“Terrific elegant hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #106 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
East Greenwich
“Terrific elegant hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

The Astor Crown Plaza is an elegant hotel on the very edge of the French Quarter and fronting on Canal Street. It is convenient for all the sights in New Orleans. The rooms were exceptionally comfortable with nice linens and plenty of towels. We stayed for 4 days for a conference in early May. My room was very quiet being located on the Canal St. side of the hotel. My colleagues had rooms on the Bourbon St. side and said it was very noisy late into the night. The hotel does provide earplugs however. The exercise room is well equipped and the pool is nice but small. Good restaurant down stairs -The Bourbon House. The only negative is that there is little to watch on television if you want to relax for a while-channels are limited. Terrific stay however and staff was very helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Canal Street side of hotel.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
Wow...what a nice review....thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding our hotel. Your review really put a smile on my face. When we share comments such as yours with our team...it really helps to emphasize the impact that each of our associates can have regarding quality service and the guest experience. We agree the Astor is a great place to stay, but then I am a little biased! Thank you again for the great review and we look forward to a return visit real soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Polish first
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

This is a typical conference hotel, with furniture and carpeting that have seen better days. However, it's surprisingly quiet, given that it's on the corner of Bourbon and Canal, and has a nice fitness center. Not the type of place I would stay if traveling on a vacation, but for work it was adequate. Overall, it's just average.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
A bit shabby..ouch! That hurts...seeing as the Astor has been renovated within the last few years and we just recently added flat screen TV's and new bedding. True we are a conference hotel and we do experience a high volume of conventions, but our team does their best to keep our product clean and fresh. Not sure what happened with your room but reassured we will look into this further. We do an enormous amount of leisure travel because our location is the best that New Orleans has to offer to our vacation travelers. I am sorry we let you down and did not meet your expectations. We hope you will give us another opportunity when New Orleans is back on your agenda.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

I was happy until this experience, which was a deal breaker for me. I had paid for my room with Expedia. When I checked in, I was told my room was paid and they needed a card for incidentals. When I returned home to California, I checked my account and saw that I was charged for my hotel stay again! This caused me a lot of grief because it caused an overdraft. When I called the hotel, I was told to call back the next day to speak to an accountant. When I called back, I was transferred to a voice mail that stated that I would get a call back in "24 to 48 hours." I called Expedia who called the hotel on my behalf and stated that the error was created. My bank says that it will take "3 to 5 business days" for my acct to be credited back. I don't even know if I want to come back to New Orleans after this experience.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Well it does not get any worse then this...I am so sorry! Obviously this was a grave error on behalf of one of our new desk clerks. We did receive your email and have addressed the error with the clerk and the refund was credited back immediately. We even placed a call to your bank to try and expedite the refund. There is no excuse for this and we regret we have lost a potential repeat customer, but please do not give up on our city. We hope you will reconsider coming back to New Orleans, even if the Astor is not a possibility.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

Dirty room? Check. Noisy? Check. Rude staff? Check. Soft water? Check. Terrible water pressure? Check. Slow internet? Check.

We reserved our room through http://BookIt.com, which may have been our first mistake. It doesn't seem like they're a full service travel agency, as they were unable or unwilling to help us when we had a problem. We picked the 4-star 4-diamond Mystery Hotel, and pretty sure those ratings are from the early 80s. We arrived to a not-so-clean room, and a ton of noise. There's numerous carpet stains, and what looks to be chips in the porcelain (or plastic more likely) of the tub, and a few disconcerting stains in the tub as well. The walls in this place are very thin, so you can easily hear your neighbors' conversations and every time they use the sink/toilet/shower. The hotel is also on the corner of Bourbon Street, so you get to listen to the music blasting from some of the clubs all night too. We had originally asked for a king sized bed on a higher floor, but got two queens on a low floor. When I brought this up with the front desk, they didn't seem to care, and essentially left me with "the hotel is on Bourbon Street, so what did you expect?" Well, I expected my requests to be at least considered, the staff to be helpful, and my room to be neat and tidy. As for the noise, maybe you should install double paned glass or more insulation so guests don't hear everything going on next door and 5 floors below. At the very least, clearly state on your website and any place you advertise that it's a noisy property. To top it all off, the showers seem to be pumping out maybe a gallon an hour, so you're left with a trickle of soft water. Have fun trying to get shampoo and soap off with that. I don't know if the soft water is a New Orleans thing, but from my experience at some of the bars and restaurants, it seems to be just a Crowne Plaza thing. So stop pumping water softener into your water, and dial up your pressure while you're at it.

Lesson learned: don't stay on Bourbon street, and remember that Crowne Plaza hotels don't seem to have received updates in a few decades. Go with a boutique hotel (some in the area looked very cool) or one of the bigger brands that has a little more cache (and deeper pockets to keep their properties up to date).

The only nice thing about our stay was the one concierge guy that was kind and helpful. Other than that, this place is the pits.

Room Tip: Don't bother. Find another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
We obviously missed it all around with your stay. We send a huge apology to you for this terrible experience. While your description is not indicative of our hotel, but I am sure for you it is. We certainly would like to make this up to you some how. I will email you personally to see what we can do. Thank you for your review and rest assured your comments will be shared with our executive committee.
East Hartford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for three nights during Jazzfest. Recently upgraded rooms and facilities make this a great hotel with a prefect location on Canal St. The staff could not be more helpful. The executive lounge is open for eight hours (morning and evenings) and the manager (Pamela Green) is the best!! We will return to this hotel often.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
How nice of you to pen this great review on the Astor. We appreciate your time in this regard. We were delighted to learn that we met your expectations and we hope to see you at Jazz Fest 2012 if not sooner!
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

I was in a king room for four days and had no issues. The hotel is clean, my room was quiet. I switched rooms to a double for the last night because a friend was joining me. The next day when we were walking around I noticed 8 small "dots" in a series on the back of my lower leg. No, I did not go back and tell Crowne. I did not think they were anything really. By that evening they looked like "bed bug bites" - about the size of mosquito bites and just as itchy, but in a linear series on my lower leg. I know hotels cannot control this without knowing about it...and this was clearly not a massive infestation, but I am certain these are bed bug bites and I only hope that the washing of the contents of my bag upon arrival home was enough to kill any that may have tried to come with. I did have my luggage on the floor but kept all my items in it at all times. Sigh... I would recommend this hotel because bed bugs are in even the swankest of hotels. It was a clean and quiet hotel for being right in the heart of the French Quarter.

Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We certainly wished you would have let us known about your experience. Bed bugs are a serious issue for any hotelier. Our hotel takes a serious pro-active stance to bed bugs. Every week, every bed is inspected in the entire hotel. Our housekeeping staff has been trained thoroughly on bed bug detection. While it is impossible to prevent them because they are brought in by guests and luggage, but we have systems in place to catch them immediately before causing harm to any of our guests. Is there any way you can email us and let us know the room you occupied? We would really be grateful in this regard. Please accept our apology for this major inconvenience and we appreciate your response that this issue is not a cleanliness challenge and delighted that you were pleased with the hotel and services. Thank you for your review and for your future referrals.
VALDOSTA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

The hotel location is ideal within the French Quarter. Service was good. We stayed on the Bourbon Street side and the noise was not unbearable. Besides, we didn't go to N.O. to sleep - we went to party!

Room Tip: Request a room on a high floor to avoid noise
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, May 3, 2011
We agree, our location is one of the best in the city. Delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Astor and in the Big Easy!. Thank you for your review and party on!

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!