“Returned to Le Rich for 3rd time this year!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Richelieu in the French Quarter

You added Le Richelieu in the French Quarter to your Saves list
Le Richelieu in the French Quarter
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1234 Chartres St., New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)   |
Ranked #40 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hamilton
“Returned to Le Rich for 3rd time this year!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I'm 50 look 40 an act 30. I like great music amazing food and have ADD when it comes to being bored.
In short New Orelans is my favourite place on the planet and this hotel has everything I need. The staff are amazing especially Arianne Becca and Diane. The house staff are funny and friendly and the wait staff can;t be more helpful.

But it's the location that is make it for me. Let the frat boys have Bourbon Street-its only interesting for the first half hour and the real New Orleans is waiting to be discovered and (here's the cool part) it;s all around this hotel. Frenchman is two blocks away The Market is two blocks away and an amazing variety store called Vert Mart with the best sandwhich possible (all that jazz) is two blocks away too. Great places to eat are all within walking distance.

This hotel for me is is New Orleans charming and quirky in the best way. The rooms are clean and if you are fortunate to get a balcony sitting out at the end of the night or first thin in the morning makes you feel like a local-which is the best part of any trip.

It's romantic and it's also great for people sharing a room. I came twice with my girl and Nov 30 -Dec 3 with my pal and the rooms worked each time The courtyard and pool are hidden gems.

If you are lucky enough to stay here tell them bob sent you-you will not be disappointed.
Ignore all reviews that are not glowing. You probably wouldn't like to hang out with them any way!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My daughter and I spent two nights at Le Richelieu two weeks ago. We loved it!

This hotel is perfectly located for our needs. It is right next to the French Market, and a short walk to just about anywhere in the French Quarter, but on a quiet street. The room was actually three rooms: the bedroom, a large kitchen, and a complete sitting room area. Both the bedroom and the sitting area have TV's, but we were too worn out with our sightseeing and eating adventures to watch any television.

Another plus is that wonderful coffee is available free of charge all day long by the pool area, which is a nice place to sit and plan one's day.

We will certainly stay at the Richelieu on all our future visits to this great city!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

New Orleans is a funky, fun place and the French Quarter is where it's at for a lot of visitors. That's why there are a million overpriced hotels vying for your vacation dollars. Le Richelieu has a lot of pros and cons, as many other reviews have stated. If you spend the night here with your expectations in check, you'll be fine.

Pros first?
Great location in the French Quarter if you don't want to be right up on all the crazy of Bourbon St. This hotel is closer to the Marigny, which is actually where the good jazz is, so if that's your scene, it's only 2 blocks away. If you are into walking around with giant purple slushy drinks, you may want to find a place closer to the action as it is a good walk to get to the heart of Bourbon St. There is a great cafe up the street with excellent coffee, Decauter St. is so convenient and the French Market is just up the road.

Gated parking. Yes, there is a fee. Get over it. Your car is secure and off the street, and if you've ever tried to find a parking place in this part of NOLA, you will totally appreciate it.

The room was clean, and the cleaning staff seemed on top of it. Just make sure to put out your "Do Not Disturb" sign before you go to bed. They start the rounds EARLY! and will knock on your door LOUDLY if you haven't remembered to put out your sign.

These are really big pros. And if you can get over the con list, this is the place for you.

Cons
The room was so dreary and dated. The lighting from the ceiling fan was weird and the furniture really needs an update. The ceilings were high, which was nice, but the cream painted brick combined with the bad lighting made it felt a little like the kind of place something bad might happen. The bed was just alright comfort wise. The drapes didn't keep out the light from the security light and street lamp located directly outside our first floor room. (pro - you could go to the bathroom in the middle of the night without turning on a light). Obviously, you don't spend a lot of time in your room in New Orleans, but if you are hungover it doesn't make you feel cozy.

The bathroom is also in desperate need of an update. I like a retro bathroom, but this wasn't retro, it was just ugly. And made for midgets. The toilet was really little and low, the vanity was equally low, and the bathtub that didn't drain was super tiny as well. I was just glad it didn't overflow while I was taking a shower and giving my ankles an extra soak.

The heating/air con system was crap. I know that during most of the year, New Orleans is a sweat box, but in November it gets cold! The system seems to be rigged to only blow cold air or be off. Stuffy and off was much preferred over freezing. This could be a pro in the summer.

The friendly staff is friendly, but with some reservations. They were helpful calling cabs, and were always ready with a smile when we picked up our key (con - I hate having a key that I have to turn in when I leave the room!). We had breakfast one day and drinks one night and the wait staff was lovely. I just had a frustrating encounter with the "concierge". Our group was flailing a little trying to figure our day's adventures. I went to the desk to ask if they had any suggestions.Now, as a group, we're not big on walking tours. We just don't like being held hostage to long winded stories when we can read, look and learn for ourselves. Walking tours are probably the go-to for the "concierge" ladies, and when I said we weren't interested in that, they were a little stumped. I asked if they could recommend a plantation tour (we were ok driving), but they couldn't, saying that there would be touring inside any house we went to (we're ok with guided tours, just not "walking tours" where you don't go very far). They sort of lost interest in me when I didn't seem interested in what was easy for them to book and finally recommend the aquarium or the WWII Museum. It was a beautiful day and we wanted to be outside, so we ended up driving out to Oak Alley Plantation and having a great time. I just felt like the encounter was so awkward and uncomfortable, and left feeling like they were judging me for not liking walking tours. Ugh. I avoided the desk after that. If you don't need help at the desk, or like walking tours, this might not be a problem.

So, to sum up - if you are ok dealing with some discomfort in exchange for a great location, this is the place for you! If not, shell out a few more bucks and go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay off the first floor if you can help it. You could end up right on the street.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Casale Monferrato, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

this hotel couldn't have been in a more convenient location! it was within minutes from great restaurants, and local culture. good for any age groups traveling. 24 hour front desk services were also a plus, and there was always security on grounds and visible, keeping trouble on the streets.

• Stayed November 2012
Hattiesburg, MS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Le Richelieu remains “my hotel” in New Orleans. Since discovering this quaint hotel near the northeast corner of the French Quarter in 2007, I have returned to this friendly, family-owned hotel on repeated visits.

A few changes were in evidence on the occasion of my recent visit. An electronically controlled gate now marks the parking lot entrance. Free parking is no more. The family ownership remains, but the hotel is now run by different members of the previous owning family. Otherwise, the hotel seems to be the same place I’ve known with fondness these past years.

The Le Richelieu has some definite advantages. These include reasonable room rates; convenience to the Frenchman Street-Marigny area, the French Market, and Jackson Square; helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly front desk personnel; parking security; and an intimate, home-like setting. The hotel further possesses a special uniqueness, a look back at an earlier New Orleans era. It is also close to the French Market (Esplanade) streetcar station—a definite advantage for those wishing to expand travels beyond the immediate hotel area.

The hotel is relatively disadvantaged for some purposes. If your interests lie geographically closer to the Central Business District, Canal Street, or some of the Bourbon Street commercial establishments you are in for a bit of a walk. If your idea of fun is to hear reveling drunks on nearby streets, you are in the wrong place. The area around Chartres and Barracks streets is not honky-tonk Bourbon Street! The area surrounding the hotel is more residential than commercial.

The hotel, itself, is not a new property and it isn’t the latest thing in luxury with all the latest bells and whistles. I don’t often need those things; the more traditional—even dated--furnishings suit my needs quite well. The heating/cooling system is showing its age, but, heck, I’m not spending much time in the room anyway.

My only criticism on this specific visit is that the hotel is a bit behind the curve on dealing with ADA handicap issues. We had need of a wheelchair on this trip, and we knew in advance that the hotel would be something of a challenge at times. Basically, the front desk, lobby, bar, and restaurant are not wheelchair accessible. We were prepared for these circumstances, but this could be a problem for other guests who arrive unaware of the situation.

The good news is that management seems well aware of handicap problems and they seem to be sincerely interested in getting the problems resolved. I am optimistic that this problem will soon be satisfactorily addressed.

Upon arrival I was slightly apprehensive about the new parking lot gate and the ability to easily access the parking lot prior to check-in. My concerns were unwarranted. I checked with the front desk in advance of leaving home and learned I could notify the front desk to open gate by cell phone call from car or by simply getting out of the car and talking into the speaker next to the gate. I did the latter and gate promptly opened.

I remain convinced that Le Richelieu will serve my lodging needs for years to come. I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Where to start? Room was large and laid out nicely. More than adequate space for clothes and any other items you may bring or buy. Problems include an odd smell and the need for updating. Although a lovely old building in the quarter, this property needs a facelift. The paint in the rooms and carpeting looked old and worn. The bath was out of the '60's composed of 1inch sky blue tiles, along with the toilet, tub and sink. The kitchen was the same. There was no coffee maker in our room, which I really like to have.
We really enjoyed the neighborhood this hotel is located in. Just inside the quarter, you have the ability to visit Marigny as well, with some great music clubs and restaurants easily within walking distance.
I would stay here again, although it wouldn't be my first choice.

Room Tip: The suites had a lot of room and on our floor (2nd) a nice balcony as well.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The hotel is a good value. Nothing fancy. No luxury. Great location. The rooms are clean; beds comfortable; towels soft and fluffy. There's a bar downstairs. Black and white marble entry room graced by a Southern painting of man in a canoe with a black cat. The front desk helped us arrange walking tours, made restaurant recommendations, and checked dress codes. at places we made dinner reservations.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Richelieu in the French Quarter? Share your experiences!