“Definitely worth a stay, FANTASTIC LOCATION...minor issues” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #104 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Kuwait
“Definitely worth a stay, FANTASTIC LOCATION...minor issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

My wife and I booked this room for our trip to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. We thought we were very lucky to get a room here since we waited longer than we should have....we didn't realize just how lucky till we arrived. The location is FANTASTIC. It's located at the edge of the French Quarter, on Bourbon and Canal Streets, two of the highlights of New Orleans. If you're going for Mardi Gras (next year), many of the parades pass directly in front of the hotel and you can watch the parade from the street level or on the hotel's balcony (on one night the balcony was closed for a private party attended by Melissa Leo and other cast members of the show "Treme").

I was very happy with the check-in process, especially when I noticed they gave us a room in the 12th-floor Quiet Zone as I requested when I reserved the room online (a lot of hotels don't pay much attention to those requests). This is to avoid being kept up all night by the sounds of Bourbon St. The room was very nice. The biggest thing I noticed that was missing was a minibar but there was a vending machine and ice machine down the corridor and staff never stopped us from bringing drinks/food up to the room. Btw, room service food was delicious. The room was spacious and the bed was comfortable.

There was a small problem with housekeeping, but it was resolved by the generous intervention of other housekeeping staff. An annoying thing I noticed, and I saw that another contributor noticed the same, is that you pay $10 for 1 day wifi service but you're only given 23 hours!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

It is located at the entrance of the French Quarter at the Corner of Bourbon and Canal Street. It is close enough to the French Quarter without all the noise. We got a room on the 9th floor so noise wasn't a factor for us. Every night during our stay, there was a group of musicians playing Jazz/Blues music on Bourbon St just a few feet away from its side entrance. They attracted a fairly large crowd. We could barely hear them from our room but could be noisy for those on the lower floors. The hotel did provide ear plugs, lavender linen spray and eye masks to help you to sleep but we didn't have the need to use them. It is also easily accessible to the lines for the cable cars. The stops are directly across on Canal Street. It is close to shops and several fast food restaurants.

We got a room with double queen beds. The room size is adequate. The mattresses were very comfortable. They weren't too hard or too soft. The linens were nice & clean. There were questionable large stains on the bed skirt but I wasn't as concerned since it weren't the linens on the beds. I would be if it had.

As space is a premium based on its location. I thought it was ridiculous that the hotel was charging $31.50/a night for parking so needless to say we didn't use their valet parking service. We found a covered parking garage only a few minutes walk from the hotel for $15/night with a guard on duty and security cameras.

There is a business center with 3 computers and a printer. Free internet in the lobby & business center but there is a charge of $9.95/night in your room.

There is a pool but it was outside and not heated so it was too cold to swim.

Check-in and check-out was quick and easy. The hotel staff was friendly. Overall, it was a great stay. There is a saying in real estate...location, location and location and this hotel has it. A great value for the price we paid !!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

I just returned from a 4 night, 5 day business trip to New Orleans, and stayed at the Astor due to it's close proximity to the conference location. I booked the room through an online site, and believe I paid $99 per night for what was advertised as a "totally renovated, 4 star hotel." Now, for paying $99 per night, which I felt was a reasonably good price, the hotel met the standards of a hotel under $100 a night. The location is fantastic and most people I encountered at the hotel were friendly and helpful. However, the hotel classifies itself as a 4 star, which it is not, and the room rate on the back of my door was listed at approx. $465, which would be extremely inappropriate.

The positive's:
-Location
-Price I paid
-Entire property is non-smoking
-Inclusion of a fitness room at no extra cost
-Proximity to The Bourbon House
-Pool on the roof terrace
-Relatively decent sized rooms
-Prompt, friendly, and tasty room service
-Quick bell-service & friendly bellmen
-Great business center/Location of it was excellent and the 3 computers w/printer also great.

The negative's:
-Upon check in around 9:35 PM, I requested a room high up as I was there for work and needed to get some sleep. The receptionist said no problem. She promptly handed me keys to a room on the 3rd floor. I asked if they didn't have anything higher, so she gave me a room on the 4th floor.
-The room on the 4th floor was F-I-L-T-H-Y. There was sugar or some white substance all over the desk, the floor throughout the room was sticky and immediately turned my feet black, the bathroom was not clean, my alarm clock was broken, the in-room blow dryer was broken, the entire room smelled and felt really musty, and the closet was tiny with no mirror on the door. I wiped down the desk myself, and started unpacking because I figured I just got a bad room because I had booked through an online discount site. I was going to leave a note for the maid the following day, with a gratuity, asking her to please really clean the room. But, the one thing I couldn't deal with is a broken hair dryer as I need one in the morning so, I called down to the front desk to ask for a new one. I called 4 separate times that evening, between 9:45 and 10:30, and no one answered. The phone just rang and rang and rang. Eventually, I gave up and went to bed, figuring I will deal with it first thing.
-Called the front desk the following morning at 5:30 to ask for a new blow dryer. The receptionist said they have none, and would send up maintenance. A 4-star hotel doesn't have extra's? I would have to wait for maintenance to fix what was clearly a fried blow dryer? You could see the burn on the exterior of the device. I waited until 6:20 with no one coming to my room, and called the front desk again. Surprise, no one answered the phone. Called again, and no one answered. Great service. Quite frustrating when you are trying to get ready to leave for the day.
-Went down to the front desk, explained what happened, and that there was a reason I was up at the crack of down in New Orleans. I needed to get on with my business meetings! I then took the opportunity to explain that the room was also really dirty, to which the receptionist responded "You should have called the front desk upon check-in last night." Not a good response considering the numerous attempts I had made to contact the front desk.
-Eventually, she agreed to switch me to a room right next door in order to solve the broken dryer issue, and to get me into a cleaner room. So, at 6:45 AM I had to move all of my belongings to a new room while scurrying to get ready in order to get to my business meetings.

The new room was much, much better. It was clean, didn't smell, all electronics worked, was larger, had a full sized closet with mirror on the door, some additional amenities my first room didn't have, etc. I was really happy with the move. I went down and thanked the receptionist for the accommodation. I most appreciated it!

Still, I didn't get a paper delivered to my door 2 of the 4 nights I was there, didn't receive my check-out bill for my last night (on personal credit card) under the door, my dirty room service plates & tray sat outside my door for 12+hours even after someone who had apparently had one too many hurricanes ran into it and scattered the dishes throughout the hallway, and the maid service forgot to leave coffee in my room one day.

As I said, for paying $99 a night, it is a perfectly fine deal & hotel. I didn't feel like I overpaid and would consider staying here again for work, if I could get the same rate. I used the fitness center every day, spent a couple of hours by the pool one afternoon, loved the location, and felt perfectly safe traveling all alone. Yet, if you are truly looking for a "4 star" hotel, I'm not sure the Astor fits the bill.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

I was very pleased with this Hotel. The accommodations where very nice. The location is the best in the city and everyone working there were nice and friendly.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Thank you...we are pleased that you were pleased! We are always delighted to hear that our guests enjoyed their visit. We agree our location is the best in the city and we look forward to your next visit. Your review will be shared with our entire team and again, thank you for taking the time to write.
Milton Keynes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

Stayed for one night - Lundi Gras at this fab hotel. I was so excited when we checked in and were told we woud have access to the Balconies for the parades! Went with my partner and 2 friends that live on the Northshore - we all loved the hotel just sorry that we hadn't booked for 2 nights. The hotel has the perfect location for Mardi Gras party goers, on the corner of Canal/Bourbon Street - superb view and great spot for the throws. My friends got talking to the hotel Manager 'Peter' who then arranged for some throws and T-Shirts to be left in our rooms - thank you so much, it made the stay even more worthwhile and was very much appreciated. The room was very spacious and well equipped for all our needs and the beds and pillows were so comfy..........just a shame we couldn't have stayed longer, would definitely return to this hotel!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, March 21, 2011
WOW, what a great review! Thank you...we do have a great location when it comes to Mardi Gras or in fact...anytime of the year! You made mention of our General Manager, Peter Ambros, he is our leader and as you can see enjoys his job and his guests. I was delighted to learn that Mr Ambros was able to make you guys feel special. We all strive to follow his good example. We hope to see you for Mardi Gras 2012 but hopefully before then. Again, thank you for the wonderful review!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

We could have not asked for a better stay than the Astor. The front desk staff was very friendly and provided a warm welcome. The rooms were very clean except the area behind the television. Water pressure was ok but needs improvement. Thanks everyone at the hotel for making our spring break vacation special.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for the nice review. Please know we appreciate you taking the time to pen your thoughts on our hotel. I will share your thoughts with our Executive Housekeeper as well as our Director of Engineering. We hope to see you back as our guest in the near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for Mardi Gras 2011. If I had only one word to descibe this hotel it would be location. Right on the corner of Bourbon and Canal we couldn't have asked for better! Check in was quick and easy. We were pleasantly surprised to be offered a twin queen room although we had only booked a Std double. Furthermore our request for a room on a high floor was granted without hesitation. When we got to our room we were stunned at the size of the room. It was huge and adequately equipped. I see that some reviews have mentioned the fact that there are no flat screen tv's. I have only one comment on this....who comes to NOLA to watch tv? The hotel was perfect for watching the parades with access to the second floor balcony for some serious bead catching:) in terms of service and housekeeping the staff could not be faulted. All were pleasant, friendly and only to
happy to help us during our seven night stay. We felt very safe during the carnival madness as security at the hotel was very tight with only guests with wristbands being allowed access to the hotel. If I had to make one negative comment it would have to be on the absence of a free wireless. The cost being 9.95 a day. Other than that I would definitely stay here again. In fact I doubt we would choose anywhere else. Thanks to all staff at the Astor for a wondeful stay. Let the good times roll.

• Stayed March 2011
It sounds like you did let the good times roll...good for you!! Thank you for the wonderful review. We were delighted to hear that our guest accomodations exceeded your expectations...they are quite spacious. As far as the TV...we have replaced 60% of the hotel with flat screens and the balance will be completed by mid April. We can't wait for this finishing touch to our recent renovations. I am glad to read that you appreciated the wrist band system that we have for security purposes during Mardi Gras...it really helps to keep our guests safe during that crazy time. Thank you again for the great review...please know our home is your home when ever New Orleans is next on your agenda.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!