My 4 day stay at the Astor Crown Plaza involved conflicting emotions: on the one hand it is really hard to beat up on a hotel which is struggling to come back from Catastrophe, while on the other hand there are certain minimum standards of "hotel civility" which are hard to ignore in the breach.
The ultimate "bottom line" is the price/value ratio --- in my case the rock bottom prices of the room --- avg $136 - $150 per nite (plus characteristic 18% tax + $2.00/nite surcharge) still made the hotel very, very competitive with just about anywhere else in the U.S.
I refuse to "criticize" the Astor Crown which obviously has staffing and service issues; rather I will make "gentle suggestions" which will make things more comfortable for guests:
1. Can you provide working ice machines on any other than the 4th floor?
2. Can you furnish edible room service (filet/chicken entrees were totally substandard) ?
3. Can you provide fresh towels (no add'l towels after 2 requests).
4. Can you, please, please fix the dripping faucet in the bath tub?
I missed NOLA last year because of Katrina. I was delighted to return and urge others to do likewise. It is still a great City. The Astor NOLA is a great bargain... only because the rates are so darn cheap, I will probably book there again !
p.s. Antoines and Commanders Palace back in full stride and worth the trip by themselves !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come experience 'Southern Hospitality' at 'The Place to Meet' in New Orleans! The Astor Crowne Plaza Hotel-New Orleans is located at the gateway to the world-famous French Quarter at the corner of historic Bourbon and Canal streets. Our location is unsurpassed in 'The Big Easy' and is within walking distance to all the downtown attractions and world-renowned restaurants! Enjoy the perfect blend of old world charm infused with modern luxury and convenience! This non-smoking 693 room, 4-diamond New Orleans hotel will welcome you with our warm and friendly staff, 24-hour in-room dining service, concierge and business services, valet parking, bell services, out-door pool, and fitness center. The Astor Crowne Plaza Hotel-New Orleans is honored to host Dickie Brennan's newest restaurant, the Bourbon House, offering seafood entrees and classic New Orleans Creole Cuisine. As the locals say Laissez les Bon Temps Rouler - Let the Good Times Roll at the Astor Crowne Plaza Hotel in New Orleans! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, IHG, Despegar.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Astor Crowne Plaza
- Crowne Plaza New Orleans