“A mercifully kind review” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

Bookmark
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #103 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Novi, Michigan
“A mercifully kind review”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2006

My 4 day stay at the Astor Crown Plaza involved conflicting emotions: on the one hand it is really hard to beat up on a hotel which is struggling to come back from Catastrophe, while on the other hand there are certain minimum standards of "hotel civility" which are hard to ignore in the breach.

The ultimate "bottom line" is the price/value ratio --- in my case the rock bottom prices of the room --- avg $136 - $150 per nite (plus characteristic 18% tax + $2.00/nite surcharge) still made the hotel very, very competitive with just about anywhere else in the U.S.

I refuse to "criticize" the Astor Crown which obviously has staffing and service issues; rather I will make "gentle suggestions" which will make things more comfortable for guests:
1. Can you provide working ice machines on any other than the 4th floor?
2. Can you furnish edible room service (filet/chicken entrees were totally substandard) ?
3. Can you provide fresh towels (no add'l towels after 2 requests).
4. Can you, please, please fix the dripping faucet in the bath tub?

I missed NOLA last year because of Katrina. I was delighted to return and urge others to do likewise. It is still a great City. The Astor NOLA is a great bargain... only because the rates are so darn cheap, I will probably book there again !

JJH

p.s. Antoines and Commanders Palace back in full stride and worth the trip by themselves !

• Liked — the price & the location
  • Disliked — service has not fully recovered from hurricane
  • Tips/Secrets — don't book here if the prices rise.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Monroe, LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2006

Our first stay, and I was very pleased with the Astor Crowne. The staff was very nice and helpful. The rooms were small, but elegant, and the attention to detail was fantastic! They included earplugs (which I used), a CD to help you relax, lavendar spray for the linens and even a romance novel in the bathroom! I think details count so much. We had a view right over Canal Street, so the earplugs came in handy. Also, right on Bourbon, can't get better than that!

Stayed November 2006
houston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2006

For the price I was not impressed. After checking into our room, within 5 minutes another guest entered our room, they were given the same room. There was an swarm of ants in our room, after locating a phone in our room that worked I called housekeeping regarding the matter. They arrived and sprayed Raid over the entire bathroom , to the point that I had to spend time cleaning the Raid from counter top and floor.
Went to get ice, our floors ice machine was broken. We decided to order room service,when the bill arrived the menu item had a price increase of 52%. I called to inquire as to the difference, "you must have an old menu", I asked when did the menu change, "April 2006" , the hotel adjusted the food bill by 20%, but did not honor the old menu price.
When checking out we discovered a prior guests trash under the beds, so much for housekeeping.

If you must visit New Orleans I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ocean springs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2006

This was the best hotel I have been to. We stayed in a Hotel in New Orleans a week earlier and it was nothing compared to the service and appearance of the Astor. The exquisite staff was top-notch. Valet was top notch. I had the privilege of being helped by 2 of the finest employees i have ever encountered. Ms. Keyana and Jamie were The Best of the Best. I will be sure to re visit the Astor on my future trips to New Orleans.

Omaha, NE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2006

We just returned from a business trip to New Orleans and stayed for three nights at the Astor Crowne Plaza. We had a terrific experience.

The staff was friendly and helpful. I had a king room that faced Canal Street, but didn't notice any noise problem. My room was on the 4th floor (Executive Club floor) and the room was in excellent repair--clean and smelled pleasant. Everything worked (hair dryer, alarm clock, temperature control).

I used the onsite exercise facility. The door lock wasn't functioning the first morning I tried to use the room, so I called from the phone near the elevators and the front desk sent someone up immediately to fix the problem.

I definintely would choose this hotel again.

• Liked — Cleanliness, friendly staff, comfortable beds, location
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

I recently stayed at the Astor Crowne Plaza in New Orleans for a conference. I would have given this hotel a higher rating, had it not been for an unbelievably uncomfortable encounter with the front desk manager who was so rude and unprofessional, I sent a letter to the general manager (the first time I have ever done such a thing). Basically, there was confusion about the charge for Internet services in the hotel's business center. My classmate, without asking, got her fee waived by this manager, since she (as many of us) had to post an assignment for class. My classmate encouraged me to ask the front desk manager for the same waiver, since I also had to post an assignment. I guess I caught the manager in a bad mood, because she laid into me about expecting the same thing that another guest had (she actually said "If you overheard me comp a room for a guest, I suppose you would expect a free room too?"). I was shocked, and asked her to explain what the difference was, since we were doing an assignment for the same class. She said "we are not a consistent business, and if I want to waive a fee for someone who is polite, I will do so." I've worked in retail for years, and I know when people are being rude or impolite, and I was certainly not. She then called the Business Center and said "I have a guest here who wants to use the Internet for free. I WAS going to give it to her, but now she's just arguing with me." First of all, that was a lie--she told me flat-out that she would not waive the fee for me. And, arguing I was not doing. I don't like to draw attention to myself, nor do I complain about service. Her unprofessionalism was so egregious, however, that I felt personally insulted and wanted an answre that made sense, customer service-wise. I feel as though this front desk manager meted out such waivers as the whim struck, and grew angry when I caught her in several lies about why she waived the fee for my classmate (she said, at one point, that my classmate's laptop was broken, which would be acceptable, had my classmate owned a laptop or borrowed one, which she did not).

It was one of those situations in which you cannot believe things are unfolding as they are. This woman, the front desk manager, seemed to delight in making me beg and actually smirked when I cried (she really upset me). It was disgusting, and I am sharing this experience with anyone I know who travels. Since my letter to the hotel has not been responded to, I feel this is my only recourse.

As for the hotel itself, please read on:
Upon arrival, our group encountered nice, but very confused front desk clerks. Our group of 12 had been reserved in 4 rooms through our professor, and the front desk clerks were unable to figure out who was assigned to which room. In fact, they couldn't retrieve my professor's reservation. They gave a room to four of my peers, who moved their luggage in and began taking turns in the shower. When my professor arrived (30 minutes later), the confusion was cleared up by the front desk manager. However, the four women who had been assigned a room and moved in had to move out and go to the correct room (since the front desk clerk did not give them the right one).

The rooms themselves were ok, though the promised queen size beds were full-size. We were missing some key items in the room, including a bath mat for the shower, and we were given those very quickly. We did notice, though, that the daily room cleanup did not include any dusting, so the coffeepot, end tables, and desk had a pretty gross layer of dust the entire time we stayed there.

I did not get a chance to use the concierge services, on-site restaurant, or fitness center, so I cannot comment on those.

I highly recommend choosing another hotel on Canal Street other than Astor Crowne Plaza.

Stayed June 2006
Glasgow Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

I have just returned from my first visit to New Orleans.The hotel room i had was lovely and spacious.The beds was really comfortable.It was one of the nicest hotel rooms i had been in.The hotel staff were extremely nice.They could not do enough for you and it was genuine not fake like some people.The people i came across on my visit were all so nice.They appeared to be happy despite all the troubles they are going through.I did and tour and we passed through some of the parts still affected by the disaster.I just felt so sorry for everyone who lived there.It must have been so hard for these poor people.What they need now is tourists to get their lives back in order.My advice is go visit New Orleans do not be put off by talk of the disaster.You will enjoy yourself and meet some truly nice people.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!