“Pretty lobby, okay rooms, inconsistent service made for a bad experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #104 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
A TripAdvisor Member
“Pretty lobby, okay rooms, inconsistent service made for a bad experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

I recently stayed at the Astor Crowne Plaza in New Orleans for a conference. I would have given this hotel a higher rating, had it not been for an unbelievably uncomfortable encounter with the front desk manager who was so rude and unprofessional, I sent a letter to the general manager (the first time I have ever done such a thing). Basically, there was confusion about the charge for Internet services in the hotel's business center. My classmate, without asking, got her fee waived by this manager, since she (as many of us) had to post an assignment for class. My classmate encouraged me to ask the front desk manager for the same waiver, since I also had to post an assignment. I guess I caught the manager in a bad mood, because she laid into me about expecting the same thing that another guest had (she actually said "If you overheard me comp a room for a guest, I suppose you would expect a free room too?"). I was shocked, and asked her to explain what the difference was, since we were doing an assignment for the same class. She said "we are not a consistent business, and if I want to waive a fee for someone who is polite, I will do so." I've worked in retail for years, and I know when people are being rude or impolite, and I was certainly not. She then called the Business Center and said "I have a guest here who wants to use the Internet for free. I WAS going to give it to her, but now she's just arguing with me." First of all, that was a lie--she told me flat-out that she would not waive the fee for me. And, arguing I was not doing. I don't like to draw attention to myself, nor do I complain about service. Her unprofessionalism was so egregious, however, that I felt personally insulted and wanted an answre that made sense, customer service-wise. I feel as though this front desk manager meted out such waivers as the whim struck, and grew angry when I caught her in several lies about why she waived the fee for my classmate (she said, at one point, that my classmate's laptop was broken, which would be acceptable, had my classmate owned a laptop or borrowed one, which she did not).

It was one of those situations in which you cannot believe things are unfolding as they are. This woman, the front desk manager, seemed to delight in making me beg and actually smirked when I cried (she really upset me). It was disgusting, and I am sharing this experience with anyone I know who travels. Since my letter to the hotel has not been responded to, I feel this is my only recourse.

As for the hotel itself, please read on:
Upon arrival, our group encountered nice, but very confused front desk clerks. Our group of 12 had been reserved in 4 rooms through our professor, and the front desk clerks were unable to figure out who was assigned to which room. In fact, they couldn't retrieve my professor's reservation. They gave a room to four of my peers, who moved their luggage in and began taking turns in the shower. When my professor arrived (30 minutes later), the confusion was cleared up by the front desk manager. However, the four women who had been assigned a room and moved in had to move out and go to the correct room (since the front desk clerk did not give them the right one).

The rooms themselves were ok, though the promised queen size beds were full-size. We were missing some key items in the room, including a bath mat for the shower, and we were given those very quickly. We did notice, though, that the daily room cleanup did not include any dusting, so the coffeepot, end tables, and desk had a pretty gross layer of dust the entire time we stayed there.

I did not get a chance to use the concierge services, on-site restaurant, or fitness center, so I cannot comment on those.

I highly recommend choosing another hotel on Canal Street other than Astor Crowne Plaza.

Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
Glasgow Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

I have just returned from my first visit to New Orleans.The hotel room i had was lovely and spacious.The beds was really comfortable.It was one of the nicest hotel rooms i had been in.The hotel staff were extremely nice.They could not do enough for you and it was genuine not fake like some people.The people i came across on my visit were all so nice.They appeared to be happy despite all the troubles they are going through.I did and tour and we passed through some of the parts still affected by the disaster.I just felt so sorry for everyone who lived there.It must have been so hard for these poor people.What they need now is tourists to get their lives back in order.My advice is go visit New Orleans do not be put off by talk of the disaster.You will enjoy yourself and meet some truly nice people.

• Stayed June 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2006

I can't say much about the restaurant, bar, work out room, or other amenities of the Astor Crowne Plaza, and I'm not certain it's yet fair to judge New Orleans hotels by strict standards. What I can say is that the five nights I spent there last month were entirely comfortable.

Our room overlooked Bourbon Street, but the noise was minimal - whether that reflects on lighter traffic on Bourbon Street, I don't know. The beds were delightful. I slept deeply each night thanks to the good mattresses, pillows, and linens. When I first walked in the room, I noticed how tidy and attractive it was. A basic room, but it had a look of better quality beddings that was appealing.

Yes, service at the hotel is shaky, but I think many places in New Orleans are having difficulties still with filling positions with experienced staff. My real quibble: $10 a day for Internet connection. I cannot understand why hotels do not offer wireless or in room connection as a standard "free" amenity.

New Orleans has a long way to go in many ways and in many areas, but the Crowne Plaza seems to be getting on track quite nicely.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
West Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2006

I stayed at the Astor Crowne Plaza for two nights while on business. Located on Canal Street just around the corner from Bourbon Street, the Astor is ideal for the tourist who wants to experience the French Quarter via a short walk. The Astor staff was friendly and cordial, including the desk clerk who asked me what type of room I preferred (a king or two full-size beds). She honored my request for a king bed on a high floor. I had a room on the top (14th) floor, which helped control noise from the constantly busy Canal Street. The room itself was quite adequate, a standard size room with a desk and USB computer hookup. The hotel "conveniently" posts no information in the room about the $9.95 + tax charge for the use of their high-speed internet access (a window pops up once you connect to the internet, requiring you to agree to its terms and charge.

The bed and bedding were quite comfortable ,one of the best hotel mattresses I have ever slept on. Just as another poster experienced, a light bulb was missing from one of the nightstand lamps. I discovered the hair dryer in the bathroom did not work and reported it at the front desk. The cordial desk clerk replied that he would have it looked into right away. The dryer was not fixed until I took on the job myself out of sheer necessity the next day.

While the hotel is a good bet for tourists, I do have one strong suggestion for those with children (including teens): Do not take your children to Bourbon Street. It's sleazier than ever and is most inappropriate for impressionable youth. I can party as hearty as anyone and have liberal veiws, but Bourbon Street has virtually no limits. Wandering drunk tourists, women openly flashing their breasts for some cheap beads, t-shirts for sale with the most vulgar words possible emblazones on them, and posters of nearly nude women in suggestive poses advertising live sex shows. Yet, I saw several families wandering Bourbon Street. Leave the kiddos at home if you intend to cruise on Bourbon!

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Williamsburg, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2006

What a nice place to stay for our first trip back to New orleans since last jazz Fest. Went with our two young kids and my mother (5 total). The staff was very friendly and helpful....from the doormen to the bell staff and esp. the front desk and concierge. The rooms are great...with the only exception that we had to ask them to reinstall a fire detector that had been removed by a previous tenant. But the beds were very comfortable with a nice view. The room service menu was not initially in the room but everything was fixed upon speaking to management on the first night. The room service food is pretty good. You do have to valet your car but they are pretty quick at retrieving it for you. They say to call ahead but most times we were instructed by a message to go down to the front to request the car so just fair warning. New Orleans has a far way to go in the recovery but do not hesitate in visiting this town. The Zoo is open as is Cafe du Monde and a few other places which seem the same. Prepare yourself that a great deal of the small businesses have found it hard to stay open. The city is in need of tourism and economic boost. The French Quarter has a few changes, of course, but it was great to feel like there is a future for this great city that has given so much to its travelers. enjoy the bar and restaurant and fantastic service!

• Stayed April 2006
Orland Park, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2006

My wife and I just got back from a 3 night stay at the Crowne Plaza on Apr 25th. The location cant be beat at the corner of Bourbon and Canal. I was a little worried about noise so I requested a high floor and a quiet room. We actually wound up with a room that faced a small inside courtyard on the fourth floor. It was extremely quiet. The front desk staff was very nice.

The second, third and fourth floors actually have 2 levels. One is called the mezzanine level and it is seperated from the other floor by about 8 steps in the hallway. It took us a couple of times to figure out we wanted 4M and not 4 in the elevator. It is all by room number.

The lobby was for the most part vacant and I didnt see anyone lounging around. The hallways are all getting caulked so they can get a coat of paint. And the carpets were getting ripped up to replace or clean them. They really needed it. This didnt pose a real problem and I assume when the work is done it will be very nice.

Our room had a 16 foot high cieling and was clean and comfortable. The light in the bathroom was rather dim and one light bulb from the light on the nightstand had been stolen. We did have some trouble with housekeeping. The first morning they showed up at 8 am and wanted to clean because they thought we were checking out. There was no do not disturb sign for us to put out. We said we were not checking out and asked them to come back later. We went out for the day and came back at 5 pm and still had not been serviced. We called the front desk who called housekeeping and it was done an hour later. We had the same lack of service the next day and at 3:30 pm had to request to have our room serviced.

The sleep amenities were nice and each bed had 7 or 8 pillows on it. It was very comfortable. The room didnt get alot of sunlight because of the small courtyard it faced. The bath amenities were very nice.

Several restaurants have limited menus or times. The Napoleon House is only open for lunch. Some places ran out of food, but for the most part everything we ate was good. If you like bbq at all you really need to try Zydeque, a cajun bbq place at Bourbon and Iberville, out standing. Also glad Red Fish Grill was as good as always. Pat OBriens no longer has popcorn. Had terrible wait staff service at Bacco, which ruined our meal.

Once the hotel public areas get cleaned up and the housekeeping staff gets back to normal this would be an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed April 2006
Arlington, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2006

Positives: Great room, courteous front desk staff.
Negatives: The lobby and common areas were filthy. There were people (not travelers) standing, and sitting around at all times of the day. I felt like this hotel was catering to FEMA more than to us.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!