“Great place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #97 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Saskatoon
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2005

Great location and great staff. Close to the quarter but far enough away from the action so it's relatively quiet. Our room was in great shape, very clean and the bathroom facilities were top notch. A little pricey but well worth it.

• Stayed February 2005

1,549 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2005

My friend and I stayed here, and we were overwhelmed by the service. The staff was overly polite ("Southern Hospitality," indeed), the rooms were beautiful and clean, and the restaurant attached is excellent. The location (on Canal, just on the edge of the French Quarter) was perfect. I will stay here again and again!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2005

We are a mid-30's couple and were a little concerned about staying right on Bourbon St. in the thick of things, as we haven't been in a "party" mode for quite a while. 3-night stay (Thur - Sun) in mid-March.

When we first arrived, we were given a 2nd floor room right above Bourbon. Thanks to some advice from the bellman concerning the noise, no way we were staying this close to Bourbon!!!! So, we trudged down to the front desk to request a room off of Bourbon. Like another reviewer experienced, we were told to try a new room that was off Bourbon, but when we got to the new room, it was still on Bourbon. The front desk outright lied. My guess is that they only give you rooms off of Bourbon if you REALLY complain a lot.

Anyway, the room they gave us was on the 7th floor and this worked perfectly. No problem with noise if you are above the 5th floor or so. Saturday night a street band played loudly until about 11PM, but that was it. The rest of the stay was as quiet as could be within the room.

Great room, excellent beds! Very friendly staff overall.....except for the front desk.

It seems like the front desk staff are trained to be non-compliant with an attitude. Take home message: Get what you want and don't worry about offending them. Do what you have to do and treat them exactly the way they treat you; that is, with no respect whatsoever.

When I go back to this hotel (and I will), I will take great pleasure in making the front desk staff miserable every chance I get. They deserve it.

OK, so anyway, great stay overall. Would definitely go back. Excellent location and lots of sleep when we wanted it!

• Stayed March 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2005

Great resturant, wonderful rooms, and nice location. Stayed their three night with two other couples from California. I should mention the price it was unbelievable 89.00 per night. on -----. They have a nice lounge on the 4 th floor. The service was very good not quite excellent but close. We will try to stay here next year before our cruise.

• Stayed February 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2005

While this hotel was not horrible, it did not live up to my expectations. The room was up to par as far as amenities and cleanliness. Again, nothing exceptional, especially considering the price.

The good:

1. The bellmen were uniformly excellent. Friendly, polite, efficient, just fantastic.

Some of the problems:

1. I had reserved a king bed. When we arrived, I was told that I had to "upgrade" for an additional $60/night to get one.

2. While checking in, I requested a room away from Bourbon Street, in order to have more quiet. They agreed, and then put me in a room over Bourbon Street anyway. Since it was on the 9th floor, the noise was not terrible, but they still simply ignored the request, even after confirming it verbally.

3. The front desk staff was not uniformly professional, polite, or efficient. They pouted about the crowd that they had to deal with, and seemed more like the typical staff at a Best Western or Motel 6.

4. On the morning of our departure, I arranged with the concierge to have a taxi pick my wife and I up for the trip to the airport at a certain time, and was assured there would be one there. When the time came, a different person was at the conceirge desk, and knew nothing of the cab. When it was 15 minutes past the arranged time, she called the OTHER concierge to have him straighten it out, rather than simply calling another cab, or informing us that it was simple to hail a cab outside the front door. She just told us to wait, and that the cab driver would show up. Then she proceeded to pick up her purse and disappear, leaving no one at the desk. We then just went out the front door and got a cab from the LINE of them waiting there. (I know, next time just do it myself. I just had figured that the service offered to me was offered for some reason. Like convenience?)

All in all, I would not pay the money to stay here again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2005

My wife and I go to New Orleans 3 or 4 times a year and we've found that The Astor is the best hotel in the city for location, ameneties and value. It is generally priced about $100 less per night than say, the Fairmont, La Pavillion, Monteleone or Omni. The hotel is surprisingly quiet given it's French Quarter location, but just in case, request a room away from Bourbon and Canal. The Bourbon St entrance puts you directly across the street from the fabled Storeyville Lounge, where you can hear Nawlin's Queen of the Blues, Marva Wright every Thursday. The Acme Oyster House is located near the Hotel's back entrance. The St Charles street car stops directly across Canal from the Astor and you can cimb aboard for magical stops along the mossy tree shaded streets of the Garden District, such as Commander's Palace, Audabon Park and Magazine St. We found the Concierge to be invaluable, the staff very accomadating and The Astor's extensive amenities will satisfy even discriminaging travelers.

New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2005

The Crowne Plaza is very convenient at the edge of the French Quarter and right on the Canal and St. Charles Streetcar Lines. We stayed on the 7th floor in mid January and we could hear the bass from the bands and whooping until 4am during the weeknights even up that high, so i can't imagine how loud it must be in the French Quarter. They give you a bag of earplugs and a blindfold on your beds. I was a little disappointed that the rooms were not as nice as the Crowne Plaza I stayed in San Francisco (which had free internet connection unlike this one) and they are smallish. I made the mistake of walking barefoot to get some ice and the hall carpets feel like they haven't been cleaned for years. This may not be their fault but a fact of New Orleans. The streets reek of sour beer even though the store owners hose the sidewalks down regularly. It looks like one of the previous guests had spilled a maragarita on a corner of the room carpet because it was still a little sticky and stained red. The rooms were a good value ( I paid $90/ night through easyclicktravel) but I probably would pick a hotel a little farther down Canal street toward the Convention center and away from the Bourbon street noise. Walking back to our hotel at night past the strip clubs and the drunks was a little scary.

• Stayed January 2005

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!