“Conveniently located hotel made for a great stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #105 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Colorado Springs, CO
“Conveniently located hotel made for a great stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

Went to New Orleans with a friend for the first weekend in May following a business trip in the vicinity. We booked the hotel room through a price-bidding travel site and ended up being very pleased with the results.

The hotel is located at the corner of Bourbon and Canal Streets and is right in the middle of all of the action. We had a room overlooking Bourbon Street and we didn't notice any of the noise the first night we were there, but on the second night it was quite a bit louder from approximately 11 pm until 5 am or so. Even so, the noise was not so loud that it was bothersome as we are not light sleepers, but if you are a light sleeper I would recommend asking for a room on the other side of the hotel. It also helps that Crowne Plaza hotels offer free sleep aid kits in their rooms and earplugs are included in the kit.

We'd heard horror stories about the valet parking at the hotels in the area and instead parked in a nearby parking garage, which was less expensive and we had no trouble or wait in getting the car when we were departing.

The hotel is newly renovated and was very nice - plenty of marble and crystal in the lobby, and new carpeting on the floor we were staying on. All of the staff we came in contact with were very pleasant and willing to do whatever they could to improve our stay. The rooms are fairly standard, but nicely decorated and with very comfortable beds. It was within walking distance of anything you might want to see in the French Quarter, the Mississippi River, and the Central Business District. Guided tours for anything you might want (cemeteries, swamps, haunted tours) are all offered in the lobby. We spent the majority of our time simply walking around the French Quarter and exploring the historical streets and staying in a hotel that with such a great location made that much easier.

I don't recommend the room service unless you are desperate. Like room service in most places, it is over-priced and there are many much better options only steps away on Bourbon Street.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again - great location, great service, great staff, and and overall really nice stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

It was a very nice stay. The location is very convenient and is close to everything.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

This was the only hotel room in the city as we decided to travel last minute. The hotel was nice enough for what we paid for it, I think we paid $150. It was a no frills kind of place with small rooms but I've stayed in much worse in New Orleans. If the price is right we will stay again. My one complaint was the valet situation. There was a line 2 blocks long to valet and check in which took over 40 minutes and it took about 20 minutes to get our car when we checked out on Saturday morning. They lost our car somewhere in one of the parking garages, they apparently have two garages.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

The hotel guest staff are excellent. The rooms are great. Can't ask for a better place and it's close to everything in the French Quarter.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

The service and location of this hotel were good. If this hotel had a little more attention to detail it would have been much better, as the rooms were large. We also got a good deal online (less then $100/night), and if I had paid more I would have been more upset. Unfortunately, the person who had been in our room before us had partied a little too hard over Mardi Gras. The bathroom has brown "stuff" on the door and shower curtain, and the bed pad was stained as well. We had to call housekeeping to change the bed that night (Denise was great) and then the next day had to re-request that shower curtain be changed (which it was) and the room be better cleaned (which it wasn't). Forget the pool - its like 10'x5'. The concierge was awful, as they often are, and is obviously getting kickbacks from the restaurants. FYI - don't bother to eat on Bourbon Street. Restaurants Herbsaint, Gumbo Shop and Olivers (2 blocks from hotel) were excellent. It is important to remember New Orleans is still unsafe in certain areas. We chatted with a local who turned out to be a prosecutor - she said try not to carry a purse, if you get mugged give them the purse (she stressed this as more then usual common sense, like she's seen what happens) and definitely stay in the french quarter area at night. We did venture out via the streetcar at like 9pm, in well-traveled areas, but you had to be careful. We even had a local couple advise us to go down a different street as a "sketchy" person had just gone down a road were were about to take, in a very nice section of the FQ. Don't let the warnings scare you though - Nawlin's is a great time and safe as long as you use common sense. I just was surprise how some people really warned you about safety, and other's never mentioned it (our concierge never mentioned safety even after we asked about a restaurant that was in an area you shouldn't be in unless you were parking valet).

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
brcaro, Director of Revenue Management at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, April 1, 2009
I apologize on behalf of the management and staff for the issues that you experienced during your stay with us. i have taken the liberty of forwarding this information to our General Manager, Director of Housekeeping and Chief Engineer so that we can research the parties involved in the preparing of your room.

Again, please accept my deepest apologies and I hope that you will give us an opportunity in the future to show you the excellent product and service that we offer at the Astor Crowne Plaza Hotel - New Orleans.

Susie C Anderson
Jefferson, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2009

My husband and I come to New Orleans at least twice a year and we have stayed at the Astor 4 times. We will continually keep coming back to the Astor because of the wonderfully helpful staff, clean rooms, great room service and perfect location. Each time we have been, our rooms have been upgraded and once they gave us the honeymoon suite because it was our anniversary. I have never had a bad experience with this hotel or any of the staff. We will stay at this hotel again and again. We would like to thank the staff for making us feel so welcome and we will see you again in April 2009.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

I stayed there for a week, Feb. 18th through the 24th of this yr (2009) and was overall satisfied with my time there. My hotel room was facing Canal Street where most of the parades could be seen. The view was fantastic and made it worth waking up in the morning to. The weather at the time was great, big change from what I'd been experiencing in NYC, but I didn't pack quite right for it! So, being able to watch the parades from the comfort of my room was fantastic!

The staff was always friendly and willing to go above and beyond whatever you needed. My only grievance is that when I arrived at my room I didn't have a hotel information packet. When I wanted room service and called for a menu (which was not in the room) I did not receive one. It took four calls to both front desk and room service as well as me going downstairs and requesting one for them to come up and bring me a copy. I later got additional calls about being sent a menu, even though I'd already gotten it. I'm sure though, that if it weren't for Mardi Gras, they'd have been more attentive and prompt.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
brcaro, Director of Revenue at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, March 19, 2009
I apologize for the issues that you had obtaining a room service menu during your stay. The hotel has recently replaced all guest room directories as well as room service menus and I expect that you would not encounter this situation in the future.

We appreciate your patience with the matter and look forward to having you again as our guest very soon!

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!