“Essence Festival 2013” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #106 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Toledo, Ohio
“Essence Festival 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Omg!!!!! Let me tell you I had the best time in my life in New Orleans. It was an experience I will never forget!! The staff there were incredible & efficient....Housekeeping kept our room clean, front desk were very nice!! The Executive Lounge was awesome the staff were professional Ms. Green, JaMeesha, Tanisha were my favorite they made sure we were satisfied while in the lounge! It truly felt like I was home & I develop new family members! Thanks guys for all your hard work!! Love you see ya next year!!

ROSHONA (Rm. 543)
Toledo, Oh

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
OK, I was wrong, I thought the last review was great but OMG then came yours! Your review gave me goose bumps...THANK YOU! How kind of you to share your experience with us. A special thanks for mentioning some star performers on our staff. Because of your mention, each of them will receive an incentive from the hotel. We love you too and we look forward to your visit for Essence 2014...but hopefully sooner!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I had a business meeting in New Orleans and my husband decided to join me and make a mini vacation out of it. The hotel that the meeting was held at was sold out so I spent a LOT of time on line finding the right hotel -- nearby my meeting and with a pool for my husband. We arrived without any issues. After we checked in the desk clerk handed us a letter addressed to "valued guest" informing us that they were hosting a "very large social group" and they were basically taking over the hotel, including the pool area and fitness room. We were able to use the hotel a block away as they have a pool, etc. SERIOUSLY? They wouldn't tell me what the group was or why we couldn't share the pool with them. After I went into the ballroom where they were trying to recruit folks, I found out that the social group was a swingers club and they planned on being nude at the pool and fitness area. They are called Naughty in N'Awlins. They also went into specifics about the goings on in various rooms. Now I'm a liberal gal from the northeast, I'm not judging these folks, but I'm completely judging the Crowne Plaza. They didn't feel I was important as their guest to use the pool and workout room? Or letting us know in advance? We ended up leaving and going to another hotel after packing up our belongings. We were treated unbelievably rude by the manager, who truly couldn't have cared less about us. I would highly recommend never staying at this trashy hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for your review. We do value you and your comments regarding your visit. The NIN group is an annual convention of the Astor and every year we do our best to advise our non-convention guests regarding the pool area. We do note this on the brand web site but unfortunately the central reservation's office of over 300 agents don't always pick up on this alert in their system. Because we care, the hotel does set up alternative pool arrangements and we do realize the inconvenience this may cause our guest, however it is the only alternative in order to still provide this service for our the non-convention guests. Please accept our apology for any rudeness that you encountered with our manager and rest assured I will be looking into this further with our General Manager. We regret that we have lost you as a repeat customer. Thank you again for your comments.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

I booked two rooms for myself and a group of friends. You cannot beat this location right on bourbon and the Canal and Saint Charles street car lines. The guy who checked us in was nice and helpful. Our room was fine - what you would expect for a standard upscale hotel chain. We had a few other questions for various staff and they were all helpful and friendly enough. However, when we went to check out, they wanted to charge us $30 more per night than the rate we booked, plus a $20 fee per night for each extra person in the room (charging us for two more people than we actually had in our group). They asked to see the confirmation email to see the rate I booked under, which of course is NOT included in the confirmation email I received. Long story short, they reduced our rate to only slightly more than I had been expecting to pay, but to took about 45 minutes of arguing and typing and refunding that I could have spent nursing my hangover. So that left me pretty unimpressed with this place. Crown Plaza should be able to do better. I travel quite a bit and have NEVER not been unable to get the rate promised at booking.

I didn't check out the bar or restaurant, so I can't comment on that, but why would you when the Monteleone and Remoulade are so close? The pool closed a bit early, so I never made it there either.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
We appreciate your time in sharing your comments with us regarding your recent visit to the Astor. While I am not able to investigate your comments further without a name but please know I am willing to look into this further if you would contact me. Our rates, as in all Crowne Plazas are quoted for single or double occupancy and there is a fee of $20 per additional guests beyond double occupancy. If you booked through a third party site, there are times that the extra person charge is not communicated properly. I am truly sorry the check-out process put a negative feel to what sounds like in your review as a positive overall stay at the Astor. Please know we would never change a rate that is originally quoted unless there is a legitimate reason to do so and as stated earlier, I am willing to look into this further. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have the opportunity to be of service to you the next time your travels bring you to New Orleans.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

This was the 2nd time my friends and I stayed at this hotel during the Essence Music festival. Again, it did not disappoint. This time we decided to splurge on a suite. It was very spacious! Also, we like the fact the hotel is right by Bourbon Street. The hustle and bustle that seems to go on all night into the wee hours of the morning did not bother us. Not to mention, the ladies in the lounge were very nice and friendly. I would definitely recommend!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the nice review and for being a loyal customer of our hotel. We were honored to have you as our guest once again and we were pleased to read that we met your expectations on your second visit as well. We appreciate your business and wish to thank you for any future referrals you may offer on our behalf. Hope to see you next year but hopefully sooner!
SIMSBURY, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you are thinking of going to New Orleans you need to stay at this hotel. We stayed four nights during our ten day vacation starting in Michigan and ending in New Orleans. Each time we were greeted by a hotel team member it was as if we had just knocked on their own home front door as a long time friend. Our room was always clean, great view of Canal Street, and comfortable bed. Easy walking to areas of the city, to catch the trolley cars outside the front doors and walk to dinner. The best view from the balcony down Bourbon Street.
You are in the middle of everything! Our breakfast in the morning was very nice and our food fresh. Same with the cocktail hour. We were always greeted by a cheerful Miss Green in the morning. You would think you had just walked into our Grandma's house after being away. From Eric, a bellman, to Melissa at the front desk, Lynn in Conference Planning, Dwight in banquets, Rhonda who was helping to cover the breakfast area and the young lady in housekeeping who wished us a great day each day we just appreciated each and every one of them. There are so many people who took care of us with their smiles. Mr. Ambros, as the General Manager, guides the hotel with his gift. Everyone works together to keep the hotel beautiful and taking care of each guest. Don't be surprised if your run into Mr. Ambros in a hallway, the breakfast area or at the front door. If you are coming to NOLA look no further. This is the only place in town we will stay.

Mark and Kathy

Room Tip: We enjoyed looking out at Canal Street.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
WOW....THANK YOU for the fantastic review. We could not ask for anything more from a review than yours. How kind of you to mention individual staff members that made your stay special. Because of your mention of them by name in your review, they will each receive an incentive...except Mr Ambros(LOL). I was touched by your special review and wish to thank you making my day. We hope to see you back in NOLA real soon and please know...our home is your home and Grandma is waiting for you to come back real soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a hotel with a prime location, efficient and friendly staff, and ate willin to pay a little extra this is the hotel for you. The location could not be better as it is within walking distance of fabulous restaurants, historic sites, an other famous NOLA venues. The staff are very accommodating and go above and beyond to fulfill customer needs. Additionally, the hotel was extremely clean!

• Stayed July 2013
How nice of you! Thank you for the wonderful review! We agree our location is unsurpassed and delighted to read that it worked perfectly for your NOLA visit. We do strive for service excellence and wish to thank you for acknowledging our efforts. Hope to see you back at the Astor real soon.
Rogers, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Service personal very friendly and helpful. Valet parking is required unless you want to unload your luggage on the street and then go park you vehicle. Valets very helpful with unloading prior to taking your vehicle.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Short and sweet and to the point...thank you for the nice review and your time in the same regard. I was delighted to read that our staff met your expectations. Please come back and see us the next time New Orleans is on your travel agenda.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!