“Crowne Plaza-in N.O.= NO!!!! Terrible trip.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #87 of 152 hotels in New Orleans
Fayetteville
“Crowne Plaza-in N.O.= NO!!!! Terrible trip.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2007

I have never been treated with such disrespect by a business in my life. My friends and I came down from Arkansas for the LSU- Razoraback football game and wanted a safe nice hotel to stay at after the game in NO. What we got was a 10 hour drive home and treated terrible by very very rude and incompotent staff. The hotel never sent conformtion for reservations which was needed to clear the police barricades to the hotel. We could not even get to our hotel and were told my hotel staff to " Park your car somewhere and try to walk to the hotel with your bags....or you can check in sometime tomorrow" After driving around the city for 3 hrs and being hung up on by staff at Astor Crowne Plaza, we decided to just drive back home....this ruined our time in LA and New Orleans. DO NOT, stay at this hotel if you can avoid it. I am so disapointed by any travel site that recommends this place.

• Liked — n/a
  • Disliked — The staff and managers were very rude.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

1,381 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2007

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza for two nights at the end of October. First off, it's a great location for the French Quarter, it's on Canal between Royal and Bourbon. You can't get much more convenient than that.

We paid $174 a night as part of a conference rate and, personally, I found it a bit high, especially when I paid the same rate at the Sheraton for the last 4 nights of my stay.

Check-in went fairly quickly although the Priority Club line was not staffed. I did get a goody bag as a Priority Club member which was a nice touch.

The rooms are large and clean with all the standard amenities. However, the wallpaper was peeling in a couple of places, the shower grout was mildewed and the faucet in the bath dripped and leaked the whole time.

I'd stay there again if I could get it for a lower price but at $175 a night I expect the property to be in a bit better shape.

The few staff members we encountered were very helpful.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Uncared for interiors
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2007

ok...so i was skeptical about booking this hotel because the reviews of it were either were saying it was spectacular or horrible....our experience overall....was pretty good......the hotel was nice....not nasty or horrible like previous reviews.....for an older hotel....it is kept up well....the employees were oh so friendly....everyone smiled and greeted us....we tipped everyone from valet to the front desk to bell persons to housekeeping because they did in fact deserve it.....we checked in 6hrs earlier than the designated time and they had both of our rooms available....we booked our rooms through bookit.com's mystery hotel....it was a great deal.....the main problem i encountered was valet....they do not have a lot on site....so you had to wait a while to get your car....the first day we were able to call and have our car ready....but over the weekend, it was a good 15-30min wait for the car....which was a bit of a drag with a big group.....it was $25/day for valet plus tip which was pretty steep, but its right smack dab in the middle of the french quarter.....so that's a given.....So the whole experience was great....but one problem that makes it final for me to never stay here again....there was a rat in our room the last night....we saw it running around...and flipped out....who knows how long it had been there....we called front desk...and they offered us to change rooms....but then we saw the rodent run out....so we just decided to stay...but that pretty much ruined the last night there....i spoke to the front desk when i checked out...they said because i did not book directly with the hotel....they could not reimburse my money in any way....and my valet bill still had to be paid in full because apparently it's a seperate company from the hotel.....so they gave me guest relations' number....i spoke with her....she said she'll comp me for one night's stay if i use that within the next year...why would i stay in a hotel i know can't take care of a rodent problem......so i said no....so she said let her check what other options there are and she'll return my call.....almost 2 weeks later....she never called me...i called and spoke with the manager on duty....and he had her call me back...i was busy at work so her message said that she had been in meetings and it slipped her mind about the situation.....and she apologized....so now....she left another message...saying she'll credit me back my valet bill which was $111 for 4 nights for the room with rat......which is fine i guess....it just sucks that the experience had to end this way......but the employees were outstanding!! its just such a shame that such a nice hotel had a rodent problem.....

• Liked — the service of all the employees i came across
  • Disliked — the mouse in the room...and guest relations not returning my call....
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

Just got back from a 5 night stay with my boyfriend at this hotel - 9/28/07 - 10/3/07. We took a chance and booked the "mystery hotel" deal through bookit.com. When I found out what hotel we were going to be staying at, I immediately started reading through all of the reviews I could find. Some of them scared me, and I was tempted to change our reservations - I'm so glad I didn't - this hotel was fantastic! We requested a non-smoking room on an upper floor, and got a room facing Canal St. on the 9th floor. We arrived early and checked in early with no problems. It was quiet, clean, and the bed was sooo comfortable. The water pressure was good, too, something I always appreciate. The staff was friendly and helpful. The location can't be beat - this hotel is at the corner of Canal and Bourbon - walking distance to everything in the quarter. I would imagine that the rooms facing Bourbon would be louder, so I'd request a room facing Canal, or one on an upper floor if you want quiet. We loved it!

• Liked — quiet, comfortable room
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alvin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

We loved our stay at the Astor Crowne Plaza French Quarter!!! Everything about our stay was fantastic. We went during Mardi gra and had a blast. There was four of us and we all agreed that the location, people and cleanliness of the Astor Crowne Plaza was awesome. The manager himself carried our bags up to our room for us. I only have one complaint....... The balcony was off limits cause it was mardigra.... BUT even so had a wonderful time and would recommend this hotel to any and everyone..
Ronnie ....... Alvin TX

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Wouldnt let anyone on the balcony during mardigra.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

I have stayed at the Astor twice and have absolutely no idea what people mean when they talk about a bad experience.
Everyone, from the front desk, the bartenders, the housekeeping staff, the bell men, etc...were all fabulous. The hotel is beautiful, safe and centrally located. The rooms are clean, the beds comfortable. Although I have not had the Milk Punch, I did spend some time in the bar and found it to be alot of fun. The folks hanging out in there were a blast. The food at Bourbon House is a bit on the pricey side, but what do you expect of a Brennan's restaurant? I found the food and service to be amazing. As for the ones that wrote about the noise and the "dirty, smelly streets", you should have picked a place other than New Orleans to visit. I am heading there again this weekend and have a reservation at the Astor...I'm sure I will not be disappointed :)

• Liked — Location and value
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
the_admiral_MB
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

This was my worst hotel stay ever. Hotwire should be embarrassed go carry this hotel. When I arrive the valet man start yelling at us. The we went inside and the manager didn't really care. He was to busy flirting with the female guests. We final got checked in and they put us in a room between the ice machine and the elevator so it was noisy all the time. The every morning at 8:00 AM housekeeping would knock. There were no "Do Not Disturb" signs. Then after telling htem to come back later. They would be back in 15 minutes. We final wrote a note on the door but they did not speak english to read it. Then one night we returned about 1:30 AM to crash and our neighbor left on his music really loud. We called downstairs and they replied "Sorry". We finally got someone to come turn it off about 2:30 AM. Then on checkout, there was yet another mess. Needless to say, I will not return. I explained how bad everything was when I left, they replied you will have to talk to hotwire.

Stayed September 2007

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!