“Great stay with a few quibbles” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #104 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
New York, USA
“Great stay with a few quibbles”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

Had a fun time at the Astor Crowne over Mardi Gras weekend 2011. As others have said, the location is superb and the balcony served as a welcome respite from the crowds to watch the parade. We had no issues with noise whatsoever. At times, I could hear the revelry outside but it was a faint 'we need to get out there' noise, not a 'good gawd, doesn't anyone sleep in this town' type of noise.

We booked a triple room, and the room was indeed fantastic. Beds were beautifully made up with lots of extra pillows, giving the room a very regal look. We were given a linen bag containing earplugs, an eye mask and a linen spray. First quibble - we were only given one bag per room....for a triple room. I flagged down a Housekeeping lady and she confirmed that yes, there is only one welcome bag per room. Are we supposed to share earplugs and eye masks?? At almost $300 a night for a triple room during Mardi Gras weekend, I found this to be very nickle and dimeish.

The bathroom was very nicely appointed, but the water pressure was weak, there was no air vent and I couldn't help being weirded out by the fact that the coffeee maker, coffee etc were located in the corner of the bathroom countertop. Coffee pot in the bathroom?? I thought it was just me until my friends commented on it as well. Quibble number 2.

I decided to phone the front desk to let them know that the rest of my party would be getting in very late. As I have done in every other hotel I've stayed in, I turned to my bedside table to dial only to realize that there was only one phone in the room and it was across the room on the desk. I'm sure this sounds like nitpicking but I was kind of surprised. It's one of those things you don't really notice until you're exhausted and already laying down. There are ALWAYS phones on the bedside table! (Quibble #3). So I get to the lone phone and press the button that says 'Front Desk'. Someone answers and tells me I've reached Housekeeping. Figuring I'd misdialed, I do it again. Same thing. I finally asked the lady if I should press 'Housekeeping' to get the Front Desk. We shared a laugh over that one. She gave me the number for the front desk and I finally got through to them but I had to keep the number on a pad near the phone. (Quibble #4)

Room Service was fantastic! No quibbles here. Prompt, excellent quality and the staff was very courteous. The Creole Potato Salad is to die for! It is expensive by the time you factor in delivery, tax and the built in gratuity, but it was worth it when we just couldn't be bothered to brave the Bourbon St crowds. Wanted to store some water and soda but there is no mini-bar and no refrigerator in the room (Quibble #5). Even lower end hotels have a refrigerator.

Housekeeping staff is great. Never had to ask for anything. They work hard and do a great job. I will say that there is only one small trashcan in the bathroom and another small one in the room itself. These fill up pretty quickly and we ended having to swap out bags ourselves. Crowne Plaza, either add another can or make the lone trashcan in the room bigger please.

The balcony is awesome. We went up to view the parade and I ordered a rum and coke, which took forever to come. We were ready to leave and it still hadn't arrived so I flagged the girl down to cancel it and, considering she still didn't have the drinks with her, she agreed. The drink was still charged to my room ($15.38 by the time they added delivery charges and tax). I called the front desk the morning I checked out and was assured it would be removed, but it was still there when I looked at my charges online. I had to call the hotel again when I got back to New York. It was eventually removed so I was happy about that.

There is a full service business center where I sent a fax (at $3.00 for the first page and $2.00 every additional page, thank you very much), but there is also a room in the lobby where there are computers for use free of charge. You can even print. I loved that and it came in very handy for printing our boarding passes before we left. $9.95 a day for wifi just wasn't worth it when I could just run down to the lobby for a few mins.

The Bourbon House restaurant attached to the hotel is awesome! Had my first try of alligator there and loved it. The Crowne Plaza also offers coupons for a 10% discount at Oceana Grill nearby. Their 'lost bread' and alligator sausage are to die for and the blackened bayou duck is sinful. Great good all around.

Re tours, we booked a river cruise from the concierge in the lobby who told us we had to be there by 2pm. We got there at 2 only to find that the boat had left at 1:30 lol. We still had all the flyers where he wrote 'be there at 2pm'. Not to be deterred, we just jumped on line down at the dock and booked a cruise on the Natchez that was leaving at 2:30pm. We hadn't paid a deposit so it all worked out.

All in all, we had a really good time in New Orleans, and a big part of that was due to the Astor Crowne. The location can't be beat, the people are friendly, the restaurants are great and I appreciated the security measures in place during Mardi Gras. We were issued ID bands and they were checked relentlessy. I would recommend staying here if you get a good rate but I think there are enough things that take away from its 5-star status to diminish the value of what we paid.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, March 29, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to detail your experience of the Astor. Quibbles no matter how big are small are still quibbles and I apologize for these challenges. All your "quibbles” are valid ones and will be addressed with each department head that oversees these areas. This is good feed back so thank you very much! All in all, it sounds like you enjoyed your Mardi Gras. Our hope is that we will see you again next year if not before. As a closing note, I agree with you regarding Oceania...some of their dishes are sinful, but truly great food! Thanks again for your comments. They will truly be of help in our road to exceed our guests' expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
Tuscaloosa, AL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

I recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza for two nights and had a wonderful trip. The room was clean and spacious, the employees were very professional and overall the stay was wonderful. I had no issues for the time I was there.

The location on Bourbon and Canal made the hotel convenient to everything, but it was very quiet once you got inside the building. We didn't make it to the Bourbon House this time, but have had good seafood there in that past.

I used the gym facilities twice and they were above average for a hotel. Here's a tip, fill up your water bottle with the filtered water in the gym. The water from the tap is not wonderful.

I will definitely consider the Crowne Plaza on my next trip to New Orleans!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, March 24, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Astor. We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel's services and location. Most importantly it sounds like we have a new loyal guest...thank you for your confidence in our team. We look forward to your return visit.
Pensacola, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

I am a frequent stayer of the Crowne Plaza in any state I travel to, and this is the first time I have ever encountered a problem with the hotel. However, it was a big enough problem to ensure I will never stay at the Crowne in New Orleans again.

We arrived at the hotel and decided to lay down before preparing for a big night out on Bourbon.. The three of us staying in the room, all woke up to bites all over our bodies. At first we thought maybe its an allergic reaction to the laundry detergent or something.. but on ALL of us?

The next morning we woke up and the bites were worse... We all had to be treated with a topical ointment, and are dealing with this mess until it subsides.

Crowne Plaza, I'm sorry, but you have lost a customer.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
We are highly suspect of your review. We have no record of any complaint regarding this issue which would be the norm in a case of this severity. Our hotel takes a serious pro-active stance to bed bugs. Every week, every bed is inspected in the entire hotel. Our housekeeping staff has been trained thoroughly on bed bug detection. While it is impossible to prevent them because they are brought in by guests and luggage, but we have systems in place to catch them immediately before causing harm to any of our guests.
Kuwait
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

My wife and I booked this room for our trip to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. We thought we were very lucky to get a room here since we waited longer than we should have....we didn't realize just how lucky till we arrived. The location is FANTASTIC. It's located at the edge of the French Quarter, on Bourbon and Canal Streets, two of the highlights of New Orleans. If you're going for Mardi Gras (next year), many of the parades pass directly in front of the hotel and you can watch the parade from the street level or on the hotel's balcony (on one night the balcony was closed for a private party attended by Melissa Leo and other cast members of the show "Treme").

I was very happy with the check-in process, especially when I noticed they gave us a room in the 12th-floor Quiet Zone as I requested when I reserved the room online (a lot of hotels don't pay much attention to those requests). This is to avoid being kept up all night by the sounds of Bourbon St. The room was very nice. The biggest thing I noticed that was missing was a minibar but there was a vending machine and ice machine down the corridor and staff never stopped us from bringing drinks/food up to the room. Btw, room service food was delicious. The room was spacious and the bed was comfortable.

There was a small problem with housekeeping, but it was resolved by the generous intervention of other housekeeping staff. An annoying thing I noticed, and I saw that another contributor noticed the same, is that you pay $10 for 1 day wifi service but you're only given 23 hours!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

It is located at the entrance of the French Quarter at the Corner of Bourbon and Canal Street. It is close enough to the French Quarter without all the noise. We got a room on the 9th floor so noise wasn't a factor for us. Every night during our stay, there was a group of musicians playing Jazz/Blues music on Bourbon St just a few feet away from its side entrance. They attracted a fairly large crowd. We could barely hear them from our room but could be noisy for those on the lower floors. The hotel did provide ear plugs, lavender linen spray and eye masks to help you to sleep but we didn't have the need to use them. It is also easily accessible to the lines for the cable cars. The stops are directly across on Canal Street. It is close to shops and several fast food restaurants.

We got a room with double queen beds. The room size is adequate. The mattresses were very comfortable. They weren't too hard or too soft. The linens were nice & clean. There were questionable large stains on the bed skirt but I wasn't as concerned since it weren't the linens on the beds. I would be if it had.

As space is a premium based on its location. I thought it was ridiculous that the hotel was charging $31.50/a night for parking so needless to say we didn't use their valet parking service. We found a covered parking garage only a few minutes walk from the hotel for $15/night with a guard on duty and security cameras.

There is a business center with 3 computers and a printer. Free internet in the lobby & business center but there is a charge of $9.95/night in your room.

There is a pool but it was outside and not heated so it was too cold to swim.

Check-in and check-out was quick and easy. The hotel staff was friendly. Overall, it was a great stay. There is a saying in real estate...location, location and location and this hotel has it. A great value for the price we paid !!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

I just returned from a 4 night, 5 day business trip to New Orleans, and stayed at the Astor due to it's close proximity to the conference location. I booked the room through an online site, and believe I paid $99 per night for what was advertised as a "totally renovated, 4 star hotel." Now, for paying $99 per night, which I felt was a reasonably good price, the hotel met the standards of a hotel under $100 a night. The location is fantastic and most people I encountered at the hotel were friendly and helpful. However, the hotel classifies itself as a 4 star, which it is not, and the room rate on the back of my door was listed at approx. $465, which would be extremely inappropriate.

The positive's:
-Location
-Price I paid
-Entire property is non-smoking
-Inclusion of a fitness room at no extra cost
-Proximity to The Bourbon House
-Pool on the roof terrace
-Relatively decent sized rooms
-Prompt, friendly, and tasty room service
-Quick bell-service & friendly bellmen
-Great business center/Location of it was excellent and the 3 computers w/printer also great.

The negative's:
-Upon check in around 9:35 PM, I requested a room high up as I was there for work and needed to get some sleep. The receptionist said no problem. She promptly handed me keys to a room on the 3rd floor. I asked if they didn't have anything higher, so she gave me a room on the 4th floor.
-The room on the 4th floor was F-I-L-T-H-Y. There was sugar or some white substance all over the desk, the floor throughout the room was sticky and immediately turned my feet black, the bathroom was not clean, my alarm clock was broken, the in-room blow dryer was broken, the entire room smelled and felt really musty, and the closet was tiny with no mirror on the door. I wiped down the desk myself, and started unpacking because I figured I just got a bad room because I had booked through an online discount site. I was going to leave a note for the maid the following day, with a gratuity, asking her to please really clean the room. But, the one thing I couldn't deal with is a broken hair dryer as I need one in the morning so, I called down to the front desk to ask for a new one. I called 4 separate times that evening, between 9:45 and 10:30, and no one answered. The phone just rang and rang and rang. Eventually, I gave up and went to bed, figuring I will deal with it first thing.
-Called the front desk the following morning at 5:30 to ask for a new blow dryer. The receptionist said they have none, and would send up maintenance. A 4-star hotel doesn't have extra's? I would have to wait for maintenance to fix what was clearly a fried blow dryer? You could see the burn on the exterior of the device. I waited until 6:20 with no one coming to my room, and called the front desk again. Surprise, no one answered the phone. Called again, and no one answered. Great service. Quite frustrating when you are trying to get ready to leave for the day.
-Went down to the front desk, explained what happened, and that there was a reason I was up at the crack of down in New Orleans. I needed to get on with my business meetings! I then took the opportunity to explain that the room was also really dirty, to which the receptionist responded "You should have called the front desk upon check-in last night." Not a good response considering the numerous attempts I had made to contact the front desk.
-Eventually, she agreed to switch me to a room right next door in order to solve the broken dryer issue, and to get me into a cleaner room. So, at 6:45 AM I had to move all of my belongings to a new room while scurrying to get ready in order to get to my business meetings.

The new room was much, much better. It was clean, didn't smell, all electronics worked, was larger, had a full sized closet with mirror on the door, some additional amenities my first room didn't have, etc. I was really happy with the move. I went down and thanked the receptionist for the accommodation. I most appreciated it!

Still, I didn't get a paper delivered to my door 2 of the 4 nights I was there, didn't receive my check-out bill for my last night (on personal credit card) under the door, my dirty room service plates & tray sat outside my door for 12+hours even after someone who had apparently had one too many hurricanes ran into it and scattered the dishes throughout the hallway, and the maid service forgot to leave coffee in my room one day.

As I said, for paying $99 a night, it is a perfectly fine deal & hotel. I didn't feel like I overpaid and would consider staying here again for work, if I could get the same rate. I used the fitness center every day, spent a couple of hours by the pool one afternoon, loved the location, and felt perfectly safe traveling all alone. Yet, if you are truly looking for a "4 star" hotel, I'm not sure the Astor fits the bill.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

I was very pleased with this Hotel. The accommodations where very nice. The location is the best in the city and everyone working there were nice and friendly.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Thank you...we are pleased that you were pleased! We are always delighted to hear that our guests enjoyed their visit. We agree our location is the best in the city and we look forward to your next visit. Your review will be shared with our entire team and again, thank you for taking the time to write.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!