“Big on location, small on amenities” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #102 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Tennessee
“Big on location, small on amenities”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed at the Astor Crowne Plaza on a group trip for 3 nights. The French Quarter location at Canal and Bourbon is fantastic, and I don't remember any extra noise or anything. My room was on the 9th floor. On the whole, we had a good stay.

The room was a good size and pretty clean. The bathroom is a nice size, although a 2nd sink would've been nice. The beds are very high off the ground, and I'm only 5'2". I almost needed a stepstool to get up there! The beds also are very firm. Luckily I was pretty tired each night, so I slept well, but the beds are not what I would call comfortable. The hotel isn't huge, so it was easy to get around.

Now for the things that make what could be a pretty awesome hotel, just mediocre:

Check-in was a little confusing, because our rooms were being paid for as a group. The front desk staff was a little slow and confused in getting it all set up. The next day, our group leader went back down and straightened it all out, but I would think a French Quarter hotel in New Orleans would not be encountering this type of arrangement for the first time.

THERE IS NO COFFEE SHOP IN THE HOTEL. How a hotel in NOLA, in the quarter with a lot of drunk and hungover people can get by with no coffee shop or even a small kiosk, is astounding. Our group was made to traipse all over for coffee and breakfast that did not require a sit down meal. That is ridiculous. There isn't even a gift shop where you can get a candy bar. You have to walk across the street to CVS.

The gym is ok. There were no elliptical machines that worked both arms and legs. There were plenty of treadmills, but the only ellipticals worked only legs. That was disappointing. Also, I worked out in the middle of the afternoon and was the only one in there. While I was exercising, a hotel employee came in and had a loud personal conversation in Spanish on his cell phone for about 10-15 minutes. I think it's rude that a hotel employee would consider the gym to be his personal office. I get that he might not be allowed personal calls on work time and that sometimes you need to take a call regardless, but it's not good customer service to do it in view/earshot of guests. I think some employee training is in order on that one.

Some of the bellman were inept at calling cabs. On a rainy day, we almost were late for an appointment because the bellman couldn't figure out how to call a cab. On all the other days we were fine with that. Also, retrieving a car from the valet can take 30 minutes.

Otherwise, if you're looking for affordable and in the French Quarter, this is your hotel. Just be aware that it is not what I consider to be full service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you taking the time to share in detail your thoughts on our hotel. Truly sorry we did not met your expectations in some of our services. Rest assured your comments will be shared with our management team. Please know your comments are valued and will assist in our journey for service excellence. We hope when you return to New Orleans that you will once again stay with Team Astor.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Myrtle Beach, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

This is a pretty nice hotel. It tries to be a luxury hotel but the facilities are a bit worn. My big advice is to get the right room. My room overlooked Bourbon Street and that was a big mistake. The noise goes on all night long on Bourbon. I would ask for a room on the interior of the hotel, that would be much better. This hotel just needs a little facelift, especially the rooms. Hotel staff are very nice. Beds are comfy, rooms are spacious. Not bad for the right price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments regarding the Astor. I was a little disappointed regarding your comments that we were a bit worn. I truly believe our rooms are very well maintained, now our lobby furnishings are a bit tired, HOWEVER, we have new lobby furniture on the way and it should be in place by the end of May. Truly sorry to read that, Bourbon Street impacted your quality of sleep and apologize for this challenge. Next time, please let your hotel know about any challenges you may have...we always want to make things right to ensure your comfort and your intent to return. Again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you back at the Astor on your next trip to New Orleans.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I had booked the Hotel Monteleone, but was deferred to the Crowne Plaza due to a power outage. I thought the Crowne Plaza was very nice and was ultimately not disappointed by the change in my travel plans. The location is excellent, right on the corner of Canal & Bourbon Street. The noise from Bourbon Street may be an issue from some of the rooms, but we were on the Canal Street side and it did not bother us. The room was nice (we had a standard room with a king bed) very roomy and the bathroom was good size as well. The air conditioner worked great and my only complaint about the room was that the bed was a little more firm than I like. My husband and I spent two nights at the Crowne Plaza before moving to the Monteleone. If I hadn't already paid for the reservations at the Monteleone I wouldn't have changed hotels as the Crowne Plaza was very nice and convenient. Overall a good experience and the staff were very nice.

Room Tip: If concerned about the noise, try requesting a room away from Bourbon street.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow, now that is what we like to see in our reviews. Unfortunate for the Monteleone, but delighted they referred you to us. I was pleased to read that we were able to meet your expectations. Now you have two choices when New Orleans is on your agenda, of course I am a little biased, but would be honored for a return visit to the Astor. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and for your wonderful review.
Newtown, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The location is fantastic (Bourbon and Canal Streets), so you can access all of the fun parts of the city very easily. Unfortunately, the location is by far the best quality of this hotel.

1. The bathroom is very cramped and unimpressive looking.
2. The bed is awfully uncomfortable; it is almost like sleeping on a block. All of our friends agreed that this was the case as well.
3. The room was drab and outdated, in addition to being small.

If you are looking to spend 0 time in your room, and you don't care about comfort, this will work, especially if you want to be in the middle of everything. If you want some luxury, look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ouch...not what we like to see in a review. We are disappointed that the Astor did not meet your expectations. We do appreciate your comments and the time you took to review our hotel.
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This was a business trip but by coincidence the French Quarter Festival was going on. This location made it very accessible to reach the festival activities being that they were spaced all over the french quarter and riverside walkway. This was a beautiful entrance and the restaurant looked very enticing had we not already had plans. We arrived before check-in but were able to leave our bags with the valets inside the hotel, very convenient. It is a great location if you prefer to be in the midst of things and don't mind that its a bit lively. The entrance is on Canal street which is quite busy. They have valet service or self parking. I'd say go valet. They were nice and quite reliable for time. At night there is quite a bit of noise from traffic and the sounds of Bourbon street. Its not great if all you want to do is relax. Everyone was very friendly and always there for a good greeting. The room was a good size to move around although the bed was really high. As I am less than five feet tall, I felt I had to jump just to get into bed. The bathroom was a good size too and very clean. You just have to give the hot water a minute.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
We were pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you lucked on French Quarter Fest during your business trip. Truly a great festival and one of the few that are free to enjoy. Thank you for all of your special comments regarding our hotel. Yes, the beds are a bit high but truly comfortable. We hope you will return to the Astor the next time you are visiting New Orleans.
new York City, New York, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This hotel treated us like royalty, while balling out another hotel.
The best Room Service we have had at a hotel in years.
Good food and very prompt service.
Nice large rooms, comfortable beds, very centrally located, friendly staff.
We will definitely return to the Astor Crowne Plaze, New Orleans.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Great location on Canal and Bourbon. Nicely appointed lobby. Rooms are generic but nice, no complaints. Good service. Only thing to note is that it could get loud due to the proximity to Bourbon but it didn't bother us much. We would definitely stay here again, mostly for the location.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!