“Decent Stay - Not in the Room Often Anyway” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #111 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Ridge, New York
“Decent Stay - Not in the Room Often Anyway”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

The hotel is in an AMAZING location - on Bourbon but not in the middle of the noise. Walking distance to everything plus the trolley. The hotel itself has a stunning lobby and friendly staff. When we checked in I was disappointed with the room - it wasn't what I expected when I saw pictures/after seeing the beauty of the lobby. It was old but clean enough, and so so in size. We got a double queen room but the front desk very quickly gave us a King when we said we were staying there as the last part of our honeymoon. The staff was very attentive to our needs and overall it was great for the price we paid.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
MSYDavidL, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
J L,
Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to write such a nice review of the hotel and its team, its often that we hear only the negative experience and appreciate the feedback, as I often tell my team, feedback is a gift to either improve on services or celebrate our success. I am delighted that the desk agent was able to change your room as well as the staff allowing you to travel for success.

We do realize you have you have choices when traveling and am delighted you stayed with the Astor Crowne Plaza, Thank you again,
David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Winchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

Stayed in the US many times on business and that had set my expectations. This hotel failed to meet them, mainly on service and cleanliness. Overall the staff seem to consider that any request that is outside of a narrow routine as a total inconvenience. This was true in reception, the bar and the restaurant. Meanwhile the room did not appear to have had a thorough clean: there was an old coke bottle behind the curtains and the carpet did not get vacuumed. I know because I found someone else's ear ring backs when I dropped my own.

NPS4ever,
First of all, thank you for you feedback, you are correct, we did fail you during your travels and are working hard on correcting those mentioned concerns. Although the restaurant does not belong to the hotel, I will pass your experience to their management team as they strive for excellence in service such as we. If your travels do bring you back to New Orleans, please allow us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

To be fair, this was not a disastrous stay, "unimpressive" is more accurate. There were two items that stood out from our stay. First, in the bath tub/shower--the tile grout had dark mold/mildew from a combination of age, climate and cleaning neglect. Second, we had an early departure and wanted a pot of coffee. According to the room service menus, they were open 24 hours. We had to call the front desk 4 times to actually reach a live person in room service and then were told it would be 30-45 minutes for coffee. The location was convenient on the corner of Bourbon and Canal; however, it also means you have a wide variation of people as you step outside the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
ADM_TX,
Thank you for your honest feedback in regards to your recent stay at the Astor Crowne Plaza, as "unimpressive" is not the adjective we like to hear, as we strive hard to "impress" all our guests as well as assist in exceeding expectations; looks like we failed you in this aspect of your travels.
I will meet with both managers involved and develop some action plans to insure these items are corrected,
Thank you again for staying at the Astor Crowne Plaza and hope you allow us to exceed your expectations if your travels bring you back to New Orleans,
Gloucester Point, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

This hotel got a four diamond rating from AAA and that is why we chose it. It is under new ownership and the hotel is in need of an update. Phones in our room didn't work, ice machine on our floor didn't work, drink machine on our floor didn't work. We did go to the front desk and report these problems and got no response. I would not recommend this hotel. I will not stay there again. Concierge was wonderful and friendly and she was the highlight of this establishment. And if you are looking for healthy foods this is also the wrong City to visit..

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Abigail790,
You are correct, the hotel is under new management, but these concerns are unacceptable and for this I apologize, these are all every hotels normal ways of doing business and we failed. Please allow us another opportunity to exceed your expectations if your travels bring you back to New Orleans.
Thank you so much for your honest and detailed feedback, as we are and will address these concerns immediately.

Litchfield, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

This years convention was in New Orleans . We had a Ford Meeting set up at the Astor Crown Plaza before the convention started. Great location on Canal St. The place was great for this type of meeting. We enjoyed the first night cocktail party thru out the indoor out door activities . Meetings went smoothly the next day handling everyone's needs.

Chris H,
So pleased you enjoyed the events' as well as the Astor Crowne Plaza, as we thoroughly enjoyed servicing your group. We strive hard to insure all our guests "travel for success" and am delighted we had been able to assist with just that.
Thank you taking time out of your schedule to write such a great review and look forward to seeing you again if your travels bring you back to "Crescent City"....

Rosenberg, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Two great things about the hotel The Location and the staff that work the executive lounge. Coke machines are being changed out for Pepsi and not one floor had drinks in the machine and notes were not posted. after being told we could call down for the car and it would be faster just to call and be told to many waiting so we had to come down and get in line.......30 long minutes before car arrived and it was cold and raining.. maybe by my July visit they will get it right

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Angelairene22,
Thank you for your recent stay, as I know there are many choices while traveling, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and apologize for the soda machine switch out not going as smoothly as we anticipated. Thank you honest feedback regarding "parking", as we are diligently working with the parking company to understand the needs of our guests, this has been much better, but as you mentioned, we still have some work to do.
Pleased to hear you will be staying with us in July and would very much like to meet you and get more feedback, as I often tell my team that feedback is a gift for us to either improve on assisting our guests or celebrating our success.
Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I wish I could give this less than 1 star. Let me say first that I travel for a living. I've seen a little bit of everything. But this by far takes the cake. I stayed a few weeks ago for a dealer conference and I got there early in the morning so I just expected to leave my information at the front desk to be called later when a room became available. When I arrived there was another conference checking out and there were over 30 people waiting to check out. So it was mayhem. So I just waited about an hour to attempt to get to the front desk just to check in and leave my information, but when I got to the front, I was told that check in time wasn't until 4PM and that they don't take information and that I just needed to come back at 4PM. The front desk manager was attempting to keep order by also, shouting, "No one will be allowed to check in until 4PM", and "Please come back then". I begged the unsympathetic front desk woman to just take my name and number. She reluctantly did, only for me to find that someone else had asked the same thing and had written their name on the same piece of torn paper. So, nothing to do now other than checking my bags for later retrieval when a room becomes available. Which I did. And off to grab something to eat in the hotel restaurant. There were about 15 people in the whole restaurant, but yet I waited and waited to be seated. I then walked through the restaurant to see if someone could assist me and caught a gentleman coming out of the kitchen in a suite. I asked if I could just seat myself and was abruptly told, "No" and that the manager that was helping to assist a waiter serving food to a large table of people, would have to seat me. So I waited and waited as she attended to them until I finally got fed up and just walked up the street to I-HOP. I then came back to the lobby to wait and then about 30 minutes later I received a call alerting me that my room was ready. We had an issue at that point of my leaving my personal credit card instead of using the card on the Credit Card Authorization form that my company had filled out. Reluctantly I gave it. I was given my keys and I went to retrieve my bag, only to find that they couldn't find it in a room of about 300 bags. I was told that I could just look for it myself. I asked "why the need for the little tags", and the answer was, "well, there are a lot of bags" and that if I wanted my bag, I needed to look for it myself. It took me 25 minutes to find it. By now, I'm starting to get a little irked. I then waited and waited for the elevator to get to my room and when I saw it, I said, "Oh He$% No"!. There were red stains on the wrinkly sheets, stains and burns on the carpet, the window was filthy with some kind of greasy haze, everything was worn to heck, dusty grease on the fixtures in the bathroom, rubbed and worn furniture and so on. This was for $340 a night, the show special. lol. I called a few times and finally got through to someone at the front desk and they said that all of the rooms were like that. I called again and asked for a manager. After 3 or 4 times of calling and getting disconnected, (hung up on), I got through to the assistant manager. He came up and looked at the room and I explained to him the issues and they tried to clean up a room on the other side of the hallway for me while i waited. I then dragged my luggage to that room and it was just a step above the last one. As I pointed out the filth and worn and torn, the manager had me wait in the room until the General Manager was alerted. He came up in about 15 minutes and seemed like the only person with a sense of urgency and concern. While he searched for another room for me, the head housekeeper, I believe, informed me that they've just taken the hotel over a couple of months ago, and that they're having a few issues that they're trying to work out. the General Manger later confirmed this. This should NOT have the name Crown Plaza! He ended up moving me himself to a larger suite, albeit nicer, still a 4 out of 10 ratings. Old and worn and he did admit that they hadn't renovated in over 12 or 15 years and that every day they're "turning over rocks and finding issues" that need to be taken care of. This is when I tried to finally settle in. Only to find that the heat didn't work. I then had to call a few more times to get someone's attention to have someone come and try to fix it. This was the first thing that happened quickly. They came within 10 minutes and got it working. In the middle of the night, I got cold, and called them back. This is when I found that the heat was on a motion sensor. So unless I got up to go to the bathroom, I had no heat for the night. Four days later, I'm ready to go and couldn't get out of there soon enough. Fast forward (3) weeks only to check my credit card statement to find that they've charged $452 to my personal credit card. I'm still dealing with this today. If you value your money, comfort and time, do NOT stay here. Good luck in your travels, but of course, I will never stay here again and I would not recommend this hotel to any human being!!!

Room Tip: Pick any other hotel!