“Loved it” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #97 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
new york
“Loved it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2005

we stayed here last labor weekend and i kept meaning to write a review, we were originally booked into the sister hotel but when arrived found out we were staying in the crowne plaza...great, it was a better star! the rooms were nicely decorated and the convience of the location was the best for us, we could just fall in the door after a night around bourbon st, but it was quiet too, the pool was a nice place to relax after a hard days sightseeing, the staff were nice and friendly. I love new orleans and when i go back I will definataly stay at the crowne plaza.

• Stayed September 2004

1,550 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2005

The hotel itself is in a nice location but the overall experience wasn't top rate service. I would not recommend doing any tour bookings with the hotel concierge - terrible service and they will try and sell you anything. Be careful and my advice is call the tour company direct as the hotel adds their cut to the cost.

• Stayed March 2005
Saskatoon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2005

Great location and great staff. Close to the quarter but far enough away from the action so it's relatively quiet. Our room was in great shape, very clean and the bathroom facilities were top notch. A little pricey but well worth it.

• Stayed February 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2005

My friend and I stayed here, and we were overwhelmed by the service. The staff was overly polite ("Southern Hospitality," indeed), the rooms were beautiful and clean, and the restaurant attached is excellent. The location (on Canal, just on the edge of the French Quarter) was perfect. I will stay here again and again!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2005

We are a mid-30's couple and were a little concerned about staying right on Bourbon St. in the thick of things, as we haven't been in a "party" mode for quite a while. 3-night stay (Thur - Sun) in mid-March.

When we first arrived, we were given a 2nd floor room right above Bourbon. Thanks to some advice from the bellman concerning the noise, no way we were staying this close to Bourbon!!!! So, we trudged down to the front desk to request a room off of Bourbon. Like another reviewer experienced, we were told to try a new room that was off Bourbon, but when we got to the new room, it was still on Bourbon. The front desk outright lied. My guess is that they only give you rooms off of Bourbon if you REALLY complain a lot.

Anyway, the room they gave us was on the 7th floor and this worked perfectly. No problem with noise if you are above the 5th floor or so. Saturday night a street band played loudly until about 11PM, but that was it. The rest of the stay was as quiet as could be within the room.

Great room, excellent beds! Very friendly staff overall.....except for the front desk.

It seems like the front desk staff are trained to be non-compliant with an attitude. Take home message: Get what you want and don't worry about offending them. Do what you have to do and treat them exactly the way they treat you; that is, with no respect whatsoever.

When I go back to this hotel (and I will), I will take great pleasure in making the front desk staff miserable every chance I get. They deserve it.

OK, so anyway, great stay overall. Would definitely go back. Excellent location and lots of sleep when we wanted it!

• Stayed March 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2005

Great resturant, wonderful rooms, and nice location. Stayed their three night with two other couples from California. I should mention the price it was unbelievable 89.00 per night. on -----. They have a nice lounge on the 4 th floor. The service was very good not quite excellent but close. We will try to stay here next year before our cruise.

• Stayed February 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2005

While this hotel was not horrible, it did not live up to my expectations. The room was up to par as far as amenities and cleanliness. Again, nothing exceptional, especially considering the price.

The good:

1. The bellmen were uniformly excellent. Friendly, polite, efficient, just fantastic.

Some of the problems:

1. I had reserved a king bed. When we arrived, I was told that I had to "upgrade" for an additional $60/night to get one.

2. While checking in, I requested a room away from Bourbon Street, in order to have more quiet. They agreed, and then put me in a room over Bourbon Street anyway. Since it was on the 9th floor, the noise was not terrible, but they still simply ignored the request, even after confirming it verbally.

3. The front desk staff was not uniformly professional, polite, or efficient. They pouted about the crowd that they had to deal with, and seemed more like the typical staff at a Best Western or Motel 6.

4. On the morning of our departure, I arranged with the concierge to have a taxi pick my wife and I up for the trip to the airport at a certain time, and was assured there would be one there. When the time came, a different person was at the conceirge desk, and knew nothing of the cab. When it was 15 minutes past the arranged time, she called the OTHER concierge to have him straighten it out, rather than simply calling another cab, or informing us that it was simple to hail a cab outside the front door. She just told us to wait, and that the cab driver would show up. Then she proceeded to pick up her purse and disappear, leaving no one at the desk. We then just went out the front door and got a cab from the LINE of them waiting there. (I know, next time just do it myself. I just had figured that the service offered to me was offered for some reason. Like convenience?)

All in all, I would not pay the money to stay here again.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!