“Great Location and Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #98 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania
“Great Location and Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2004

This hotel was fantastic! The rooms were very clean, beds oh so comfy, and it's in a great location if you want to be near the action of Bourbon Street. We had a 9th floor room. We couldn't see Bourbon Street, but we could hear it. (Not too bad though.) I'm sure it is noisy on the lower floors. Check in/check out was very fast and smooth. We arrived at 11:00 AM and got right into our room. The concierge was very helpful also.

Eateries - The Gumbo Shop was very good and not terribley expensive. The French Market Cafe was OK. You pay for the atmosphere there because it is an open air cafe. We had a bad experience at the Court of Two Sisters; found a large piece of glass in the artichoke salad. The Cheesecake Bistro on St. Charles Ave. is very good and not as expensive as the French Quarter restaurants. Pat O'Brien's in the Jackson Brewery is also very nice. Great view of the river!

Email me if you have any specific questions.

1,591 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2004

The Astor Crowne Plaza is a wonderful hotel! Check-in and check-out was quick and easy, the room was HUGE, beds were oh so comfy and the employees were very nice and helpful. It's location is perfect...right on the corner of Bourbon and Canal. The street car runs right in front of the hotel on Canal, so you can ride to the Riverwalk, French Market, etc. as opposed to walking or taking a cab. We travel to New Orleans frequently and we will definitely stay here again and again.

• Stayed August 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2004

The hotel was OK, nothing spectacular, although the location is prime. Stayed here w/ my husband during a conference at the end of April 2004. (Would have preferred to stay at the Marriott just a few steps next door, but they were already booked and their price was slightly higher). Our hotel room had some sort of leak which made the carpeting near our bed soaking wet the 2nd night we stayed there. We informed the front desk who sent someone up later that day, but we were told it couldn't be fixed during the remainder of our stay. We thought management would have at least offered to move us to another room, but they didn't. Also, I was trying to mail a package during our stay there. I asked about 3 different staff people for directions to the Post Office, and believe it or not, none of them were sure exactly where it was! They gave me 3 different locations/directions, and I never did find it. Finally, I asked another person at the front desk, who then told me that they could mail it out for me from the hotel. So I left the package, which contained highly important information and a check, with the front desk representative. 2 months later, the package still HAS NOT been delivered to the recipient! Quite appalling. I called the hotel and they could not locate the package. I was told that mail wasn't the most reliable in the New Orleans area (be aware). Needless to say, I had to put a "stop-payment" on the check, but the hotel didn't offer to compensate me on anything. I highly doubt we would ever stay in this hotel again, nor would we recommend it to any of our friends or family.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2004

There is a reason why the Astor displays a room replica in the window--the centerpiece being the HEAVENLY bed. Sterile white sheets and a fluffy comforter encased in a freshly cleaned white linen duvet grace the top of what can only be described as the most comfortable bed in the world! While muted music and mild revelry can be heard late at night, the sumptuous softness soothes the senses and provides the catalyst for a superb night's sleep. The Astor's staff is friendly and accomodating. There is a (very small) rooftop pool and spa for taking a break from the afternoon heat. The only thing about this hotel that prevents me from rating it "Excellent" is its parking setup. It appears from check-in that you are being provided a traditional valet parking service; however, upon check-out you will discover that you will need to load all of your luggage onto a shuttle bus and ride to a parking lot situated several blocks away in Fauberg Treme. To those who pack lightly, this may be of little inconvenience, but to others, like myself, who are traveling with children and must expect the unexpected, it can be quite a hassle loading and unloading. With this in mind, you can organize your luggage in an efficient manner to prevent hazards in the after-check-out transition.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2004

I was a little apprehensive about making a reservation at a hotel that I didn't get a recommendation. All my fears quickly went away when we walked through the front door. Excellent location, excellant staff.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2004

We had a large group visit the French Quarter for Easter and all stayed at the Astor. The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. Housekeeping was immaculate and friendly (although some of our rooms weren't made until dinnertime.) The hotel is in a great location - within walking distance of everything: bars, restaurants, shops and more bars. A side note: we found a great little bar/restaurant across from Margaritaville called Coops - great food at very reasonable prices and the atmosphere is fun, comfortable. Great experience all around!!!! I highly recommend the Astor - I would stay there again and again...

• Stayed April 2004

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!