“Breakfast to die for” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #98 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
“Breakfast to die for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2005

Great resturant, wonderful rooms, and nice location. Stayed their three night with two other couples from California. I should mention the price it was unbelievable 89.00 per night. on -----. They have a nice lounge on the 4 th floor. The service was very good not quite excellent but close. We will try to stay here next year before our cruise.

• Stayed February 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2005

While this hotel was not horrible, it did not live up to my expectations. The room was up to par as far as amenities and cleanliness. Again, nothing exceptional, especially considering the price.

The good:

1. The bellmen were uniformly excellent. Friendly, polite, efficient, just fantastic.

Some of the problems:

1. I had reserved a king bed. When we arrived, I was told that I had to "upgrade" for an additional $60/night to get one.

2. While checking in, I requested a room away from Bourbon Street, in order to have more quiet. They agreed, and then put me in a room over Bourbon Street anyway. Since it was on the 9th floor, the noise was not terrible, but they still simply ignored the request, even after confirming it verbally.

3. The front desk staff was not uniformly professional, polite, or efficient. They pouted about the crowd that they had to deal with, and seemed more like the typical staff at a Best Western or Motel 6.

4. On the morning of our departure, I arranged with the concierge to have a taxi pick my wife and I up for the trip to the airport at a certain time, and was assured there would be one there. When the time came, a different person was at the conceirge desk, and knew nothing of the cab. When it was 15 minutes past the arranged time, she called the OTHER concierge to have him straighten it out, rather than simply calling another cab, or informing us that it was simple to hail a cab outside the front door. She just told us to wait, and that the cab driver would show up. Then she proceeded to pick up her purse and disappear, leaving no one at the desk. We then just went out the front door and got a cab from the LINE of them waiting there. (I know, next time just do it myself. I just had figured that the service offered to me was offered for some reason. Like convenience?)

All in all, I would not pay the money to stay here again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2005

My wife and I go to New Orleans 3 or 4 times a year and we've found that The Astor is the best hotel in the city for location, ameneties and value. It is generally priced about $100 less per night than say, the Fairmont, La Pavillion, Monteleone or Omni. The hotel is surprisingly quiet given it's French Quarter location, but just in case, request a room away from Bourbon and Canal. The Bourbon St entrance puts you directly across the street from the fabled Storeyville Lounge, where you can hear Nawlin's Queen of the Blues, Marva Wright every Thursday. The Acme Oyster House is located near the Hotel's back entrance. The St Charles street car stops directly across Canal from the Astor and you can cimb aboard for magical stops along the mossy tree shaded streets of the Garden District, such as Commander's Palace, Audabon Park and Magazine St. We found the Concierge to be invaluable, the staff very accomadating and The Astor's extensive amenities will satisfy even discriminaging travelers.

New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2005

The Crowne Plaza is very convenient at the edge of the French Quarter and right on the Canal and St. Charles Streetcar Lines. We stayed on the 7th floor in mid January and we could hear the bass from the bands and whooping until 4am during the weeknights even up that high, so i can't imagine how loud it must be in the French Quarter. They give you a bag of earplugs and a blindfold on your beds. I was a little disappointed that the rooms were not as nice as the Crowne Plaza I stayed in San Francisco (which had free internet connection unlike this one) and they are smallish. I made the mistake of walking barefoot to get some ice and the hall carpets feel like they haven't been cleaned for years. This may not be their fault but a fact of New Orleans. The streets reek of sour beer even though the store owners hose the sidewalks down regularly. It looks like one of the previous guests had spilled a maragarita on a corner of the room carpet because it was still a little sticky and stained red. The rooms were a good value ( I paid $90/ night through easyclicktravel) but I probably would pick a hotel a little farther down Canal street toward the Convention center and away from the Bourbon street noise. Walking back to our hotel at night past the strip clubs and the drunks was a little scary.

• Stayed January 2005
Houston, Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2005

Ignore the clown who gave this hotel a bad review because of parking. If you talk nice, they'll get your car for you. This place is the ONLY place to stay if you want to hang out in the French Quarter. Everything is in easy walking distance unless you're infirmed. Not noisy like the small hotels that are in the middle of the Quarter, this place is quiet, clean and has a great staff. We never used our car the whole time we were there and we went to the Riverwalk, Harrah's, NOLA Restaurant, Pat O'Brien's, Brennan's, etc. all by foot and easy walking. If you stay anywhere else and then see this place and where it's located, you will kick yourself in the butt!

Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2005

We stayed at the Astor between the 27th of December and the 5th of January and had a great experience. Here's a critique of our stay:

LOCATION: If it's possible to be at the edge of the quarter and in the heart of it at the same time, then that describes the Astor. One door goes out to Bourbon and the other to Canal St. It's great if you want to experience the quarter, but want to leave it and look at other sites as well. This is the perfect hotel if you're NOT driving. We never even needed our car. The Canal St. cable car and the Garden District car both stop right across the street from the hotel.

ROOMS: The rooms were exceptionally clean and very comfortable. The "sleep amenities" are wonderful. They include super pillows, room blackening drapes, eye masks, and some sort of sleep CD but we never saw that while we were there. We were on the 9th floor, away from Bourbon, and even on New Year's Eve it was quiet. The hotel was full during that time for the Sugar Bowl, but it was still really quiet. Loved that! Room had great lamps too, if you like to read.

HOUSEKEEPING: Rooms were clean (and I'm a germ freak so that says something). I also loved that the duvet covers were pristine white, so you KNEW that they'd been freshly washed before you got there. It made the whole room feel clean. Housekeeping staff were wonderful--everyone spoke to us and made us feel welcome. Wish I could say the same for the....

FRONT DESK: Sadly, this wasn't the highest point of our stay. From check-in on, the front desk staff just wasn't very friendly or helpful. We dealt with them daily on various things and they acted like we were inconveniencing them every time. No smiles, no "Good Morning," nothing. It's too bad because I've always felt like the front desk sets the tone for the whole stay. The management seemed great---maybe it's hard to find good help there. Note to the Astor: let your housekeeping department come in and train the front desk on how to make your guests feel #1.

RATE: This is the best part. The value was unbelievable. We paid $119 a night for every night but the 30th and 31st (those were around $249). Even when they were full during the Sugar Bowl, our rate didn't go up. In my opinion, this is the BEST located hotel in the quarter, and the rate is better than any other hotel we checked. By the way, we stayed with our 8 and 10 year old, used room service, and found that to be a great value, too.

DON'T MISS: There are so many things to see and do, but here are my favorites. THE PRALINE CONNECTION GOSPEL BRUNCH--wow is all I can say. These women can SING! My kids (who thought they were going to be bored) had a great time and got invited up on stage which was the highlight of their trip. DICKIE BRENNAN'S STEAK HOUSE: Best meal I've ever had and right around the corner from the Astor. HAUNTED HISTORY GHOST TOUR: Great way to "sneak" some history lessons on your kids. SWAMP TOUR: Didn't really want to do this one, but it ended up being a great day--even with no gators to be seen. Have a great time in N'Awlins!

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2005

I used TripAdvisor reviews to select this hotel. We went at the end of September, 2004, for about one week. The entrance and lobby are very elegant and pretty. The staff is friendly and helpful. The concierge is great! I RECOMMEND YOU USE HIS SERVICES when you are there, and even before you go there; he can guarantee your reservations, and will refund your deposits if you have to cancel--you can't do that if you make reservations directly with a company. I had to cancel one event, and there was no problem getting my refund from him.

The rooms are also nice and clean, really soft and comfortable beds. Do get a higher floor if you want it QUIET, though! Music is VERY LOUD off of Bourbon Street. This IS on the corner of Bourbon St. and Canal St. so it is in the middle of all the action. However, my only gripe is that because of its location, the streets are dirty, there is a strong smell of liquor, and the sewer, etc. as you walk onto Bourbon St.; it's not that clean or safe to walk around in at night by yourself; the surroundings of the hotel are not fancy or elegant like the inside of the hotel. However, once inside the hotel you DO feel safe inside.

It has a nice, clean exercise room, albeit small. It also has a small pool and jacuzzi, but they are also nice and clean.

In the bar, the milk bourbon is not very good, it is overly sweet. The restaurant inside the hotel has good food, but not cheap, and we did have REALLY BAD SERVICE, although the manager did take care of it.

Overall a pleasant experience and a beautiful hotel, if only it was in a better, nicer, cleaner location.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!