“Ballin' on Bourbon” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #106 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Livingston, Texas
“Ballin' on Bourbon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Hotel was in an excellent location. We could walk to one end of Bourbon and make out way back to our hotel at the end of the night stopping at all of the bars on the way back. It was also close to other areas like the French Market and Frenchmen St. The rooms were nice and the beds were comfortable. The Hotel staff was pleasant and were very fast when my friend called for a toothbrush in the middle of the night. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Well the title of your review was a first for us! Thank you for the nice review and kind comments on our team. We agree, our location is unsurpassed and we are delighted that you feel the same. Pleased to hear that you will be retuning and we hope to see you back at the Astor real soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Polish first
Ville Platte, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We went to NOLA on a ladies' getaway trip. We had a wonderful time and were treated wonderfully by all of the employees, especially Eric Brack, Pamela Green, and Peter Ambros. They are truly an asset to this hotel. We will be staying here everytime we go to NOLA. Keep up the good work, guys.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for selecting the Astor for your ladies weekend in the Big Easy! A special thanks for mentioning our associates in your review. Our staff loves to see their names in reviews and they also get a little incentive from the hotel each time their name is mentioned. So behalf of Eric, Pam, Mr. Ambros our General Manager and the rest of our team, we thank you for your patronage and your kind words.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Just stayed for Oct 6-8 weekend. Excellent location, out the back door directly onto Bourbon street - check in was perfect, very helpful for directions. Room was tired on 9th floor, stain on carpet, shower tap was loose, shower grab bar almost falling off, wall paper peeling BUT, overall rest hotel was excellent. Have to see Paul Kernan - he is Concierge - he had great suggestions on tours, dinners, etc - he made the trip so much better. We did not eat there but stopped in at bar, service was excellent.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your most recent stay here at the Astor. I wish to apologize regarding the appearance of the bathroom. Rest assured your comments will be shared with our maintaince department. Delighted Paul was able to make your stay. He is a great asset to our team and we were delighted to hear that he was of great assistance during your weekend visit. We hope to see you back at the Astor real soon.
Nederland, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I wanted to comment on three of your employees that made our trip very special. Ms. Pamela Green, Mr. Peter Ambros and Mr. Eric Brack are such special people. In this life you meet people that are nice,but these three were the kindes people to me and the whole group that I had traveled with that any of us had ever met. Our stay was so very nice. The hotel was very clean and comfortable too. We will be coming back, and I can't wait to see my friends again. Please let them know just how important they are. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!
Linda K. Stansbury

Nederland, Texas 77627

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ms Stansbury, how kind of you to take the time to write such special comments on our associates. All three will be tickled by your mention in this review. All three team members are of great value to our team, especially Peter Ambros our General Manager and leader here at the Astor. I was honored to read that you will be returning and by your reference of our associates as your "friends". Compliments just don't get any better than that! Thank you again for your kind words and of course for your patronage.
NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Before I start, may I say that maybe some of the problems could be cultural differences, however should not be acceptable to any traveler. I attended a conference in this hotel and the hosts also had many problems with the staff. Desk staff was mixed personalities with some being very helpful and friendly to others who really wanted to only get you out of their space. Many problems with room locations and noise. The New Orleans water system for the downtown was contaminated and hotels were told to provide bottle water. The front desk gave me a half size bottle of water and told me that was all they had and that all I needed was something to brush my teeth with and I should get water from the vending machine. As I walked away others received several bottles. Rather than argue I went to CVS across the street and bought water. I was moved at my request away from street noise on Canal Street to another room that the a/c would not cool lower than 76 degrees. I kept the fan running all night and called to the front desk requesting someone service the unit. At 3:00PM as the sun began shining into the room I visited the room and found nothing had been done including housekeeping. I visited the front desk and was told that the a/c had probably been repaired. I advised the desk clerk that it was around 80 degrees and would she please check to see if a request was placed. She then told me that she would put a request in. Never did get the repair since I was leaving the next day. If another conference is held at this location I would stay elsewhere even if I had to pay myself.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Wow, not what we like to see in a review or have any guest experience here at the Astor. I am truly sorry for the lack of service you received during your stay. Please know, that what you experienced is not indictive of the hotel and we regret that we have lost you as a valued repeat guest. We thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Rest assured your review will be shared with our management team. We hope you will reconsider the Astor on your next visit. I am confident that if given another opportunity, your next experience will be a different one.
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Very nice hotel and service staff was great. I would give it an excellent rating but the room service breakfast was average at best. Beds are comfy but it can be a bit loud from the wild area but earplugs are provided (no joke). We would stay here again but skip room service. Parking is $30 per day, don't get caught off guard on that.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank youf or your nice review. Sorry to read that your room service experience was average. We don't like to hear the word average regarding any aspect of the hotel and regret this missed opportunity to exceed your expectations. I will be sharing your review with our Chef to ensure that our future guests do not experience the average culinary experience that you had. Glad you enjoyed your stay and our team and we hope to see you back in New Orleans real soon!
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We found this hotel to be generally of a good standard. The room was well appointed and the lobby was impressive.The location was excellent, all of the staff we dealt with were polite and attentive and lobby was impressive. The attached bar and restaurant looked pleasant enough although we didn't eat there. We had breakfast in our room which was decent by the standard of hotel breakfasts. It wasn't perfect though. $9.95 per 24 hours for in room Internet access is a baffling rip-off. Even more so when you consider that means $9.95 per device. At this price you'd expect super fast, reliable access, but it simply didn't work and we ended up having to traipse down to the lobby to connect there. The charge itself is unacceptable, especially when other hotels we stayed in on our trip, both large and small, provided complimentary Internet access. And at the rate the Astor charges it would seem petty of them to demand a fee for what has become a standard feature of modern hotels. If you're lucky, you might be able to leech off the Holiday Inn's WiFi, provided free of charge to its guests.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Yes, the hotel does charge for in-room internet service as do many hotel chains including the Crowne Plaza Brand. There is a fee for the convenience of in-room service, but as you mentioned the hotel offers free internet in the lobby and in the business center. Now if your connection was a bad one then there should have been a refund issued...not sure if you brought this to the hotel's attention. If you had, I am confident a refund would have been offered. We do not wish to charge any guest for a service that was not up to their expectations. I wish to apologize for the challenge regarding the internet. It does sound like you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you back at the Astor on your next trip to New Orleans. Thank you for your valued comments.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!