““My Hotel” Alive and Well” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Richelieu in the French Quarter

Save Saved
You added Le Richelieu in the French Quarter to your Saves list
Le Richelieu in the French Quarter
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1234 Chartres St., New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)   |
Ranked #37 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Hattiesburg, MS
““My Hotel” Alive and Well”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Le Richelieu remains “my hotel” in New Orleans. Since discovering this quaint hotel near the northeast corner of the French Quarter in 2007, I have returned to this friendly, family-owned hotel on repeated visits.

A few changes were in evidence on the occasion of my recent visit. An electronically controlled gate now marks the parking lot entrance. Free parking is no more. The family ownership remains, but the hotel is now run by different members of the previous owning family. Otherwise, the hotel seems to be the same place I’ve known with fondness these past years.

The Le Richelieu has some definite advantages. These include reasonable room rates; convenience to the Frenchman Street-Marigny area, the French Market, and Jackson Square; helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly front desk personnel; parking security; and an intimate, home-like setting. The hotel further possesses a special uniqueness, a look back at an earlier New Orleans era. It is also close to the French Market (Esplanade) streetcar station—a definite advantage for those wishing to expand travels beyond the immediate hotel area.

The hotel is relatively disadvantaged for some purposes. If your interests lie geographically closer to the Central Business District, Canal Street, or some of the Bourbon Street commercial establishments you are in for a bit of a walk. If your idea of fun is to hear reveling drunks on nearby streets, you are in the wrong place. The area around Chartres and Barracks streets is not honky-tonk Bourbon Street! The area surrounding the hotel is more residential than commercial.

The hotel, itself, is not a new property and it isn’t the latest thing in luxury with all the latest bells and whistles. I don’t often need those things; the more traditional—even dated--furnishings suit my needs quite well. The heating/cooling system is showing its age, but, heck, I’m not spending much time in the room anyway.

My only criticism on this specific visit is that the hotel is a bit behind the curve on dealing with ADA handicap issues. We had need of a wheelchair on this trip, and we knew in advance that the hotel would be something of a challenge at times. Basically, the front desk, lobby, bar, and restaurant are not wheelchair accessible. We were prepared for these circumstances, but this could be a problem for other guests who arrive unaware of the situation.

The good news is that management seems well aware of handicap problems and they seem to be sincerely interested in getting the problems resolved. I am optimistic that this problem will soon be satisfactorily addressed.

Upon arrival I was slightly apprehensive about the new parking lot gate and the ability to easily access the parking lot prior to check-in. My concerns were unwarranted. I checked with the front desk in advance of leaving home and learned I could notify the front desk to open gate by cell phone call from car or by simply getting out of the car and talking into the speaker next to the gate. I did the latter and gate promptly opened.

I remain convinced that Le Richelieu will serve my lodging needs for years to come. I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Where to start? Room was large and laid out nicely. More than adequate space for clothes and any other items you may bring or buy. Problems include an odd smell and the need for updating. Although a lovely old building in the quarter, this property needs a facelift. The paint in the rooms and carpeting looked old and worn. The bath was out of the '60's composed of 1inch sky blue tiles, along with the toilet, tub and sink. The kitchen was the same. There was no coffee maker in our room, which I really like to have.
We really enjoyed the neighborhood this hotel is located in. Just inside the quarter, you have the ability to visit Marigny as well, with some great music clubs and restaurants easily within walking distance.
I would stay here again, although it wouldn't be my first choice.

Room Tip: The suites had a lot of room and on our floor (2nd) a nice balcony as well.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The hotel is a good value. Nothing fancy. No luxury. Great location. The rooms are clean; beds comfortable; towels soft and fluffy. There's a bar downstairs. Black and white marble entry room graced by a Southern painting of man in a canoe with a black cat. The front desk helped us arrange walking tours, made restaurant recommendations, and checked dress codes. at places we made dinner reservations.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Loved our room! We wanted an older hotel with charm and that's what we got. Location was perfect! Staff was great, as was the food from their in-house kitchen. Cute little bar in hotel as well. They have a swimming pool however it was too cold for swimming this time of year! We will return to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We booked this Hotel as we wanted to stay in the French Quarter and the driving instructions to get there were bang on, which is always a help if you are somewhere new.
After check in we drove around the back and parked the car in their secure car park.( $20 per night ) , We booked in for three nights and had a really nice room with a street view. We had done our homework with the location and because of this we walked everywhere (so the rental car had a rest) . Good Hotel choice for us in a really good location near areas we wanted to see and visit. The hotel staff were great as well.
p.s A bulb blew in the ceiling lights so we reported it to our chambermaid. Within 10 mins the maintenance man was there and the light was replaced. !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My first trip to New Orleans, my best friend and I stayed here. It was incredible affordable and nestled right in between the Bourbon St near the French Quarter. Just a few blocks walk and the debauchery and exuberance is in full force. Just a few blocks in the other direction to Frenchman St and you find a rich scene with amazing street and club performers serenading you with jazz and blues. The hotel was very clean, the pool was nice, and it was a peaceful escape to get some rest after all the partying.

I will definitely stay here again, and recommend it to anyone on a budget (or not)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Ocean City, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Great hotel very close to French Market. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. Close walking distance to Bourbon Street most other attractions. Nice front desk staff that had no problem printing out my flight boarding passes before I left. Will stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Le Richelieu in the French Quarter? Share your experiences!