“ASTOR” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #104 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Ridgway, Pennsylvania
“ASTOR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed there in September of 2011, and the hotel was awesome.
The staff was very helpfull and the rooms were spotless.
The resturant and bars were a lot of fun!!
What more can you say??
It is on the corner of Bourbon and Canal Street!!!!!!

It was a great stay, thanks Greg Johnson
See you in September 2012!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
What an awesome review! Thank you for your kind words. Delighted to read that you had a blast...SO when are you coming back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
Peachtree City, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

Our ac was not cooling the room. A friend in another room had the same problem. It took several calls over a day and a half to get it fixed. They left the room full of dust.

Then, the day we checked out, they said the valet could not bring our car. We had to ride a shuttle a couple of blocks to a parking deck. The when the guy came with the car, he passed by us. We had to yell until he stopped as he was taking our car back to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
IHGCare, IHGCare at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Robin13travels,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am pleased you found our location commendable. Please accept my sincerest apology for the air conditioning issues you experienced. Thank you for bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource of improving guest services.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bloomington, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

My family stayed for three nights and were delighted with our stay. The hotel itself is very nice, with an impressive lobby area and spacious rooms for an older hotel. The bathrooms were modern and clean. There is a small rooftop pool overlooking Canal Street with a nice sized deck. The pool is small, but worked to keep us cool on a hot New Orleans afternoon.

What made our stay exceptional was the friendliness and attentiveness of the staff, ranging from the front desk, housekeeping, to administration (who would make welcoming comments to guests as they were passing in the hallway). A special thank you goes to Ms. Pamela in the Executive Club Level. We enjoyed breakfast there daily, and her and her staff were especially wonderful and friendly. On our last day, Ms. Pamela surprised my two young daughters with a gift of Crowne Plaza small stuffed animals. They were very excited! In addition to the mardi gras masks they purchased, the stuffed animals with the hotel's name on them will be another lasting reminder of our trip for them. As my family plans future travel, they now ask if we are staying in a Crowne Plaza.

Bottom line, there are a lot of great hotels to choose from that are also convenient to the French Quarter, but the staff at exceeded our expectations, and we will definitely stay at the Astor Crowne Plaza when we return to New Orleans.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Wow, thank you for the glowing review. A special thanks regarding your service comments on Pam and our team. Our goal is to make all of our guests feel at home and delighted to read that the staff was able to accomplish this during your visit. Our team is what makes our hotel special and proud to see that our team exceeded your expectations. We hope to see you back at the Astor real soon. Again, thank you for the wonderful review.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights right after getting married in January 2011...we went to New Orleans for our mini-moon. We actually didn't pay for our hotel stay because we had to attend a timeshare presentation.

The hotel is beautiful, especially the lobby and the architecture. Our room was a little dated, but comfortable and nice. The timeshare organization had given us a room with 2 queen beds, so that wouldn't have been our first choice, but it was free!

The room was shockingly quiet, even though the hotel is located at the corner of Canal and Bourbon, and there's partying going on right down the street. Didn't even need the earplugs they give us. It's also right across the street from a major streetcar stop. We didn't drive anywhere...either walked or took the streetcar.

We splurged on room service a couple times, and the food was good and came in large portions. The complimentary breakfast was also good. We wish we would've eaten in the restaurant.

I would definitely stay here again...everything was great, and the staff was friendly.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for selecting the Astor for your mini-moon! I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as our outstanding location. Always pleased to hear that we have created a new loyal guest in you regarding future visits. It is our repeat customers that ensure our future ...thank you for your confidence in our team. A special thanks for the nice review and we hope to see you back at the Astor for your second honeymoon!
Riverdale, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I joined 5 friends on a trip just to get away a due a little gambling and dancing in New Orleans. The Crowne Plaza was having a big convention of Vet in a motorcycle club and I can tell you it was busy so upon my arrival I looked for it to be a long wait for check in. I was wrong the service was great. I had a small issue in my room and the evening supervisor came up to check things out and this is where the service was just over the top. She was so professional if it had been a worse situation her would have won me over I have been in hospitality for over 23 year I if she was in Atlanta I would hire she in a flash. I hope I remembered her name right I want to thank Jennifer Brown the PM supervisor who took care of room 1415 you are a Gem!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for the wonderful review. Delighted to hear that our team made your stay. Coming from a fellow colleague in the industry, please know your comments are valued. I will pass on your comments to Ms. Brown's supervisor. She will be tickled by your mention on this site. We also give each employee a little incentive when their name is mentioned in a review so know your mention of her name will reap some reward for her. Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts on the Astor and we hope to see you back in New Orleans and Astor real soon.
iluvdatiger
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is located on the corner of Canal and Bourbon. The Bourbon House restaurant is on the lobby level, we ate there for breakfast and it was pretty good but nothing great. The bed was comfy and the bathroom was just normal, nothing fancy. Check in allowed us to check in early! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012
We agree, our location is one of the best that New Orleans has to offer. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Delighted to hear that you will be returning and we hope to see you back in New Orleans in the near future.
Eastern US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We spent three nights here this July. It was nice but had a few issues. The first was that the sheets were stained with what looked like blood. Due to flight delays, we didn't get check in until about 2am and after realizing that the sheets were clean and the stain as old, we avoided that section of the bed (it was a king size) and went to sleep. If it had been earlier, I would have insisted on new sheets. It was a stain that the person making the bed had to have seen too. That sheet should not have been used in a guest room! It did make me wonder if cleaning corners had been cut elsewhere.

The other problem in the room was the air conditioner. The panel was off the wall and just resting next to it and sticking out. We asked if it could be reattached (it appeared to be missing its screws) but it was never taken care of. It also was having trouble keeping the room cool evn though we set it for as low as it could go. It was a little but cooler than average for NOLA in July when we were there so it wasn't horrible but if it had been normal temps, it would have been uncomfortably warm.

Now the good: fantastic location! It has a little bit of street noise (but it's a city so of course!) but overall was a quiet hotel so you could enjoy the French Quarter but still get away from the hubbub when you wanted to. The staff was very friendly and everyone said hello when they passed you in the hallways. Common areas were clean and check in was easy. Checking out was a little harder but that was because they let us have a late check out and we happened to hit a tour group checking in as we were trying to check out. It happens!

The room was nice. There was a lot of room to spread out in (and lots if counter space in the bathroom!) The bed (with clean unstained sheets) was very comfortable. It was great to have wifi and coffee in the room. I know there have been some complaints about the brand of coffee in the rooms on here so I wasn't expecting much but it was very good coffee!

Overall, I don't know if I will ever go back to New Orleans. (It seemed to be a see it once type place but I am not opposed to visiting the city again either.) If I did go back, I would consider staying at this hotel again if the price wasn't too outlandish. I would recommend it to friends but not as a "you gotta stay here!" type place. But in all fairness, there is not where else I would recommend as a better choice either. I think the sheets issue is really what is holding me back from full reccomendation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on the hotel. I was disappointed to read of the stained sheets in your review. You are correct in that these sheets should have never been used and please know your comment will be shared with our Director of Housekeeping. I was delighted to read your comments regarding our team because it is our team that separates the Astor from our competitors. Thank you again for your review and please know a return visit to New Orleans should be considered. I am confident that there is so much more to see and we would be honored to have you as our guest one that time approaches.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!