“Avoid hotel at all cost” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #104 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Avoid hotel at all cost”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

I'm still at the hotel....I don't even need to wait for checkout to change my mind....probably would only get worse.

First....waited over 45 minutes in line to check into the hotel. Never have I waited more than 5 or so minutes at any other hotel.

Second.....the room we had was on the second floor. The elevators let you off and you still had to carry your luggage up steps to the room......unacceptable unless you going to have a bellhop to take your luggage for free.

Third.....the room was hot.....uncomfortable and miserable the entire stay. Thermostat would only go down to 65....but the actual temperature only ever showed as low as 67. This had to be inaccurate. I'm cold natured and always have my house and hotel room set above 70, and still get cold. It was so hot and stuffy, I could breathe.

Fourth....there was NO ventilation in the bathroom. It too forever for the shower to get hot and the water never stayed hot. Bathroom was extremely small and cold only find tissue and no toliet paper. Only one bottle of shampoo and conditioner for 4 people and front desk couldn't find anyone.
Fifth.....there was a window.....but you had to stand on something to see out if it. And when you did look out, all you saw was 4 brick walls. Absolutely disgusting.....why not just give me a padded room with no Windows.

Sixth.....probably should have wiring and electrical outlets checked. Everything that was plugged into outlets.....and only one device or hair appliance per outlet.......it caused the charger/plug to become extremely hot. Had to charge my phone and worried all night it would catch on fire. Would love to see their fire inspection.

Seventh.....the bed is horrible.....can feel the springs. There is a sheet and some sort of cheap, thin "blanket". The blanket felt funny.

Eighth....the hotel just has a smell to it....everywhere you go.

I actually probably could come up with many more issues but these are the main ones 9 hours into this stay. Thankfully we will be leaving in the morning. If you're smart.....stay away from this disaster! IHG should come in and evaluate and mage the hotel improve or drop this hotel from its chain.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Alicia S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear Sammy865,

Thank you for taking a moment to post your comments. I apologize that our hotel did not meet your standards and you did not have a great experience. I am sorry that your room was not cool enough, the water did not get hot quickly for you and you did not have enough shampoo in your room. The hotel’s practice is the Housekeeping staff would replenish your amenities during your stay or if you simply call the operator they can put you through to Housekeeping so they can bring you any extra required amenities. I am sorry that you had to go up a small flight of stairs to get to your room and you did not have a view from your room. Some of our rooms have the skylight windows on the Alexa side of the hotel and they are pretty high due to the vaulted ceilings in the rooms. Also, we do have a great balcony located above Bourbon Street where guests can stand and look down upon the French Quarter to people watch. This is one of the perks of being in our location. Again, I would like to apologize for your experience during your stay and I hope that you will consider coming to stay with us again in the future so we can show you that we can deliver on a 4 star hotel experience.

Alicia Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
Clovis, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

This was the 5th time we have stayed at this property and it will be our last time! It took 3 trips and 2 days to get our phone fixed in our room. Our reservations were wrong again and we didn't get the adjoining rooms we had reserved. The front desk staff was way less than helpful and didn't really care about the 2 trips during our stay to get the room keys redone or that on every trip we reminded them about our phone issues.

Room Tip: Stay away from the 3rd floor that is where the pool is.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mrvacation13,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post your comments. I am very sorry that our property did not meet your expectations and you did not receive adjoining rooms upon check-in.. We always try to accommodate a guest’s request for bed type, certain floors, or rooms with a view, however this is not always possible when you arrive- we are unable to guarantee them unfortunately. These things are all based up availability when you arrive but I can assure you that we always do our best to accommodate requests. I apologize that the door keys and house phone did not work in your room and you felt the staff was not helpful when you came to the desk for assistance. We truly appreciate you staying with us and I want to apologize again that you did not receive the excellent customer service you deserve. I hope that you will come to see us again whenever you are in New Orleans so we are able to provide you with a much better experience.

Dulles, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Upon entrance to this beautiful hotel the staff greeted us and made us feel welcome. The hotel is decorated lovely. Several guests were relaxing on the couches in the seating area. You could tell everyone felt at home. My adult daughter was wished "Happy Birthday" upon check in. It was nice they remembered this when we made our reservation. The room was larger than normal. It was very clean and overlooked Bourbon Street. We loved the idea of having the sitting area farther away from the bedroom area. The big closet space and bathroom in between the two rooms was a great feature. We enjoyed ourselves with other guests outside in the pool area. The location is perfect! We enjoyed the night life on Bourbon Street but felt very safe not having to walk any distance at night. I would suggest this hotel to anyone wanting to enjoy New Orleans. We definitely will return to the Astor Crowne Plaza.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for a week. The location is excellent as it is on the corner of Bourbon Street. I was in the “historic” section of the hotel (perhaps this translates to “not renovated”) and there were actual chunks out of the wall and the room was poorly maintained. The carpet was filthy and housekeeping did not clean the room on two of the days I was there until after 5pm, even though I mentioned it to the front desk several times. On the positive side, the mattress was comfortable and seemed new. One of the worst parts of the experience though was the fact that my room smelled strongly of sewage. I had to wash or dry clean all of the clothes in my suitcase after my return as the sewage smell had been absorbed by everything in the suitcase. I would rather walk a block or two than stay at this hotel again—there are many better options close by.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Alicia S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Greetings DiscerningTraveler99,

We appreciate your comments and thank you for staying with us. I am sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectations and there was a horrible smell in your room. We would have gladly moved you to another room in order to investigate the odor and attempt to make your stay more comfortable. It seems you were staying in the Alexa wing, our historic side of the hotel. The exposed bricks and wrought iron work is to commemorate the old New Orleans style houses. I apologize that the room was not cleaned until later on in the day, but our Housekeeping staff works very hard to get the rooms cleaned as quickly as humanly possible and this depends on the time that prior guests check out. We hope that you will decide to visit us again whenever you are in the city so we can show you how a bit of our southern charm, we would love to have you back!

Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We have stayed at this property three or four different times over the past six years and keep coming back; it definitely has the best location for us and has been a sanctuary during our travels to the Crescent City. Unlike our past stays, this trip uncovered some serious declines in service (physical property and staff).

First, the room's toilet would not flush and it could not be easily repaired and they had no staff available at 5:00 PM to repair; so, although we were completely unpacked and “moved in” for the week, we had to repack and relocate. Several other guests as well as us experienced “room-key” difficulties; now we travel around 45 - 55 nights per year and stay in lots of hotels that have key-card access so we pretty much know the rules (keep cards away from magnets and cell phones), and yet we went through six different days of having either the service staff let us in or going down to the lobby in our swimwear to get cards reprogramed and the only thing the desk staff could say was: “you must be doing something to them”, (us and the other dozen couples that we spoke with on the topic).
Apparently the hotel has new owners (the staff mentioned this on several occasions, daily); although no details were shared, several of the hotels most senior staff members are now gone including one of the city’s most beloved doormen (who left two weeks after the new owners took over). The hotel’s room service menu selections has been dramatically reduced; we always have loved the “late-night pizza”, which has now been removed, and when we asked if they couldn’t just prepare one for us (since it is on the lunch and dinner menu) the staff told us they would be fired if they made a pizza. As a matter of fact, several staff members, when asked for certain things beyond their control (which was formally within their control) did not simply reply that they would ask their supervisor, they made a point to tell us they would be fired if they honored our request. This was a serious concern to us, a staff that is in so much fear of losing their jobs that they would openly express these feelings to the guests, this cannot be a hostile free work place.

The good was still good; good location, Bourbon Bar still serves the city’s best cocktails and between the Red Fish Grille, the new Hard Rock across Bourbon, and the Acme Oyster House and Brennan’s Steak House around the corner, you don’t have to walk more than a few steps for some of the city’s finest foods. Bell staff did an excellent job as well as housekeeping. Desk could use some help and training.
Physically the facility is still in good condition but you can start to see the decline. Internet access is available but very (very) poor. Fourth floor is still the executive floor and now has refrigerators in the rooms but it is our understanding, that except during conventions when guests have paid extra for the executive hospitality suite, the Crowne Plaza in New Orleans will no longer offer hospitality suite amenities.

Best wishes to all those that made our stay enjoyable and hopefully the management team will reach out to you and listen.

Room Tip: Request Canal Street side for quieter nights.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear FinWatcher,

Thank you for your comments about your stay with us. I am sorry that you felt that our properties standards are declining and we did not meet your expectations. I apologize that you had some toilet issues and room key problems. The Engineering Dept. is currently performing door lock repairs to ensure that our guests do not continue have the same issues. Again, I would like to apologize that you were unable to order the food items you were accustomed to in Room Service, but the new management team made some decisions that were based on feedback from our customers. I hope that our return guests can understand the position we are in and realize that changes occur sometimes, but it is always in the best interest of our guests. Yes, you are correct that we no longer offer the Executive Club level, however we do have a wonderful bar in the lobby adjoining the world famous Dickie Brennan’s, which you are familiar with and a fantastic Room Service team to serve you. I hope that this will not remain as your last impression of the hotel and you choose to return to the hotel again in the future.

Best wishes,
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We arrived early and there was no rooms yet available, however the staff at the hotel led us to the pool area to wait , and offered us some beverages they were super nice and greeted us . Once a room opened up, the staff called us in and brought us to the room, they helped us settle in and were extra helpful. The rooms were nice, clean although I do believe they could have used some dusting (it was a bit dusty but maybe that’s a new Orleans thing) .. the location of the hotel is perfect, its right by bourbon street but not immediately in the area where the noise would not let you sleep, perfect location. Overall I would give the place 4 stars as the rooms are nice, the staff is nice and the pool area was nice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We booked this on Hotwire, thinking that it would be really special since it had so many stars. Not so. The staff were fine but nothing spectacular. Lobby was nice. The room was nice but we were on the road and needed a fridge in the room. Nada. You'd think that they might want to load it up with expensive stuff to try and sell us, but hakuna fridge. The icemaker on our floor was broken, as was the icemaker on the floor below. Third time was the charm - the one on the floor above worked! And this is a 4 star??? The bed was very good and the room very quiet. We requested a room away from Bourbon Street. Our experience that evening on Bourbon street was horrible when a drunk young woman grabbed by wife's chest so some idiot could film it on his stupid iphone. Welcome to New Orleans... Location is very good. Preservation Hall is only a 15-minute walk. Totally awesome jazz experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Alicia S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I apologize that our hotel did not meet your expectations and you did not have a refrigerator in your room and the ice machine was not working on your floor. We do offer these items upon request when you check-in. It is based on availability at check-in and there is a $25.00 one-time delivery fee. I am sorry that you had such a scary experience. Believe it or not, these types of incidences do not happen daily. It is unfortunate that people tend to over-indulge when they visit N.O. and forget to be responsible adults. We can’t control what happens outside the hotel, however our Security Staff works very hard to maintain a safe environment inside the hotel for all our guests. I am extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed the jazz session at Preservation Hall. We hope that you will not let your recent experience be a negative impression of our great city and you decide to return to our hotel on your next visit. We have wonderful festivals during the summer where you can hear a gambit of music.

Alicia Smith

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!