“It was ok.....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #105 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
NC
“It was ok.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2007

ok...so i was skeptical about booking this hotel because the reviews of it were either were saying it was spectacular or horrible....our experience overall....was pretty good......the hotel was nice....not nasty or horrible like previous reviews.....for an older hotel....it is kept up well....the employees were oh so friendly....everyone smiled and greeted us....we tipped everyone from valet to the front desk to bell persons to housekeeping because they did in fact deserve it.....we checked in 6hrs earlier than the designated time and they had both of our rooms available....we booked our rooms through bookit.com's mystery hotel....it was a great deal.....the main problem i encountered was valet....they do not have a lot on site....so you had to wait a while to get your car....the first day we were able to call and have our car ready....but over the weekend, it was a good 15-30min wait for the car....which was a bit of a drag with a big group.....it was $25/day for valet plus tip which was pretty steep, but its right smack dab in the middle of the french quarter.....so that's a given.....So the whole experience was great....but one problem that makes it final for me to never stay here again....there was a rat in our room the last night....we saw it running around...and flipped out....who knows how long it had been there....we called front desk...and they offered us to change rooms....but then we saw the rodent run out....so we just decided to stay...but that pretty much ruined the last night there....i spoke to the front desk when i checked out...they said because i did not book directly with the hotel....they could not reimburse my money in any way....and my valet bill still had to be paid in full because apparently it's a seperate company from the hotel.....so they gave me guest relations' number....i spoke with her....she said she'll comp me for one night's stay if i use that within the next year...why would i stay in a hotel i know can't take care of a rodent problem......so i said no....so she said let her check what other options there are and she'll return my call.....almost 2 weeks later....she never called me...i called and spoke with the manager on duty....and he had her call me back...i was busy at work so her message said that she had been in meetings and it slipped her mind about the situation.....and she apologized....so now....she left another message...saying she'll credit me back my valet bill which was $111 for 4 nights for the room with rat......which is fine i guess....it just sucks that the experience had to end this way......but the employees were outstanding!! its just such a shame that such a nice hotel had a rodent problem.....

• Liked — the service of all the employees i came across
  • Disliked — the mouse in the room...and guest relations not returning my call....
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

Just got back from a 5 night stay with my boyfriend at this hotel - 9/28/07 - 10/3/07. We took a chance and booked the "mystery hotel" deal through bookit.com. When I found out what hotel we were going to be staying at, I immediately started reading through all of the reviews I could find. Some of them scared me, and I was tempted to change our reservations - I'm so glad I didn't - this hotel was fantastic! We requested a non-smoking room on an upper floor, and got a room facing Canal St. on the 9th floor. We arrived early and checked in early with no problems. It was quiet, clean, and the bed was sooo comfortable. The water pressure was good, too, something I always appreciate. The staff was friendly and helpful. The location can't be beat - this hotel is at the corner of Canal and Bourbon - walking distance to everything in the quarter. I would imagine that the rooms facing Bourbon would be louder, so I'd request a room facing Canal, or one on an upper floor if you want quiet. We loved it!

• Liked — quiet, comfortable room
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alvin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

We loved our stay at the Astor Crowne Plaza French Quarter!!! Everything about our stay was fantastic. We went during Mardi gra and had a blast. There was four of us and we all agreed that the location, people and cleanliness of the Astor Crowne Plaza was awesome. The manager himself carried our bags up to our room for us. I only have one complaint....... The balcony was off limits cause it was mardigra.... BUT even so had a wonderful time and would recommend this hotel to any and everyone..
Ronnie ....... Alvin TX

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Wouldnt let anyone on the balcony during mardigra.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

I have stayed at the Astor twice and have absolutely no idea what people mean when they talk about a bad experience.
Everyone, from the front desk, the bartenders, the housekeeping staff, the bell men, etc...were all fabulous. The hotel is beautiful, safe and centrally located. The rooms are clean, the beds comfortable. Although I have not had the Milk Punch, I did spend some time in the bar and found it to be alot of fun. The folks hanging out in there were a blast. The food at Bourbon House is a bit on the pricey side, but what do you expect of a Brennan's restaurant? I found the food and service to be amazing. As for the ones that wrote about the noise and the "dirty, smelly streets", you should have picked a place other than New Orleans to visit. I am heading there again this weekend and have a reservation at the Astor...I'm sure I will not be disappointed :)

• Liked — Location and value
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
the_admiral_MB
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

This was my worst hotel stay ever. Hotwire should be embarrassed go carry this hotel. When I arrive the valet man start yelling at us. The we went inside and the manager didn't really care. He was to busy flirting with the female guests. We final got checked in and they put us in a room between the ice machine and the elevator so it was noisy all the time. The every morning at 8:00 AM housekeeping would knock. There were no "Do Not Disturb" signs. Then after telling htem to come back later. They would be back in 15 minutes. We final wrote a note on the door but they did not speak english to read it. Then one night we returned about 1:30 AM to crash and our neighbor left on his music really loud. We called downstairs and they replied "Sorry". We finally got someone to come turn it off about 2:30 AM. Then on checkout, there was yet another mess. Needless to say, I will not return. I explained how bad everything was when I left, they replied you will have to talk to hotwire.

Stayed September 2007
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2007

My wife and i stayed at the Astor Crowne Plaza in August 2007 for 2 nights. The hotel is clean, the rooms were comfortable. But make sure to ask for a high floor if you don't like the noise. This hotel is in the French Quarter not far from Bourbon Str and you can definitely hear the music and noise. We heard music up until 3 or 4am both nights of our stay, but it really didn't keep us from sleeping.
We ate at Cafe Dumonde (don't think i'm spelling it correctly, but ask anyone and they'll know what your talking about), mostly for it's historic aspects. They serve the well-known beignets. Also, you must eat at Landry's. Yes, i know it's a chain restaurant that you can find in a lot of different states, but something about the one in the French Quarter just tastes better.
Also, there is no on-site hotel parking. You have to leave your car with the valet and the price to have it valet'd is $27 per day plus tax and tips!!!! Yes, this was a big surprise to us. We were told that other hotels in the French Quarter charge roughly the same price. We thought a better idea would have been to park at one of the all night parking lots in the French Quarter for $10 to save $$$$. The difference is with the hotel, you have "in/out" privileges and it's the same price, whereas, if you park you car at one of the lots, once you leave, you have to pay again to re-enter!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Scranton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

Travelled with a small group and our rooms were lovely and comfortable and clean.

Location of hotel is the best selling point. Lowest point? Check-in and valet service was extremely slow - it took at least a half hour in both cases.

Setup of the hotel because it is multiple historic buildings melded together is a little strange - up and down steps plus narrow hallways to get to your room on the same floor. Plus the elevators are a little confusing - we were never quite sure where we would end up in the lobby/property.

Would definitely recommend - we had no problems within the hotel/rooms whatsoever.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Valet
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!