“Lacked Attention to Cleanliness” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #102 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Connecticut
“Lacked Attention to Cleanliness”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

The service and location of this hotel were good. If this hotel had a little more attention to detail it would have been much better, as the rooms were large. We also got a good deal online (less then $100/night), and if I had paid more I would have been more upset. Unfortunately, the person who had been in our room before us had partied a little too hard over Mardi Gras. The bathroom has brown "stuff" on the door and shower curtain, and the bed pad was stained as well. We had to call housekeeping to change the bed that night (Denise was great) and then the next day had to re-request that shower curtain be changed (which it was) and the room be better cleaned (which it wasn't). Forget the pool - its like 10'x5'. The concierge was awful, as they often are, and is obviously getting kickbacks from the restaurants. FYI - don't bother to eat on Bourbon Street. Restaurants Herbsaint, Gumbo Shop and Olivers (2 blocks from hotel) were excellent. It is important to remember New Orleans is still unsafe in certain areas. We chatted with a local who turned out to be a prosecutor - she said try not to carry a purse, if you get mugged give them the purse (she stressed this as more then usual common sense, like she's seen what happens) and definitely stay in the french quarter area at night. We did venture out via the streetcar at like 9pm, in well-traveled areas, but you had to be careful. We even had a local couple advise us to go down a different street as a "sketchy" person had just gone down a road were were about to take, in a very nice section of the FQ. Don't let the warnings scare you though - Nawlin's is a great time and safe as long as you use common sense. I just was surprise how some people really warned you about safety, and other's never mentioned it (our concierge never mentioned safety even after we asked about a restaurant that was in an area you shouldn't be in unless you were parking valet).

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
brcaro, Director of Revenue Management at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, April 1, 2009
I apologize on behalf of the management and staff for the issues that you experienced during your stay with us. i have taken the liberty of forwarding this information to our General Manager, Director of Housekeeping and Chief Engineer so that we can research the parties involved in the preparing of your room.

Again, please accept my deepest apologies and I hope that you will give us an opportunity in the future to show you the excellent product and service that we offer at the Astor Crowne Plaza Hotel - New Orleans.

Susie C Anderson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
Jefferson, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2009

My husband and I come to New Orleans at least twice a year and we have stayed at the Astor 4 times. We will continually keep coming back to the Astor because of the wonderfully helpful staff, clean rooms, great room service and perfect location. Each time we have been, our rooms have been upgraded and once they gave us the honeymoon suite because it was our anniversary. I have never had a bad experience with this hotel or any of the staff. We will stay at this hotel again and again. We would like to thank the staff for making us feel so welcome and we will see you again in April 2009.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

I stayed there for a week, Feb. 18th through the 24th of this yr (2009) and was overall satisfied with my time there. My hotel room was facing Canal Street where most of the parades could be seen. The view was fantastic and made it worth waking up in the morning to. The weather at the time was great, big change from what I'd been experiencing in NYC, but I didn't pack quite right for it! So, being able to watch the parades from the comfort of my room was fantastic!

The staff was always friendly and willing to go above and beyond whatever you needed. My only grievance is that when I arrived at my room I didn't have a hotel information packet. When I wanted room service and called for a menu (which was not in the room) I did not receive one. It took four calls to both front desk and room service as well as me going downstairs and requesting one for them to come up and bring me a copy. I later got additional calls about being sent a menu, even though I'd already gotten it. I'm sure though, that if it weren't for Mardi Gras, they'd have been more attentive and prompt.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
brcaro, Director of Revenue at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, March 19, 2009
I apologize for the issues that you had obtaining a room service menu during your stay. The hotel has recently replaced all guest room directories as well as room service menus and I expect that you would not encounter this situation in the future.

We appreciate your patience with the matter and look forward to having you again as our guest very soon!
Titusville, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

First of all let me start with the positiives:

- excellent location for Mardi Gras, there is a balcony on Canal st. (also on Bourbon st.) that most parades cross in front of, and it was open to guests most of the time - however it is part of their banquet facilities so when a party was there we couldn't use the balcony
- also the room is on the corner of Canal and Bourbon, and Royal is the other side of the block, all pretty major and interesting streets in the French Quarter
- room service was decent, though expensive as most room service is. Ordered diet coke, got regular coke in a glass bottle (only 8oz., and for 50cents more than the 12oz. bottles that come in the vending machines). Fancy sure, but I wanted a diet coke and I would rather have a larger plastic bottle then a smaller glass bottle.
- room was clean, and maids usually came in the afternoon, if you weren't ready earlier (great for those staying out late due to Mardi Gras). Some hotels, if you aren't ready when they are your room isn't cleaned, so the fact that they actually came back later was a plus
- the Crowne Plaza has a whole sleeping better promotion where they give you a relaxation CD (cd player/clock in the room), eye mask, ear plugs, and lavender pillow spray, and a drape clip. Not really necessary for me or my husband, but I find it nice to get extras and I could use these items on long plane trips.
- our room faced Canal St. so we had a view of all the Mardi Gras parades/post parade action which was nice when we still watched things but it was getting late.

Okay, time for the negatives:
- our mattress was so worn it was noticably U-Shaped to the naked eye. Seeing several other rooms in our hallway during cleanings, many looked similar, though ours looked the worst. It made it difficult to sleep.
- the setup of the hotel is very confusing. There seem to be several seperate buildings that only connect by way of the lobby. When I tried to find a staircase to use instead of the elevator, I found it difficult to find stairs because some were not well labeled, and I could not find a staircase that went from my floor (3) to the lobby. One staircase led to the outside on Royal St. and one only took me to the second floor. Thank god the power never went out or there wasn't a fire or something, because I'm not so sure I could have gotten out safely and in a timely manner.
- our room was on floor 3, so we took the elevator to floor 3, had to walk down stairs with our luggage, and then up stairs, wtf? so then we started taking the elevator to the 3M level (aka 3 mezzanine) which eliminated the down set of stairs, but we still had to walk up one set every time, not really a huge deal, but sorta weird
- during Mardi Gras we had to wear wristbands the whole weekend, (3 days for us, but could be longer depending on your stay) and you have to pay $20 if you lose it. This is pretty standard for most area hotels during Mardi Gras but we got harassed about my husband's wristband because it was broken before he could even put it on. Some of the security guards were harassing him saying he would have to pay the $20, and they took the wristband out of his hand, and my husband asked for it back "so he could show it to the front desk." Luckily he was persistent about that because when we went up to the front desk to get a new one (pissed cause we thought we'd have to pay the $20) the clerk said that since we had brought the old one back, we wouldn't need to pay the $20. We were lucky, but it made me think the security guards were trying to scam us because they tried to take the broken wristband away from my husband. If he hadn't asked for it back, we would've been charged the $20.
- the door to the room is not very sound proof, so people talking on their cell phones in the hall or coming back at 6 am from a night of partying were disturbing to our sleep.
- for a long time, we thought that when nearby rooms closed their doors, our door slammed as well, this wasn't the case, but the nearby doors slamming was SO LOUD that we thought it was occurring in our room. Again, people coming back from partying late at night/in the morning were very disturbing to our sleep. when they slammed the door.

All in all it was a pretty good stay, the worst part was the bad mattress...if you end up with one, just try to make sure you get a better bed.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

We just stayed the weekend at the Astor for Mardi Gras. The hotel made accomodations for a shuttle for parking since the streets were closed for the parade routes which was nice. We were upgraded to the executive level upon check-in (which was GREAT since there was a welcome package and free breakfast in the club room). Room was very large, quiet, clean, and the bed was really comfortable. The location couldn't have been better. We were even allowed to have a birds-eye view of the parades from the 2nd floor balcony as they came down Canal street. It was on the opposite side of Canal for the parades, and not close enough for beads..but the view was spectacular of the crowds and floats.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
cincinnati
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

I am staying at the Astor right now during Mardi Gras. The rooms are okay, but the heat doesn't work and for some reason the water will completey shut off and turn turn back on while showering. Pretty annoying. I've called twice about the heat and both times I've been told it actually does work, but it takes awhile and it is sensitive to how many people are in the room. That's some good BS. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

This hotel has few amenities. The do not anything to do with the Priority Club. You may get the points but that is it.
The heat in the room did not work. The restaurant Claims no association with the hotel.
Would reccommend the Sheraton or Marriott.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!