“Very Good Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #108 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
London, United Kingdom
“Very Good Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel for 3 nights,i found it clean and the staff friendly, it has a great location and the service was very good...
The rooms are spacious and clean and the food was so tasty.
I will definitely come back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Well thank you for your kind words! Delighted that we met your expectations and honored that you will be returning.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Rockport, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We have stayed here for our company appreciation wknd get-away for the past 6+ years. The hotel staff has always made us feel very welcome and have been easy to work with in planning for our group. They are accommodating and the location is perfect for having fun in the French Quarter, gambling, etc. Rooms are comfortable, service good...we will be planning our trip there next year.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
I love to read reviews from our loyal guests! Delighted to hear of your 6th return visit to the Astor...your business and your review are like gold to us! Certainly one of the highest compliments you can give a hotel is to be one of our loyal guests! Thank you for your continued confidence in our hotel and your moral support to our team. We hope to see you back for the 7th time, but hopefully sooner!
Bristol, Maine, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

5 nights gives me a pretty good perspective. the worst of it was getting on the elevator alone, feeling a series of bumps and coming to rest between floors. Pushed the emergency button and the operator said she would call for help and then HUNG UP!!! seriously, didn't even stay on the line. I called back ten minutes later and she told me she called for help and hung up again. after a half hour, they were able to pry the door open. There was more concern for the elevator than for me. The asst manager brought me some snacks - seriously - the manager never came to see me at all despite staying a few more days.

The internet is a nightmare that they have the nerve to charge for. The strength of the signal is often poor and many times it goes out all together. To even get hooked up, I had to be be on with tech support for about an hour the first time (there were multiiple times) and I am a seasoned traveller well-versed in getting connected in differenct environments. The second time only took about 20 minutes so I guess I was lucky. I had saved the case number, that probably helped.

Besides all that, when I checked in, I could not get the room temp below 74 degrees. I requested that to be fixed and then had a hard time staying over 66 degrees (it fell to 64 one night despite being set on 90 ) without running the shower. didn't bother to ask to get that fixed as I prefer the cold to the heat and didn't want to be bothered.

They are very slow to make up the rooms on certain days with my room not being serviced until after 5 pm one day.

The final insult was that I was not able to print out my boarding passes in the business center. I could see them all right and the printer declared itself ready, but could not get it done even trying multiple PCs.

So if you are coming to New Orleans, keep looking.

Room Tip: Maybe try a low floor in case of elevator problems.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Wow not what we like to read or hear. I am truly sorry for the issues and more importantly the elevator trauma. I am sure that was quite an ordeal and disappointed to hear of our lack of concern and the follow up regarding the same. I wish to apologize again and regret that we have probably lost you as a potential repeat guest. Thank you for your sharing you experience. Rest assured we will be discussing your stay in great detail to ensure our future guests will not have an experience such as yours.
metairie
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This hotel was the biggest mistake I made in my wedding planning process. From the moment I walked in, I was treated as though I was doing THEM the favor by paying to stay in their hotel. There was a mix-up with my reservation, so they kept me waiting, wedding dress in arm, for ten minutes at the front desk while they sorted it out. I ran into one of my guests for the wedding in the lobby while holding my own wedding dress in my arms (something you somewhat dont want many people to see before the big day) all because of the hotel's mixup. The coordinator I had worked with, Ann Broussard, spoke to me rudely and confrontationally and attempted to renig on a guarantee she had made for a discounted rate. When I provided documentation of the email where she had confirmed the discount, she begrudgenly relented and discounted the room.

Oh well I thought, at least I am checked in! Well, when I got to the suite, it was very spacious, and the noise level was low considering its proximity to Bourbon street. It wasn't until a closer inspection (i.e. closing the door adjoining the den and my bedroom) that I noticed the thick layer of dusk VISIBLY coating the carpet. I checked the bottom of my feet - sure enough, they were already turning black from less than an hour of walking on carpet in my OWN HOTEL ROOM. We had to lay towels under my dress to keep it clean.

Finally, I have been wrapped up in a charges dispute with the hotel since departing. They charged my card for close to 200 dollars of unauthorized charges. Trying to talk to management has been little help - they asked us to contact relatives for receipts to prove payment for things we never should have been charged for. Unreal. I spoke with the hotel manager (Percy) at length about all of these complaints, and he never apologized. Not once.

It's your call where you book a hotel, but why book here? There are better hotels in the area for similar prices that will treat you nicer and not leave you refuting charges on checkout.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Truly disappointed to read of your recent experience here at the Astor during your special weekend. Certainly not the memories we wanted to create for you for your wedding. I hope the billing issues have been corrected and if not please feel free to contact me. We are truly sorry for the expereince and wish to apologize for your stay. Rest assured your comments will be shared with our Executive Team and we thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza for four nights to attend a conference. The location on Canal Street and Bourbon Street was convenient to the French Quarter and restaurants. The rooms had the amenities expected for the price.

We had an issue with the heating and cooling system. Although it was was attended to right away, it broke down again within one day. After complaining about the internet, we were upgraded to a better internet connection, but we still could not even check our email without annoyance. Be prepared for street noise and an expensive stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Truly sorry regarding the challenges that occurred during your stay regarding our environmental services. Not an experience we want for any of our guests. We wish to apologize and thank you for sharing your comments. Your review will be a huge help in our contiunal strive for service excellence. Again, we are truly sorry we missed the boat regarding your visit and we hope you will give us another opportunity the next time NOLA is on your travel agenda. I am confident, if given another chance, your next stay will be quite different.
pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Wow! the valet parking is a nightmare! everything else was great so if you can "cab it" you're good to go! very busy, "happening" hotel, lots of fun and central to everything! we got a great group/business rate, not sure how the other (AAA, corp) rates compare to the rest of the city. some rooms can be noisy if they're location on the bourbon st side but the hotel gives you ear plugs!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Well, I read your review with mixed emotions. It seems like you enjoyed your stay but our valet service obviously put a damper on your entire experience. Truly sorry to hear this and wish to apologize for what I assume was a long wait for your car. Our valet team is quite challenged during high demand times due to our parking facilities being 4 blocks away. We are trying our best to perfect our service in this area but the physical challenges of the lot's location to the hotel really makes this difficult. I wish to thank you for your patronage and your comments. We hope you will give us another opportunity when your travels bring you back to the Big Easy.
Stone Mountain, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Convention business trip to the Big Easy for a few days. Had the pleasure of staying at the Astor Crowne Plaza French Quarter on Bourbon St.
The hotel has a lot of history and also luxury. From the moment I entered the lobby to my room I felt a sense of comfort and relaxation. While the nightlife on Bourbon St. can be a bit boisterous the hotel was a welcome relief to the party.
The location is right at the beginning of the nightlife - I also recommend dining at the Red Fish Grille right across the street from the Bourbon St. hotel entrance. I nice "convenience" that is sure to please your dinner cravings. Watch out for the chocolate bread pudding desert!!
If you're on a food "budget" there's always the Krystal Burgers place also outside the door on Bourbon St. Nice place to grab a snack between shows and dinner meetings!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Bourbon St. have the potential to be a little noisier from the revelries of the cr...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Now we are back on track...THANK YOU for the wonderful review! How kind of you to share your experience with us. The Red Fish Grill is truly great and yes the Krystal Burger is great for late night snacks after a long night of partying. Delighted to read that location fit your needs and we agree...our location is the best the city has to offer. Rest assured your review will be shared with our entire team. We hope to see you back at the Astor real soon.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!