“Signs of Stress” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #112 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Washington, DC
“Signs of Stress”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2007

Although the French Quarter escaped much of the flooding after Katrina, the entire city is still reeling from the devastation it caused. This includes businesses in the French Quarter, which have been greatly affected by the fact that over 50% of the population has not yet returned to New Orleans. Understaffing is as big an issue to local businesses as rebuilding, it seems.

I attended a conference held at the Astor Crowne Plaza in early December 2007. The room I stayed in was clean, comfortable and very generic. However, the hotel seems to be having some real difficulties. The restaurant was poorly staffed and no one seemed to know what they were doing. The hotel air conditioning system was totally messed up. Most of the meetings rooms were absolutely freezing, yet the humidity was incredibly high.

That said, I would whole heartedly recommend a stay at the Astor Crowne Plaza. Even though there was a lot of disorganization the staff was incredibly nice, helpful and friendly. I got a very warm feeling from everyone I passed in the hall or approached for help. They really are trying to offer the best service possible given the very difficult circumstances they are continuing to face.

Another observation: the French Quarter is loud and the Astor Crowne Plaza is right on Bourbon Street. If you're sensitive to noise this is going to be a problem. There were revelers and multi piece bands playing right outside the hotel until 4 am. This is of course what's fun about New Orleans for many. But if that isn't your thing, ask for a room near the top of the hotel. They do also provide earplugs to guests.

Definitely consider visiting New Orleans. The city needs our tourist dollars to help recover.

• Liked — The friendly people
  • Disliked — The restaurant
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Marietta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2007

This hotel is beautiful, but has a staffing problem. I went to brunch for breakfast and had to get EVERYTHING - including beverages. Then the staff expects a tip for delivering a bill.

I tried to check out early, and told the counter staff that I was voluntarily forfeiting the night's cost. All I wanted to do was close out my credit card for incidentals. They still wanted to assess me a $50.00 "early check-out fee" - despite the fact that I was not getting my money back for the night's stay! When I protested to the manager, he gave me a non-caring shrug of the shoulders and basically said there was nothing he could do.

I just got notice from my trip organizer that someone on the billing staff apparently deleted some entries with my group's paperwork, and we could all be facing an additional $30.00 charge to our credit cards.

Just like the rest of New Orleans, this place is a big scam designed to strip out-of-town folk from their money.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2007

Booked this as a 4 star mystery hotel on Bookit.com. I was a bit concerned after reading negative reviews on here, but had the same experience in Boston this summer, and that turned out fine, so I was optimistic. Upon arrival, I learned my concerns were unfounded. The hotel was very nice, perfect location, and staff were all very friendly and helpful. We felt welcomed from the minute of our arrival, until the time we left. Our room was beautifully appointed, beds VERY comfortable, nice amenities. Noise was a concern expressed by others, but we experienced no noise whatsoever during our stay. In fact, there was a little gift bag in the room that had earplugs, an eye mask and lavendar pillow spray, which was a wonderful surprise. On our last of 3 nights, I called for a late check out, and they gave me 2 extra hours, which was great as we had a late flight out that day. I would definitely stay here again, and would recommend the Astor Crowne Plaza to any of my friends or family.

• Liked — Location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing, it was great
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Fayetteville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2007

I have never been treated with such disrespect by a business in my life. My friends and I came down from Arkansas for the LSU- Razoraback football game and wanted a safe nice hotel to stay at after the game in NO. What we got was a 10 hour drive home and treated terrible by very very rude and incompotent staff. The hotel never sent conformtion for reservations which was needed to clear the police barricades to the hotel. We could not even get to our hotel and were told my hotel staff to " Park your car somewhere and try to walk to the hotel with your bags....or you can check in sometime tomorrow" After driving around the city for 3 hrs and being hung up on by staff at Astor Crowne Plaza, we decided to just drive back home....this ruined our time in LA and New Orleans. DO NOT, stay at this hotel if you can avoid it. I am so disapointed by any travel site that recommends this place.

• Liked — n/a
  • Disliked — The staff and managers were very rude.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2007

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza for two nights at the end of October. First off, it's a great location for the French Quarter, it's on Canal between Royal and Bourbon. You can't get much more convenient than that.

We paid $174 a night as part of a conference rate and, personally, I found it a bit high, especially when I paid the same rate at the Sheraton for the last 4 nights of my stay.

Check-in went fairly quickly although the Priority Club line was not staffed. I did get a goody bag as a Priority Club member which was a nice touch.

The rooms are large and clean with all the standard amenities. However, the wallpaper was peeling in a couple of places, the shower grout was mildewed and the faucet in the bath dripped and leaked the whole time.

I'd stay there again if I could get it for a lower price but at $175 a night I expect the property to be in a bit better shape.

The few staff members we encountered were very helpful.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Uncared for interiors
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2007

ok...so i was skeptical about booking this hotel because the reviews of it were either were saying it was spectacular or horrible....our experience overall....was pretty good......the hotel was nice....not nasty or horrible like previous reviews.....for an older hotel....it is kept up well....the employees were oh so friendly....everyone smiled and greeted us....we tipped everyone from valet to the front desk to bell persons to housekeeping because they did in fact deserve it.....we checked in 6hrs earlier than the designated time and they had both of our rooms available....we booked our rooms through bookit.com's mystery hotel....it was a great deal.....the main problem i encountered was valet....they do not have a lot on site....so you had to wait a while to get your car....the first day we were able to call and have our car ready....but over the weekend, it was a good 15-30min wait for the car....which was a bit of a drag with a big group.....it was $25/day for valet plus tip which was pretty steep, but its right smack dab in the middle of the french quarter.....so that's a given.....So the whole experience was great....but one problem that makes it final for me to never stay here again....there was a rat in our room the last night....we saw it running around...and flipped out....who knows how long it had been there....we called front desk...and they offered us to change rooms....but then we saw the rodent run out....so we just decided to stay...but that pretty much ruined the last night there....i spoke to the front desk when i checked out...they said because i did not book directly with the hotel....they could not reimburse my money in any way....and my valet bill still had to be paid in full because apparently it's a seperate company from the hotel.....so they gave me guest relations' number....i spoke with her....she said she'll comp me for one night's stay if i use that within the next year...why would i stay in a hotel i know can't take care of a rodent problem......so i said no....so she said let her check what other options there are and she'll return my call.....almost 2 weeks later....she never called me...i called and spoke with the manager on duty....and he had her call me back...i was busy at work so her message said that she had been in meetings and it slipped her mind about the situation.....and she apologized....so now....she left another message...saying she'll credit me back my valet bill which was $111 for 4 nights for the room with rat......which is fine i guess....it just sucks that the experience had to end this way......but the employees were outstanding!! its just such a shame that such a nice hotel had a rodent problem.....

• Liked — the service of all the employees i came across
  • Disliked — the mouse in the room...and guest relations not returning my call....
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

Just got back from a 5 night stay with my boyfriend at this hotel - 9/28/07 - 10/3/07. We took a chance and booked the "mystery hotel" deal through bookit.com. When I found out what hotel we were going to be staying at, I immediately started reading through all of the reviews I could find. Some of them scared me, and I was tempted to change our reservations - I'm so glad I didn't - this hotel was fantastic! We requested a non-smoking room on an upper floor, and got a room facing Canal St. on the 9th floor. We arrived early and checked in early with no problems. It was quiet, clean, and the bed was sooo comfortable. The water pressure was good, too, something I always appreciate. The staff was friendly and helpful. The location can't be beat - this hotel is at the corner of Canal and Bourbon - walking distance to everything in the quarter. I would imagine that the rooms facing Bourbon would be louder, so I'd request a room facing Canal, or one on an upper floor if you want quiet. We loved it!

• Liked — quiet, comfortable room
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)