“Great Staff, comfortable beds, and Great Hot Tub!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #97 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great Staff, comfortable beds, and Great Hot Tub!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2005

My wife's and my stay at the Crowne Plaza (Astor) in New Orleans was better than we ever expected! Every morning I went to the hot tub to relax. My wife, Denise, and I never had a honeymoon or a vacation in more than over nine years since we've been married. Joshua Caraway up-graded us to a suite in room #307! Randy Perkins, at our request, allowed us to stay an extra night with a low rate. LaShanda Davis, Varonna Boyd, And Sharlene Baldwin gave us "The Extra Mile" when it came to customer service. You should be very proud of the entire staff at this hotel. Even the housekeepers respected our privacy and provided excellent service. My wife and I did not have time to do all we wanted to do, so we will not hesitate to book rooms in this wonderful hotel in the near future.

Thank You Very Much!!

Bruce and Denise Detotto

• Stayed June 2005

1,545 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2005

Mr. Dejean provided excellent service and helped my party on several occasions with questions and advice. I will definitely consider staying at the Astor Crowne Plaza again for the location and quality of the hotel. Eric is definitely an asset to the Astor Crowne Plaza.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2005

This was our first year taking our group to the Crowne Plaza and also our first year with NO COMPLAINTS about the hotel from any of our guests. Needless to say... they can count on our booking YEAR AFTER YEAR!

The service was FANTASTIC. Everything was great with the checkin. All of the room keys were ready as we requested AND our rooms were on the Upper Floors OR Away from Bourbon Street with was perfect. Jeronica & Pamela at the front desk handled the couple of issues that we had with no problem, basically because we had guys that had a King Bed... and you know how upset they can be with that. Personally, Jeronica deserves a special something because she was able to handle the most difficult problems with ease and with no frustration when the other front desk personnel were easy to become frustrated with the problems that occured. She said there was not a Front Desk Manager on duty, but she was great and made some exceptions to make our guests happy.

The rooms look just the way they do on the website.

The only problem was with a mouse in our room (we were a little freaked out). But the manager had someone come up and set some traps. I guess you can only expect it being so close to Bourbon street.

We really enjoyed ourselves.

Tamika N. Crider - Travel Agent
Group Travel Specialist
On The Go, LLC

• Stayed July 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2005

I am in love with this place. The front desk staff at check- in and check out are so great. There's even an old guy who hangs out next to the desk in the daytime giving you advice on where to go and have fun. The bedding is of excellent quality and even more comfortable than the one I sleep on at home. If not for the comfortable beds, then for the great people, especially that old guy. I never did get his name.

Stayed June 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2005

I had an oppertunity to stay at this perfectly located New Orleans, LA location and I loved everthing about it. However, the most impressive aspect about my stay was the customer assistance I received. From curb side parking/valley to check-in/check-out and everthing between, my experience was the best I have had in years. Thanks to Ms Kim Johnson and Pam Green of the Crowne Plaza staff for making my stay so GREAT.

the south
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2005

Let me say the good things first: location, location, location. This hotel has the best location if you plan to spend time on Burbon street or the French Quarter. Also, upon arrival they provide you with ear plugs :) because it does get rather loud both on Burbon (hotel is on corner of Burbon and Canal) and on Canal Street. Also, the streetcars are right there, so you will have great and easy access to the heart of New Orleans. Also, the lobby is really pretty.

Now. I won't ever stay at this hotel again. First off, they charge $21.99 a night for VALET parking. Aside from checking in, we only attempted to use valet parking once... at checkout. When I called to give them my ticket number for them to pull my car up, I was greeted by a voice mail which said to for me to take my luggage out the front door and get in the shuttle where they will drive me to the parking garage and I can get out and drive my car out myself.

This is UNACCEPTABLE (and I wonder if it is criminal). I'm NOT going to pay the most I have ever paid for valet parking to be shuttled to a parking garage. So I called the front desk and they told me to call valet parking (i.e. voice mail). So then I called the "excellent service" number, a number provided upon arrival in case you have any complaints. The woman who answered didn't want to hear anything and transferred me to the front desk (where I already had called)... then I called and asked for the manager on duty, who explained that they shuttle because the traffic on Canal Street. So I looked out the window, Suday morning at 9:30, and I counted about 5 cars on Canal Street. No traffic.

The manager on duty did get my car pulled up for me and my husband. So the problem was solved-- but not before I had to wait 20 minutes for someone to take responsibility for solving this issue.

The room is pure Holiday Inn. Under the sink in the bathroom, there was a HUGE hole in the wall. The toilet paper hangs on a hook under the sink where you have to lean over to get it, and then it falls off to the floor every time you try and get some. The hair dryer didn't work, and the iron was missing half of the base so that I almost burned myself when I went to put it on the ironing board.

Room service was a trainwreck. They had told me the wait was 30 minutes. My breakfast didn't get there until one hour, 5 minutes later. The waffle was cold and soggy with much too much powdered sugar on it. My chocolate milk was made with white milk and syrup and was room temperature. They did comp. my breakfast, which was a good thing since I couldn't eat it.

They advertised a gift shop in the lobby. When I asked for directions at the front desk to the sundry shop, the girl looked at me with a blank stare because she didn't know what sundries were. When I said I wanted a coke and a snack, she sent me to the *liquor* store next door to the hotel. I should have asked for the store by name, and I still don't know if there is a sundry store IN the hotel.

The bottom line is: if this is a splurge and you normally stay at 2 star hotels, you'll probably enjoy it. If you like to stay at luxury hotels or luxury botique hotels, then the best Holiday Inn has to offer just won't measure up. Instead of this hotel, if you don't mind staying on the other side of Canal Street, I recommend the Reinassance Hotel.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, June 16, 2005
I would like to thank you for your comments. We do depend on the feedback from our guests so that adjustments can be made to make you feel comfortable when you are here. However, do to the location of the hotel (downtown corner of Bourbon and Canal streets) traffic tends to be heavy.

Unfortunately our parking garage is not located on property and the same is for many other hotels in this area. When there is a large departure, shuttling guests to the parking garage is the fastest and most efficient way for a bulk of guests to retrieve their vehicles.
We just want everyone to get their vehicles as fast as possible. We do strive for excellence at the Astor Crowne Plaza hotel.
Indio, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2005

I almost cancelled my reservation after reading many of the negative comments, especially about the front desk. When we checked in we were delighted by the gentleman who took care of us. He was very entertaining and informative, offering up what he felt were some of the "must see" items in the city. Our room was very well kept and the maid service was wonderful. Even though the in room material said they would not change the sheets until we had stayed three nights, the bed was changed daily. I would highly recommend this hotel and when I return I will likely stay there. The location is perfect to get the full flavor of New Orleans.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!