“Great Service at the Astor!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #98 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Los Angeles
“Great Service at the Astor!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

I stayed at the hotel during the Essence Music Festival weekend and I was really impressed with the customer service. The staff were very attentive to our needs and worked to correct any mishaps. I thought this was the party hotel but not at all. The hallways and lobby were kind of low key for the most part, especially at night given you had to be a hotel guest to enter. Our room was located on the historical side of the hotel and I found it charming but modern with the high ceilings, flat screens, and really high beds, which slept great. Overall, I had a wonderful experience at the Astor and would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
How kind of you to take the time to share your experience here at the Astor during the recent Essence Festival. We were delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. I too like the Alexa, the historic wing of the hotel. You hit it right on the nose...charming yet modern! We are pleased that you had a wonderful expereince and we hope to see you back at the Astor real soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

Once again, I had an enjoyable stay at the Astor Crowne Plaza Hotel in New Orleans! I always love to stay at this hotel because of the location...corner of Canal and Bourbon. You can't beat that! They were all booked up when I first got my tickets for the Essence Festival, so I reluctantly made reservations at another hotel in the area. That hotel messed up my reservation a couple of weeks before my arrival, so I made a phone call to Don Zimmer, Director of Sales and he worked a miracle and managed to get me a room at my favorite hotel in New Orleans! Thanks, Don!

Our room was on the 6th floor on the Bourbon Street side and I was sure we wouldn't get any rest! But surprisingly, it wasn't bad at all! Plus, who sleeps during Essence Festival?!! Yes, parking was a hassle during the event, but I can honestly say that it's not usually like that on a normal day. I had to walk from the parking lot a few times back to the hotel, instead of waiting for the shuttle. But I must say the valet parking staff were nice, friendly and as accommodating as they could be during such a huge event.

Overall, I had a great experience at the Astor Crowne Plaza, once again! I look forward to returning again real soon!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
How nice of you to mention my name in your review. It truly wasn't a miracle...we just love repeat guests! Delighted to hear we met your expectations. A special thanks for understanding our valet challenges during an event like Essence. Most people do not take this into consideration regarding the delays in service. Thank you for the wonderful review and why wait until next year to come back and see us? Why not come back for Jazz Festival in April....the weather is great, the entertainment and food unsurpased and of course we'll be hear to serve up another great stay!! Hope to see you soon.
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

the location of this hotel was great. Everything else was not so much. The room was damp. We checked in, and then went to a concert, by the time we got back, all of our belongings were damp. I could not even find something warm and dry to put on. I put the do not disturb sign on my door for the entire weekend. Every morning, starting around 8 AM, the maid started knocking. I would wake up, and tell her no, then about 20 minutes later, she would come back. This went on until I opened the door and showed her the sign. But she did it again the next day. These would be expected of a cheaper hotel...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, July 20, 2011
Well certainly disappointed to hear your comments and I wish to apologize for the challenges you encountered. Certainly not indictive of our hotel. Rest assured your comments will be shared with our Executive Housekeeper. Thank you for your review and we hope you will give us anotheropportunity the next time New Orleans is on your agenda.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011 via mobile

We were in new orleans for my birthday and I chose the plaza thinking it would be an upscale property. The rooms were small but clean and the restaurant was great. However the pool and fitness center was closed because there wad a swingers convention. They did not tell us when we booked and had no access to the amenities. There were people walking around with whips half naked. I would not have expected this for an upscale chain like the plaza. I specifically chose this hotel for the amenities and location. Regarding the location, we stayed on july 8th and 9th. There were 2 shootings outside on bourbon street if which we had to run for cover. I would definitely not recommend tthis hotel unless your a swinger who likes to live on the edge!

• Stayed July 2011
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
Happy belated birthday! You are correct regarding the hotel's social convention that was booked during your stay. The hotel does not discriminate regarding any convention as along as they abide by hotel policy. Regarding the nudity in the public areas, I am confident that this was not the case. We had security posted in the lobby 24 hours a day to ensure this would not occur. As for the whips,it was possible that you may have seen a few of the costumed conventioneers. This social group has been with the Astor for several years and our approach is the same for them as any other convention. The convention did buy out the main tower which includes our pool and fitnes area. Arrangements were secured at the nearby hotel for our non-convention guests to use their pool and fitness area. Regarding the shooting on Bourbon Street, this did occur, but certainly you are not holding the Astor responsible for an incident that occurred outside the hotel. Unfortunate for us that you will not be returning to the hotel. We thank you for your review and for your past patronage.
Charleston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

We took the advice of others & didn't stay on the Bourbon Street side. We didn't have a vehicle, so we didn't have to deal with the parking problem. We were there for a couples convention & found the hotel to be clean & the staff to be very friendly. Our group used the ballroom for the evening & some day events & many of us found it as well as the hallways to be quite cold, but otherwise the facility was nice for our event.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and our hospitality. We are honored to host the social event that you attended for the last two years and we look forward to 2012. Thank you for your suggestion regarding the air conditioning and we will keep this in mind for 2012. We hope to see back at the Astor real soon and especially next July.
san jose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

What a great hotel in such a great place. Don't let the hot July weather keep you away from this great city. It's all cool breezes at the Astor Crowne Plaza NO! It was my first trip here, but certainly not my last. We enjoyed all the pleasures of a Suite on the corner of Bourbon Street. Each night we were able to enjoy the hospitality suite on the 4th floor, and Denise R. and Tonia R. staffed it each night. We loved loved loved them both. One night Denise even sang for us! We will look for them on our next trip. The rest of the hotel staff were equally as nice and helpful. All around great time!

Room Tip: Don't get that room with only the sky light. A cpl that got it said it was like being in a jail...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
You made my day FABULOUS! I loved your statement "it is all cool breezes at the Astor". We are honored that you selected the Astor for your first trip to the Big Easy! Thank you for your wonderful review and the kind comments regarding Tonia and Denise. These two ladies are a true asset to our team and hotel. They will be tickled that you mentioned them in your review! It sounds like we have made you a loyal fan...can't ask for anything more than that. We look forward to your return to the Astor in the near future. Thanks again for taking the time to pen your thoughts on your Astor Experience.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

We stayed at the Astor Crown Plaza for the Memorial Day WE with a couple of friends. It;s a nice hotel -with really great beds (hard to get up in the morning- but best of all is the location. And the sales manager who swiftly responded to all our questions.

On the edge of the French Quarter but also right at the cable car stop to discover the Garden District or the cemeteries and a nice stroll trhough the quarter to Frenchmen Street.

If you avoid the Bourbon Street side or if you stay on a high floor, which we did, you will not have any noise from Bourbon Street (and that is a must).

One remark. Do not expect too much from the pool. It looked like a big frat and bachelor(ette) party with beer all over the place, not really what you expect from such hotel.

Overall, a great experience, would come back but would not take my swimming trunks anymore.

Room Tip: Not at the Bourbon Street Side or High Floor
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
Thank you for your review! We agree the hotel's location is a "Great" one. We apologize about the pool over the Memorial Day Weekend. We did have a lot of young adults that weekend. Typically our pool area is not crowded and usually a peaceful surrounding....so please bring your swim trunks on your next visit....I am confident that your experience will be different. Again, thank you for the wonderful review and we hope to see you back real soon!

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!