“Noisy - but not from the partying” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #98 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Vancouver, BC
“Noisy - but not from the partying”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Yes I know I'm staying in a downtown hotel, but for the cost I expected better. Rooms are plain, but clean, and in need of redecorating. Not well equipped and it annoys me having to pay for wireless internet. Many expensive hotels charge for it and in todays world it should be included.My issue was not the noise from Bourbon Street, I didn't hear any, but unusual mechanical and electrical noise. I guess my first clue should have been the earplugs provided. That's a first for me at any hotel, including airport ones. There is normal airconditioner/mechanical noise and that was not a problem. The first room I kept on being woken by a funny whooshing noise that was unpredictable and very annoying. They changed rooms the next day and the second room was worse. I could not change room temperature and there was a piercing electrical buzzing noise from a speaker near the door. I complained the next day and heard nothing back. I complained again and they adjusted the temperature but I still could not control it. Nothing was done about the noise so I slept with ear plugs and a pillow over my head! On a side note I was encouraged to write a review when I arrived, I don't think this was quite what they wanted though.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your valued comments. We wish to apologize for the noise that you experienced in your guest room. While we do provide ear plugs, however it is a standard within Crowne Plazas and is a part of the brand's sleep amenities. I was truly disappointed to read about the lack of follow up regarding your issues. Please know this is not indicative of our hotel. Our goal is to address any guest issue immediately because we want no guest to leave unsatisfied. Obviously this was not the case for you and again I wish to apologize. We hope you will give us another opportunity should your travels bring you back to New Orleans. I am confident that if given another opportunity, your next visit will be quite different.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
Overland Park, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

The front desk made a mistake that left me sitting in their lobby for 2 hours waiting for my room.....all I wanted after a long day setting up for a trade show was a shower and a bed. As I was on my way out the door, headed to a Marriot, a nice lady at the front desk could tell something was wrong, so she looked and figured it out....their mistake, so I stayed, despite the poor service and attention by the other staffers. Food and bar prices are outrageous, and they run you out of the bar at 10 sharp even though it was packed. I've never really had a great experience at Crowne Plaza and this is no exception......

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
I was disappointed to read your review regarding your experience here at the Astor. Our goal is to provide the best in Southern Hospitality and we obviously missed the boat with your visit. Rest assured, I will share your comments regarding the restaurant and bar pricing with our vendor, the Bourbon House. Please accept our apology for not meeting your expectations. Our hotel is a proud performer of the Crowne Plaza Brand, but is sounds like another missed opportunity for the brand regarding your experiences. Thank you for your valued comments, for all will be shared with our team.
Baytown, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

You will not be disappointed with this hotel. Dana at the check in registar counter will see that your request are met promptly. Michelle, (one of the Concierges) is great with suggestions for tours, transportation, restaurant reservations and suggestions for local attractions & restaurants. The City VIP Tour, approximately $45 is well worth the money.

The Crown Plaza is at the corner of Bourbon & Canal, which is a great location because it is where all the action starts each night on Bourbon. Only about a 5 minute walk to Harrah's Casino, if gambling is of interest, plus the Trolley has a stop for the Casino. Other Trolley car stops include the French Market, The Cathedral, World War II museum, etc. The WW II Museum has a great IMAX Movie which last approximately 1 hour. If you do not have time for the Museum, I recommend at least seeing them movie.

This was my 4th trip to New Orleans in the past 5 years and each visit, I stayed at the Crown Plaza Astor.

The parking is valet only at a cost of $25/day +tax. Your car will be parked about 3 blocks away, so allow plenty of time when picking your car up. You really do not a car in New Orleans, because their transportation system is well thought out. The Trolley has a stop in front of the hotel and is only $3 per day for unlimited use. I strongly recomment it as a means of transportation.

Here is a little more Hotel Info:
Their restrauant "The Bourbon House" is a little pricey, but excelent food. Even when crowded, the elevators are much better than other places I have stayed on Bourbon Street. I hate waiting on slow elevators, especially when the hotel is full to capacity, which this one usually is.

There are no refrigerators or microwaves in the rooms. If that is important to you, they will bring you a very small refrigerator for $25 for your entire stay, no daily charge for it. I did not ask about a microwave. The noise from Bourbon Street was not a problem

The restrauant "Crecent City" has very good food and reasonably priced. There is a McDonalds 2 doors from the Crown Plaza which was nice because I love their coffee. It was also easy to stop in there on the way back to the room for a $1 coke or ice cream on the way back to the room to rest the feet awhile before an evening on Bourbon Street.

I will continue staying here every time I go to Bourbon Street because of the friendly hotel personnel, great location and ease of transportation.

Room Tip: 4th Floor with Bourbon Street view was ok, but not high enough to really see much. I would suggest...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the wonderful review. First, I wish to thank you for the fairness of your review. We have guests that hold us up to their expectations instead of researching to find if the hotel offers the service or amenity they are expecting. Secondly I wish to thank you for your valued patronage and loyalty to the Astor. We love our repeat guests and could not survive without guest such as you. Thank you once again for the great review and please know our home is your home the next time your travels bring you to the "Big Easy"!
Chesapeake
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Ok first of all expect to have excellent service provided by folks really trying to do their job so as long as your request are not unreasonable you should enjoy this hotel. Plan to stay here if you like to party but if you want to sleep be prepared for loud people on the streets I mean serious bass pumping out of cars so loud your ear plugs given at check in won't help. Then the trash truck comes in at about 4 to 5 and crashing bottles of the late night party slam into the truck. That is not the hotel employee's fault. The next day you are right in the middle of everything you want see and do but prepare to pay for those tours. No wait I said you are right in the middle of everything. We walked everywhere and got to see everything we wanted to see by foot. The trolly is 3 bucks so if you don't want to walk you are right there. Three days in the FQ and Bourbon ST can get old unless you head out on foot in the day time and walk to the super-dome the cemetery and all the good places to eat. Remember that the room service late night is good at the hotel and pretty well priced but they add gratuity to the bill. The pool was closed once but it has a great view of Bourbon St. The room itself was clean and the staff were good to us. The front door needed a screw and the plate kept getting stuck. I called to get it fixed waited for about an hour and then took a screw from light switch and fixed it myself. Checked it two days later and they had come and replaced the screw. Sounds trivial but if I needed to get in late night from Bourbon Street creeping then I could get in safe. So If you can roll with the punches of a big city hotel then this is the place for you. Again staff were nice internet was none to almost sometime but they took a day or two off my bill because I had to call for tech service. So just be prepared folks at the hotel are trying to make it comfortable for your stay. Again we got to do everything but see ninth ward and we hit that with cab ride when we went to airport.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for such a detailed review of your recent visit to NOLA and the Astor. We really do try our best to provide the best in Southern Hospitality and I was pleased to read that your experience with our team epitoized this hospitality. Truly sorry about the street noises. Just so you know, we just went live with an all new internet service that will improve our bandwith 4 fold. So this will not be an issue on your next visit and we hope you will return. Thank you for your patronage, understanding and the nice review.
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We booked this hotel through Priceline for the same price as the Comfort Inn we were going to stay in on the outskirts of town. The room was fine, a little small and no refrigerator, but overall good. The service was great, and while the parking was a little high, it was worth it to us to be in the city and not have to drive in each day. We enjoyed the Bourbon House for dinner, and the location can't be beat. The hotel has a convenient door on Bourbon Street across from the Redfish Grill, which was nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on the Astor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our hotel and location. We hope to see you back at the Astor the next time your travels bring you to New Orleans.
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I hope this helps the consumer from making a huge mistake. My husband and I stayed at the Astor-New Orleans in October 2012 and it was wonderful, So when it was time for yearly visit the Astor was our first choice. Upon arrival July 18 2013 we were instantly disappointed as soon as we walked in the HOT, UNPLEASANT SMELLING ROOM. I called the front desk and was told that someone would come up and check the room A/C and smell. My husband and I went out only to return a couple of hours later to the same smell and NO AIR. The Front desk was called 3 times before someone came up to check the A/C and we were told that it was fixed only to find out thru out the night that the A/C would only come on when I got up and moved around the room (MOTION DETECTED). In the morning the A/C was taken apart and repaired. The Smell never went away. The next problem was the hair dyer didn't work, the desk was called and it took 5 calls before a hair dyer was delivered to the room. The final mistake was we requested a 4AM wake up for a 6AM flight and we never received the call. (Take Goodness for Cell Phone Alarms).Final word of advice is this, the room that we were in was dirty and not worth the money that we spent on it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Wow, not what we like to read and truly sorry for all the challenges that occurred for you. We value our repeat customers and to know that we have now lost you is most upsetting. I will send you an email off line here because I would like to speak with you further regarding you visit. On behalf of our entire team we wish to express our sincere apology for your experience.
Miami, Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I, a single friend and two other couples traveled to N.O. for the 4th of July weekend. This was the first time for all of us.

Their website pictures of the hotel are true to what you'll see. I found the staff very friendly and accomodating. When you exit from the side of the hotel, you're stepping onto Bourbon Street. However, the hotel is located towards the beginning of Bourbon Street and not in the smack middle. I find that this was the best of both worlds. We can step into the action but retrieve when we were done and not have the loud action disturb us. In the front of the hotel, across the street, there is a CVS in case you need to purchase those type of items. Without crossing the street, you have several places to grab a bite. We also walked to Harrah's and visited their casino.

The rooms were standard. We stayed in a double queen bed room. We don't normally stay in the room except for sleeping and showering and we're out and about. Therefore, the room served its purpose. I felt it was good and comfortable. The bed & the pillows were a little hard but ok overall. Truth is we were so tired from all the walking that we slept like babies. I didn't visit the pool nor the exercise room so I can't review that.

Overall, I was happy with my stay and would stay here again. I would also recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
How kind of you to take the time to share your New Orleans Experience with us. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit to the city as well as the Astor. True our location is one of the best in the city, we appreciate your comment in this regard. Thank you for your patronage as well as any future referrals. We hope to have you back as our guest in the near future.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!