“What a great location !!!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #98 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Dallas
“What a great location !!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

It is located at the entrance of the French Quarter at the Corner of Bourbon and Canal Street. It is close enough to the French Quarter without all the noise. We got a room on the 9th floor so noise wasn't a factor for us. Every night during our stay, there was a group of musicians playing Jazz/Blues music on Bourbon St just a few feet away from its side entrance. They attracted a fairly large crowd. We could barely hear them from our room but could be noisy for those on the lower floors. The hotel did provide ear plugs, lavender linen spray and eye masks to help you to sleep but we didn't have the need to use them. It is also easily accessible to the lines for the cable cars. The stops are directly across on Canal Street. It is close to shops and several fast food restaurants.

We got a room with double queen beds. The room size is adequate. The mattresses were very comfortable. They weren't too hard or too soft. The linens were nice & clean. There were questionable large stains on the bed skirt but I wasn't as concerned since it weren't the linens on the beds. I would be if it had.

As space is a premium based on its location. I thought it was ridiculous that the hotel was charging $31.50/a night for parking so needless to say we didn't use their valet parking service. We found a covered parking garage only a few minutes walk from the hotel for $15/night with a guard on duty and security cameras.

There is a business center with 3 computers and a printer. Free internet in the lobby & business center but there is a charge of $9.95/night in your room.

There is a pool but it was outside and not heated so it was too cold to swim.

Check-in and check-out was quick and easy. The hotel staff was friendly. Overall, it was a great stay. There is a saying in real estate...location, location and location and this hotel has it. A great value for the price we paid !!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

I just returned from a 4 night, 5 day business trip to New Orleans, and stayed at the Astor due to it's close proximity to the conference location. I booked the room through an online site, and believe I paid $99 per night for what was advertised as a "totally renovated, 4 star hotel." Now, for paying $99 per night, which I felt was a reasonably good price, the hotel met the standards of a hotel under $100 a night. The location is fantastic and most people I encountered at the hotel were friendly and helpful. However, the hotel classifies itself as a 4 star, which it is not, and the room rate on the back of my door was listed at approx. $465, which would be extremely inappropriate.

The positive's:
-Location
-Price I paid
-Entire property is non-smoking
-Inclusion of a fitness room at no extra cost
-Proximity to The Bourbon House
-Pool on the roof terrace
-Relatively decent sized rooms
-Prompt, friendly, and tasty room service
-Quick bell-service & friendly bellmen
-Great business center/Location of it was excellent and the 3 computers w/printer also great.

The negative's:
-Upon check in around 9:35 PM, I requested a room high up as I was there for work and needed to get some sleep. The receptionist said no problem. She promptly handed me keys to a room on the 3rd floor. I asked if they didn't have anything higher, so she gave me a room on the 4th floor.
-The room on the 4th floor was F-I-L-T-H-Y. There was sugar or some white substance all over the desk, the floor throughout the room was sticky and immediately turned my feet black, the bathroom was not clean, my alarm clock was broken, the in-room blow dryer was broken, the entire room smelled and felt really musty, and the closet was tiny with no mirror on the door. I wiped down the desk myself, and started unpacking because I figured I just got a bad room because I had booked through an online discount site. I was going to leave a note for the maid the following day, with a gratuity, asking her to please really clean the room. But, the one thing I couldn't deal with is a broken hair dryer as I need one in the morning so, I called down to the front desk to ask for a new one. I called 4 separate times that evening, between 9:45 and 10:30, and no one answered. The phone just rang and rang and rang. Eventually, I gave up and went to bed, figuring I will deal with it first thing.
-Called the front desk the following morning at 5:30 to ask for a new blow dryer. The receptionist said they have none, and would send up maintenance. A 4-star hotel doesn't have extra's? I would have to wait for maintenance to fix what was clearly a fried blow dryer? You could see the burn on the exterior of the device. I waited until 6:20 with no one coming to my room, and called the front desk again. Surprise, no one answered the phone. Called again, and no one answered. Great service. Quite frustrating when you are trying to get ready to leave for the day.
-Went down to the front desk, explained what happened, and that there was a reason I was up at the crack of down in New Orleans. I needed to get on with my business meetings! I then took the opportunity to explain that the room was also really dirty, to which the receptionist responded "You should have called the front desk upon check-in last night." Not a good response considering the numerous attempts I had made to contact the front desk.
-Eventually, she agreed to switch me to a room right next door in order to solve the broken dryer issue, and to get me into a cleaner room. So, at 6:45 AM I had to move all of my belongings to a new room while scurrying to get ready in order to get to my business meetings.

The new room was much, much better. It was clean, didn't smell, all electronics worked, was larger, had a full sized closet with mirror on the door, some additional amenities my first room didn't have, etc. I was really happy with the move. I went down and thanked the receptionist for the accommodation. I most appreciated it!

Still, I didn't get a paper delivered to my door 2 of the 4 nights I was there, didn't receive my check-out bill for my last night (on personal credit card) under the door, my dirty room service plates & tray sat outside my door for 12+hours even after someone who had apparently had one too many hurricanes ran into it and scattered the dishes throughout the hallway, and the maid service forgot to leave coffee in my room one day.

As I said, for paying $99 a night, it is a perfectly fine deal & hotel. I didn't feel like I overpaid and would consider staying here again for work, if I could get the same rate. I used the fitness center every day, spent a couple of hours by the pool one afternoon, loved the location, and felt perfectly safe traveling all alone. Yet, if you are truly looking for a "4 star" hotel, I'm not sure the Astor fits the bill.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

I was very pleased with this Hotel. The accommodations where very nice. The location is the best in the city and everyone working there were nice and friendly.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Thank you...we are pleased that you were pleased! We are always delighted to hear that our guests enjoyed their visit. We agree our location is the best in the city and we look forward to your next visit. Your review will be shared with our entire team and again, thank you for taking the time to write.
Milton Keynes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

Stayed for one night - Lundi Gras at this fab hotel. I was so excited when we checked in and were told we woud have access to the Balconies for the parades! Went with my partner and 2 friends that live on the Northshore - we all loved the hotel just sorry that we hadn't booked for 2 nights. The hotel has the perfect location for Mardi Gras party goers, on the corner of Canal/Bourbon Street - superb view and great spot for the throws. My friends got talking to the hotel Manager 'Peter' who then arranged for some throws and T-Shirts to be left in our rooms - thank you so much, it made the stay even more worthwhile and was very much appreciated. The room was very spacious and well equipped for all our needs and the beds and pillows were so comfy..........just a shame we couldn't have stayed longer, would definitely return to this hotel!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, March 21, 2011
WOW, what a great review! Thank you...we do have a great location when it comes to Mardi Gras or in fact...anytime of the year! You made mention of our General Manager, Peter Ambros, he is our leader and as you can see enjoys his job and his guests. I was delighted to learn that Mr Ambros was able to make you guys feel special. We all strive to follow his good example. We hope to see you for Mardi Gras 2012 but hopefully before then. Again, thank you for the wonderful review!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

We could have not asked for a better stay than the Astor. The front desk staff was very friendly and provided a warm welcome. The rooms were very clean except the area behind the television. Water pressure was ok but needs improvement. Thanks everyone at the hotel for making our spring break vacation special.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for the nice review. Please know we appreciate you taking the time to pen your thoughts on our hotel. I will share your thoughts with our Executive Housekeeper as well as our Director of Engineering. We hope to see you back as our guest in the near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for Mardi Gras 2011. If I had only one word to descibe this hotel it would be location. Right on the corner of Bourbon and Canal we couldn't have asked for better! Check in was quick and easy. We were pleasantly surprised to be offered a twin queen room although we had only booked a Std double. Furthermore our request for a room on a high floor was granted without hesitation. When we got to our room we were stunned at the size of the room. It was huge and adequately equipped. I see that some reviews have mentioned the fact that there are no flat screen tv's. I have only one comment on this....who comes to NOLA to watch tv? The hotel was perfect for watching the parades with access to the second floor balcony for some serious bead catching:) in terms of service and housekeeping the staff could not be faulted. All were pleasant, friendly and only to
happy to help us during our seven night stay. We felt very safe during the carnival madness as security at the hotel was very tight with only guests with wristbands being allowed access to the hotel. If I had to make one negative comment it would have to be on the absence of a free wireless. The cost being 9.95 a day. Other than that I would definitely stay here again. In fact I doubt we would choose anywhere else. Thanks to all staff at the Astor for a wondeful stay. Let the good times roll.

• Stayed March 2011
It sounds like you did let the good times roll...good for you!! Thank you for the wonderful review. We were delighted to hear that our guest accomodations exceeded your expectations...they are quite spacious. As far as the TV...we have replaced 60% of the hotel with flat screens and the balance will be completed by mid April. We can't wait for this finishing touch to our recent renovations. I am glad to read that you appreciated the wrist band system that we have for security purposes during Mardi Gras...it really helps to keep our guests safe during that crazy time. Thank you again for the great review...please know our home is your home when ever New Orleans is next on your agenda.
Austin, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

I will never stay at this hotel again. The location of it is great if you want to be right by Bourbon Street. And although it's an old hotel, it has been renovated and is in pretty good shape inside. The thing that will never take me back to the hotel though is the valet service. YES, it's really that bad!! There's no parking anywhere around the hotel so you have no choice but to valet park. I knew that going in, but figured the hotel would have adequate staff to handle everyone.

When we arrived on Friday night we had to wait for at least half an hour before we could even get close to the front of the hotel. This gave us the chance to watch all of the drunk people stumbling from Bourbon Street, which would be a common sight day and night in front of the hotel. Finally "Big John" came to my window and helped us unload our luggage onto a cart. Big John was wonderful. We got inside, check-in was quick, and we were off to our room. The room was nice for an older hotel. Not much drawer space or table top space though. We didn't have any problems with noise, but our room was on the inside of the hotel. I heard that the rooms on lower floors that faced the outside of the hotel could be noisy (Bourbon Street noise).

I was told that I could call down to the valet stand and they would get my car in about 10-15 minutes. So the next morning I tried to call down to the valet stand to request my car be brought up. I got a recording that said due to valet being so busy, I'd have to go downstairs and request my car. So off we went and in about 20 minutes my car arrived. This was a good day for valet service, let me tell you, because it was never this good again. Only down side was that one of the guys left his empty Powerade bottle in my car. Nice...I have to clean up their trash in my car now.

Everytime we returned to the hotel, traffic was backed up out front. There is really no place for the cars to go and Crowne doesn't have enough staff to handle the volume of cars that come in and out of the hotel. So we had to sit and wait, and wait, and wait, each time. And the valet guys don't come to you, you have to jump out of your car and try to stop one of them.

So Sunday morning, I try again to call downstairs to request the car. I get the recorded message that I have to go downstairs. I get downstairs and am told that because it's a heavy checkout day, I have to wait for a shuttle that will take me to the off-site parking area where I can pick up my car. Seriously?? I'm paying you $31.50 a day for valet and I have to go get my own car? They said the shuttle would run every 7 minutes. It pulled up, I got on, we went to the offsite garage, and I had to wait there for one of the guys to go get my car. After I got my car I had to go back to the hotel and pick up the rest of our party. This actually worked pretty well however if I had been checking out and had luggage it wouldn't have been favorable.

Monday morning - again, not able to call down and get the car. So we go downstairs. We needed to leave timely to get to a tour location, so I gave us 30 minutes. 45 minutes later I finally see our car coming. By this time, total frustration with these guys has set in and I was really having to hold my tongue. After all, I still had one more day of them taking care of my car! I get in the car, the seat has been completely readjusted and the radio has been turned completely off. I had turned the volume down when I got out the day before, but when I turn on the radio the station has been changed, and the volume cranked up. Gee...just make yourselves at home!

Tuesday morning, it's finally time to leave. We went to breakfast and on our way back stopped at the valet stand to give them the ticket. We still had to go up and get our luggage, so I figured this would give them ample time to get my car pulled up. We load up the luggage, come back downstairs, and we wait. And we wait. And we wait!!! Finally after 45 minutes, "Ro" says he'll check and see what the hold up is. I followed him to the valet stand because I wanted to hear what was going on. The guys at the offsite garage never heard Ro when he requested my car. Ro tells them to make my car the next one that comes down. Almost another half hour goes by before my car finally arrives. One hour and 10 minutes after I requested it!!! And again, the radio station has been changed, seat completely readjusted. I can see needing to move the seat some, but changing the radio station and cranking it up? I'm sorry. This isn't your personal vehicle.

So I basically have no big complaints about this hotel except for the valet service. But the valet service was so bad, that I would never stay here again. We were with a large group of people and we all experienced the same problems with valet. Complaints were made to management, but nothing ever got better. I understand that due to the location of the hotel and the volume of people coming in and out, it's not an ideal situation for these guys trying to work valet. But the number of staff seemed to be inadequate. Big John and Ro seemed to be the only 2 that even acted like they cared. The other valet staff just had an attitude...probably from getting chewed out so much and from working in such a bad situation. But for $31.50 a day, I expect WAY better service than what we received.

Also, the hotel doesn't offer free internet service. $9.95 a day, and it's not even a full 24 hours. They only give you 23 hours. For the price of this hotel, you'd think they could offer free internet service.

• Stayed March 2011
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, March 17, 2011
First, thank you for the detailed review. Because you have taken the time to detail your experience, I will respond in detailed matter as well. Please know the below is not an excuse but is provided to assist you in understanding the challenge that we have in peak valet times.

It sounds like you enjoyed the hotel but our valet team obviously let you down. Valet parking is truly a challenge for our team when we have an extremely heavy drive-in weekend, which did occur this past weekend. Please know this is not a matter that we take lightly due to the important impact that it has on our guests as a first and last impression of our hotel. Please know it is not a staffing issue, if this was the case it would be an easy fix. Our location while great has its disadvantage when it comes to our valet service. The congestion of both Canal St and Bourbon St can make it difficult getting cars to/from the hotel in a timely fashion and coupled with arrivals or departures of 200 to 300 cars all arriving and departing within a 3 hour time frame unfortunately causes serious delays in service. The shuttle has been one method that we use introduced to improve efficiency. While this helps tremendously, as you noted in review however it is not favorable to you our guest. The Astor is quite a large hotel and our competitors of equal or greater size have valet delays just as long as ours. In closing please know adding staff does not solve the issue of the congestion...we have tried this. The challenge is truly logistical and we are continuing to perfect the system
Again, thank you for your time. It is unfortunate and truly a disappointment to know that your experience with the hotel was tainted by the valet service. We hope you will reconsider the Astor on your next visit. I am confident that you will see improvement in this challenging area for the Astor.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!