“Awesome Location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #103 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Milton Keynes
“Awesome Location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

Stayed for one night - Lundi Gras at this fab hotel. I was so excited when we checked in and were told we woud have access to the Balconies for the parades! Went with my partner and 2 friends that live on the Northshore - we all loved the hotel just sorry that we hadn't booked for 2 nights. The hotel has the perfect location for Mardi Gras party goers, on the corner of Canal/Bourbon Street - superb view and great spot for the throws. My friends got talking to the hotel Manager 'Peter' who then arranged for some throws and T-Shirts to be left in our rooms - thank you so much, it made the stay even more worthwhile and was very much appreciated. The room was very spacious and well equipped for all our needs and the beds and pillows were so comfy..........just a shame we couldn't have stayed longer, would definitely return to this hotel!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, March 21, 2011
WOW, what a great review! Thank you...we do have a great location when it comes to Mardi Gras or in fact...anytime of the year! You made mention of our General Manager, Peter Ambros, he is our leader and as you can see enjoys his job and his guests. I was delighted to learn that Mr Ambros was able to make you guys feel special. We all strive to follow his good example. We hope to see you for Mardi Gras 2012 but hopefully before then. Again, thank you for the wonderful review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

We could have not asked for a better stay than the Astor. The front desk staff was very friendly and provided a warm welcome. The rooms were very clean except the area behind the television. Water pressure was ok but needs improvement. Thanks everyone at the hotel for making our spring break vacation special.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for the nice review. Please know we appreciate you taking the time to pen your thoughts on our hotel. I will share your thoughts with our Executive Housekeeper as well as our Director of Engineering. We hope to see you back as our guest in the near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for Mardi Gras 2011. If I had only one word to descibe this hotel it would be location. Right on the corner of Bourbon and Canal we couldn't have asked for better! Check in was quick and easy. We were pleasantly surprised to be offered a twin queen room although we had only booked a Std double. Furthermore our request for a room on a high floor was granted without hesitation. When we got to our room we were stunned at the size of the room. It was huge and adequately equipped. I see that some reviews have mentioned the fact that there are no flat screen tv's. I have only one comment on this....who comes to NOLA to watch tv? The hotel was perfect for watching the parades with access to the second floor balcony for some serious bead catching:) in terms of service and housekeeping the staff could not be faulted. All were pleasant, friendly and only to
happy to help us during our seven night stay. We felt very safe during the carnival madness as security at the hotel was very tight with only guests with wristbands being allowed access to the hotel. If I had to make one negative comment it would have to be on the absence of a free wireless. The cost being 9.95 a day. Other than that I would definitely stay here again. In fact I doubt we would choose anywhere else. Thanks to all staff at the Astor for a wondeful stay. Let the good times roll.

• Stayed March 2011
It sounds like you did let the good times roll...good for you!! Thank you for the wonderful review. We were delighted to hear that our guest accomodations exceeded your expectations...they are quite spacious. As far as the TV...we have replaced 60% of the hotel with flat screens and the balance will be completed by mid April. We can't wait for this finishing touch to our recent renovations. I am glad to read that you appreciated the wrist band system that we have for security purposes during Mardi Gras...it really helps to keep our guests safe during that crazy time. Thank you again for the great review...please know our home is your home when ever New Orleans is next on your agenda.
Austin, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

I will never stay at this hotel again. The location of it is great if you want to be right by Bourbon Street. And although it's an old hotel, it has been renovated and is in pretty good shape inside. The thing that will never take me back to the hotel though is the valet service. YES, it's really that bad!! There's no parking anywhere around the hotel so you have no choice but to valet park. I knew that going in, but figured the hotel would have adequate staff to handle everyone.

When we arrived on Friday night we had to wait for at least half an hour before we could even get close to the front of the hotel. This gave us the chance to watch all of the drunk people stumbling from Bourbon Street, which would be a common sight day and night in front of the hotel. Finally "Big John" came to my window and helped us unload our luggage onto a cart. Big John was wonderful. We got inside, check-in was quick, and we were off to our room. The room was nice for an older hotel. Not much drawer space or table top space though. We didn't have any problems with noise, but our room was on the inside of the hotel. I heard that the rooms on lower floors that faced the outside of the hotel could be noisy (Bourbon Street noise).

I was told that I could call down to the valet stand and they would get my car in about 10-15 minutes. So the next morning I tried to call down to the valet stand to request my car be brought up. I got a recording that said due to valet being so busy, I'd have to go downstairs and request my car. So off we went and in about 20 minutes my car arrived. This was a good day for valet service, let me tell you, because it was never this good again. Only down side was that one of the guys left his empty Powerade bottle in my car. Nice...I have to clean up their trash in my car now.

Everytime we returned to the hotel, traffic was backed up out front. There is really no place for the cars to go and Crowne doesn't have enough staff to handle the volume of cars that come in and out of the hotel. So we had to sit and wait, and wait, and wait, each time. And the valet guys don't come to you, you have to jump out of your car and try to stop one of them.

So Sunday morning, I try again to call downstairs to request the car. I get the recorded message that I have to go downstairs. I get downstairs and am told that because it's a heavy checkout day, I have to wait for a shuttle that will take me to the off-site parking area where I can pick up my car. Seriously?? I'm paying you $31.50 a day for valet and I have to go get my own car? They said the shuttle would run every 7 minutes. It pulled up, I got on, we went to the offsite garage, and I had to wait there for one of the guys to go get my car. After I got my car I had to go back to the hotel and pick up the rest of our party. This actually worked pretty well however if I had been checking out and had luggage it wouldn't have been favorable.

Monday morning - again, not able to call down and get the car. So we go downstairs. We needed to leave timely to get to a tour location, so I gave us 30 minutes. 45 minutes later I finally see our car coming. By this time, total frustration with these guys has set in and I was really having to hold my tongue. After all, I still had one more day of them taking care of my car! I get in the car, the seat has been completely readjusted and the radio has been turned completely off. I had turned the volume down when I got out the day before, but when I turn on the radio the station has been changed, and the volume cranked up. Gee...just make yourselves at home!

Tuesday morning, it's finally time to leave. We went to breakfast and on our way back stopped at the valet stand to give them the ticket. We still had to go up and get our luggage, so I figured this would give them ample time to get my car pulled up. We load up the luggage, come back downstairs, and we wait. And we wait. And we wait!!! Finally after 45 minutes, "Ro" says he'll check and see what the hold up is. I followed him to the valet stand because I wanted to hear what was going on. The guys at the offsite garage never heard Ro when he requested my car. Ro tells them to make my car the next one that comes down. Almost another half hour goes by before my car finally arrives. One hour and 10 minutes after I requested it!!! And again, the radio station has been changed, seat completely readjusted. I can see needing to move the seat some, but changing the radio station and cranking it up? I'm sorry. This isn't your personal vehicle.

So I basically have no big complaints about this hotel except for the valet service. But the valet service was so bad, that I would never stay here again. We were with a large group of people and we all experienced the same problems with valet. Complaints were made to management, but nothing ever got better. I understand that due to the location of the hotel and the volume of people coming in and out, it's not an ideal situation for these guys trying to work valet. But the number of staff seemed to be inadequate. Big John and Ro seemed to be the only 2 that even acted like they cared. The other valet staff just had an attitude...probably from getting chewed out so much and from working in such a bad situation. But for $31.50 a day, I expect WAY better service than what we received.

Also, the hotel doesn't offer free internet service. $9.95 a day, and it's not even a full 24 hours. They only give you 23 hours. For the price of this hotel, you'd think they could offer free internet service.

• Stayed March 2011
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, March 17, 2011
First, thank you for the detailed review. Because you have taken the time to detail your experience, I will respond in detailed matter as well. Please know the below is not an excuse but is provided to assist you in understanding the challenge that we have in peak valet times.

It sounds like you enjoyed the hotel but our valet team obviously let you down. Valet parking is truly a challenge for our team when we have an extremely heavy drive-in weekend, which did occur this past weekend. Please know this is not a matter that we take lightly due to the important impact that it has on our guests as a first and last impression of our hotel. Please know it is not a staffing issue, if this was the case it would be an easy fix. Our location while great has its disadvantage when it comes to our valet service. The congestion of both Canal St and Bourbon St can make it difficult getting cars to/from the hotel in a timely fashion and coupled with arrivals or departures of 200 to 300 cars all arriving and departing within a 3 hour time frame unfortunately causes serious delays in service. The shuttle has been one method that we use introduced to improve efficiency. While this helps tremendously, as you noted in review however it is not favorable to you our guest. The Astor is quite a large hotel and our competitors of equal or greater size have valet delays just as long as ours. In closing please know adding staff does not solve the issue of the congestion...we have tried this. The challenge is truly logistical and we are continuing to perfect the system
Again, thank you for your time. It is unfortunate and truly a disappointment to know that your experience with the hotel was tainted by the valet service. We hope you will reconsider the Astor on your next visit. I am confident that you will see improvement in this challenging area for the Astor.
Tolland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

My husband and I spent Mardi Gras week at the Crowne Plaza.
Even though the city was in the whirlwind of Mardi Gras once inside our hotel all of the
feverish activity flowing around us seemed to stop and we experienced calm and courtesy from the staff.
Our room was freshened every day with plush towels and crisp white sheets.
We never had to ask for a thing as all of our needs were anticipated.
Oh, great location too.
We will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Astordz, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans, responded to this review, April 7, 2011
I love the title that you used for your review! That is a phrase I use quite often when describing our team. I always knew that our team displayed true genuine hospitality...so it is especially nice to hear it from one of our guests. We hope you enjoyed Mardi Gras and pleased to hear you found the Astor a quiet escape from the kaos outside our doors. I was especially pleased to learned that our team met your expectations and that you enjoyed our superb location. We look forward to your return next Mardi..if not before...and thank you for the nice review!
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

My friends and I had the most enjoyable experience this Mardi Gras. Our stay at the Astor was awesome. The location is perfect. Located on Bourbon & Canal. You can easily access all the bars, restaurants and the perfect place to catch the parades. The staff and cleanliness at the hotel were all spot on. They think of everything, so you don't have to.
From now on, when I travel to NOLA, I'm staying at the Astor.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
We think you are awesome! Thanks for the fantastic review. We are glad you enjoyed our location...it truly is the best that New Orleans has to offer. Our team will be delighted to hear that the Astor will be your home away from home when your travels bring you back to New Orleans. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

Stayed here a few times over the years. The location is great from things on Canal ( few blocks from Casino). And out the side door your on Bourbon Street. Always are impressed with the service and cleanliness. But being their this year during Mardi Gras makes you appreciate the hotel, friendly staff and all it offers. From quick check in to great room service. From my visits to New Orleans it's the best place I've found

• Stayed March 2011
We love repeat guests! Thank you for the perfect review. We were delighted to hear that our team met your expectations once again. Mardi Gras is a unique time for the staff and I was pleased to learn that our team's hospitality was there to make your stay yet again an enjoyable experience. We look forward to your return to the Astor on your next trip to the Big Easy!

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!