“Got more than expected!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #99 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Helena, Alabama
“Got more than expected!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

I was very concerned after reading the reviews and almost changed my reservation. Fortunately I did not because our stay was great. The check-in assistance from Kim was excellent. She was friendly and very professional. The room was not on the Bourbon side,so it was quiet. The rooms are outdated but the room was clean. The mattress was firm but comfortable. There were earlier reviews complaining about the air conditioner and room keys not working, but we did not experience that. We did not eat on site but did spend time at the bar. The staff there were friendly and very helpful in the bar area. The location is EXCELLENT! Directly on Bourbon but at the very beginning of Bourbon. The only complaint is that while sitting in the lobby on 2 occasions we saw a mouse. The staff are very comfortable with seeing mice, because they were not alarmed. I on the other hand was very concerned. I would ask that management take a look at this.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

This hotel is very elegant. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are very spacious and clean. It is located in the middle of the action in the French Quarter. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Great location right on Bourbon and Canal streets. Staff were friendly especially the bell boy very helpful. Room was very clean and very comfortable . It was nice going up to the balcony so you can get a great view of the streets. Not sure if some of the rooms had balcony ours didn't had one
There is also a swimming pool enough for two people to go for a dip. It was nice to just lounge by the pool if you can find a chair, quite peaceful and relaxing especially after a night on bourbon st., awesome nice to meet people from all over having fun. I would definitely go back to this hotel, I was very happy.

Room Tip: I was on the 6th floor couldn't see out there was a very small window which you had to get up,o...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Gulf Shores, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

We have stayed in this hotel several times. However, it has been over a year since our last visit...and something is different. The sheets felt like cardboard. The bed was uncomfortable. The inside staff wasn't as friendly as normal. But, it is still a great location.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Alicia S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Greetings Thejanipa,

We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments about your stay. You are correct, we have had some hotel management changes recently and some changes have been made. I am sorry that the bed was uncomfortable and that you felt your staff interactions were not friendly. This most certainly is not how we want our guests to feel while they are here and our staff works very hard to ensure the guests are made to feel comfortable. We are happy you enjoyed our location, but again I am very sorry that you didn’t enjoy your overall stay with us. we hope that this visit will not deter from you coming to visit us again.

nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

We got a very good deal for two nights. Rooms are your average upscale hotel room. We had a long line for check-in. When leaving for the evening our door wouldnt lock. Maintenance took care of it immediately. Parking is a little steep! Valet only. The pool is very small and doesn't look anything like picture on website. One day housekeeping never cleaned our room because we were resting when they came. We asked them to come back in an hour but they never returned. Nice hotel in good location near Bourbon St.

• Stayed August 2014
Houston, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

Choose the Astor because my dad said it was a good place to stay & he was spot on! Right at Bourbon & Canal surrounded mainly by restaurants so you don't have alot of crowds. Hotel restaurant is a bit pricey but they have 24hr room service. Lobby is very busy but the staff keeps things moving. To me the staff was friendly and laid-back, not the peppy in your face types which suits me just fine. Reception & concierge were both very helpful. Check in/out was a breeze, we waited less than 5 minutes for both and the valet was very quick and helpful. Had a 3rd floor room in the older building. Age did show a bit, particularly on the wall paper, the furniture and carpet but we paid less than $99 for our room so we happily overlooked it. Room was spacious and clean. For me the beds were very comfortable. Room phones didn't work but that was fixed on the first day.Our friends did have to switch their room because they had the a/c unit that was motion sensored and didn't keep the room cool enough( our a/c stayed at a cool 68 degrees). The bathroom was clean but there was no exaust fan which might explain the small spot of mold in the corner. This issue brings me to my only complaint. The hotel doesn't have enough housekeeping staff or maybe not enough rounds. We had enough towels but we never got our coffee replenished, that might have been a good thing because our coffee maker leaked. We felt very safe at the Astor and certainly will and plan on staying again, especially if it's for under $99 a night.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Midsu,

Thank you for posting your comments about your stay with us. I am sorry that the phone did not work in your room upon check-in and you felt the furnishings and carpet were a bit dated. The new hotel management is making changes throughout the hotel and we are very excited to see what is to come. I am sorry that you had some mold on the shower wall. I have passed your comments on to the Housekeeping Manager so it can be addressed immediately. I am glad that you had a quick and smooth check-in and the Front Desk and Concierge staff were helpful to you. We think our location is great too and we are happy that our team took good care of you during your stay.

San Luis Obispo, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

I should have left when I arrived. I spent over an hour in the lobby trying to figure out what went wrong with our reservations. I originally booked 4 rooms but for some reason it showed I had 8 rooms. The lady checking us in was nice and she eventually figured it out that there was an error with the person who did the booking. The night manager was rude and unhelpful and if it wasn’t for the lady checking us in I think he would have tried to charge me for 8 rooms. The rooms were adequate however our AC was not working, I called the front desk to ask someone to take a look at it. I don’t know if anyone ever came or not but the AC did not work during our entire stay. Not cool in the heat of June. When we checked out I was fearful that my card was going to be over charged. Patricia Isidore Director of Front Office Operations checked us out. She was very nice and professional and gave me her card to contact if I had any trouble with credit card charges. When I arrived home and looked at my statement the hotel mistakenly credited me for the incorrectly booked rooms, when they found this error they then charged my account again for the credits plus an extra ~$1100. I contacted Patricia via phone and email she was helpful and pleasant initially. She looked into my request and Llawson sent me a copy of my charges and they claimed to have no record of the overcharge. I spoke with Patricia again on the phone and figured sending a screen shot of my credit card charge would help them locate the charge. After that email (and one follow up email and a phone message) Patricia never responded. Patricia seemed helpful so my guess is someone above her has dropped the ball. It has been over 2 months so now I am waiting on the credit card company to work it out. But what a pain too. I will never stay there again and you shouldn’t either.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Hello Amanda_L131,

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that your experience during your stay was not pleasant and you had an AC issue in your room. I regret that there was confusion with your reservation and I am glad they we were able to correct it. I can’t express how disappointed I am to know that the issue you thought was corrected, was not resolved correctly. I have shared your concerns with Patricia at the Front Desk and Lynette in Accounting to ensure that we are helping you to get this issue resolved promptly. Again please accept our sincerest apology for the unsatisfactory experience you had during your time with us. Please understand that what occurred is not the level of service expected of our employees.

We hope that you will consider coming to stay with us again in the future to give us an opportunity to serve you better.

Alicia Smith

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!