“No matter what you call it, it is still a holiday inn” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #97 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
the south
“No matter what you call it, it is still a holiday inn”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2005

Let me say the good things first: location, location, location. This hotel has the best location if you plan to spend time on Burbon street or the French Quarter. Also, upon arrival they provide you with ear plugs :) because it does get rather loud both on Burbon (hotel is on corner of Burbon and Canal) and on Canal Street. Also, the streetcars are right there, so you will have great and easy access to the heart of New Orleans. Also, the lobby is really pretty.

Now. I won't ever stay at this hotel again. First off, they charge $21.99 a night for VALET parking. Aside from checking in, we only attempted to use valet parking once... at checkout. When I called to give them my ticket number for them to pull my car up, I was greeted by a voice mail which said to for me to take my luggage out the front door and get in the shuttle where they will drive me to the parking garage and I can get out and drive my car out myself.

This is UNACCEPTABLE (and I wonder if it is criminal). I'm NOT going to pay the most I have ever paid for valet parking to be shuttled to a parking garage. So I called the front desk and they told me to call valet parking (i.e. voice mail). So then I called the "excellent service" number, a number provided upon arrival in case you have any complaints. The woman who answered didn't want to hear anything and transferred me to the front desk (where I already had called)... then I called and asked for the manager on duty, who explained that they shuttle because the traffic on Canal Street. So I looked out the window, Suday morning at 9:30, and I counted about 5 cars on Canal Street. No traffic.

The manager on duty did get my car pulled up for me and my husband. So the problem was solved-- but not before I had to wait 20 minutes for someone to take responsibility for solving this issue.

The room is pure Holiday Inn. Under the sink in the bathroom, there was a HUGE hole in the wall. The toilet paper hangs on a hook under the sink where you have to lean over to get it, and then it falls off to the floor every time you try and get some. The hair dryer didn't work, and the iron was missing half of the base so that I almost burned myself when I went to put it on the ironing board.

Room service was a trainwreck. They had told me the wait was 30 minutes. My breakfast didn't get there until one hour, 5 minutes later. The waffle was cold and soggy with much too much powdered sugar on it. My chocolate milk was made with white milk and syrup and was room temperature. They did comp. my breakfast, which was a good thing since I couldn't eat it.

They advertised a gift shop in the lobby. When I asked for directions at the front desk to the sundry shop, the girl looked at me with a blank stare because she didn't know what sundries were. When I said I wanted a coke and a snack, she sent me to the *liquor* store next door to the hotel. I should have asked for the store by name, and I still don't know if there is a sundry store IN the hotel.

The bottom line is: if this is a splurge and you normally stay at 2 star hotels, you'll probably enjoy it. If you like to stay at luxury hotels or luxury botique hotels, then the best Holiday Inn has to offer just won't measure up. Instead of this hotel, if you don't mind staying on the other side of Canal Street, I recommend the Reinassance Hotel.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, June 16, 2005
I would like to thank you for your comments. We do depend on the feedback from our guests so that adjustments can be made to make you feel comfortable when you are here. However, do to the location of the hotel (downtown corner of Bourbon and Canal streets) traffic tends to be heavy.

Unfortunately our parking garage is not located on property and the same is for many other hotels in this area. When there is a large departure, shuttling guests to the parking garage is the fastest and most efficient way for a bulk of guests to retrieve their vehicles.
We just want everyone to get their vehicles as fast as possible. We do strive for excellence at the Astor Crowne Plaza hotel.

1,553 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
Indio, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2005

I almost cancelled my reservation after reading many of the negative comments, especially about the front desk. When we checked in we were delighted by the gentleman who took care of us. He was very entertaining and informative, offering up what he felt were some of the "must see" items in the city. Our room was very well kept and the maid service was wonderful. Even though the in room material said they would not change the sheets until we had stayed three nights, the bed was changed daily. I would highly recommend this hotel and when I return I will likely stay there. The location is perfect to get the full flavor of New Orleans.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2005

The staff was exceptionally polite & helpful! From the valet to the front desk staff, EVERYONE at this hotel ROCKED!!! You will not find better service in this city. Rochelle Williams & Eric Dejean were so helpful and friendly during check-in that it started our trip off with a pleasant aura! THANKS!!!

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2005

The Astor Hotel is located at the corner of Canal and Bourbon Street. There are so many things with-in walking distance, the Bourbon Street strip, Antique and boutique shops on Royal Street, Harah's Casino and the Riverwalk with its associated shopping mall, just a few blocks away. The hotel was beautiful and the staff goes out of thier way to make your stay pleasureable.

Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2005

My husband and I just returned from a weekend trip to New Orleans. I booked our hotel from an online travel service, so it was sight unseen. I was very pleased with the location and room at the Crowne Plaza Astor. One day of our three day stay the room was not cleaned by 3:00PM, but other than that, the hotel was a real pleasure for both of us. The most comfortable bed I have ever slept in at a hotel, and the hotel provided earplugs, lavender spray and an audio CD to help guests relax and get a good night's sleep. Since the hotel is right at the corner of Bourbon and Canal Streets, some folks may need the help! The staff was very courteous and friendly. Several of them went out of their way to help us enjoy our weekend and give two newcomers some tips on where to go, what to see!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2005

We enjoyed our stay at the Astor Crowne Plaza. It is located in the French Quarter, which is a great place to visit. The service was excellent especially, Susie who was very friendly and helpful during our stay. I recommend this hotel to anyone who would like to experience a true New Orleans adventure.

Stayed May 2005
ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2005

I have stayed at the Astor Crowne a total of three times. I love this hotel and will not think to stay anywhere else when i visit New Orleans. Besides the excellent location, the front desk supervisor Erick Dejan (not sure if i spelled it right) made us feel really welcomed. Service and a smile really goes a long way. See you next year!

Stayed March 2005

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!