“A blk from Bourbon St” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal St Charles Hotel

You added Royal St Charles Hotel to your Saves list
Royal St Charles Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   135 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Clarion Collection Royal St Charles Hotel)   |
Ranked #77 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Orange Park, Florida
“A blk from Bourbon St”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed here the night before catching our cruise ship. The hotel is clean and modern with comfortable beds. It is a street over from Canal behind the Starbucks. It's an easy walk over to Bourbon St. You have to pay to valet park or unload your baggage and then drive your car a few blocks to the parking garage - I opted to valet to avoid the hassle.

Stayed January 2015

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Ridgeland, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The hotel was a good deal so I booked it for a weekend. The location was not too bad, just a block from Canal St. and a few blocks from the Quarter. It was a swanky place with a very modern design similar to a lot of the downtown N.O. hotels. The design was nothing special except for the colorful lobby area with multiple TV's.

The rooms are small much like other downtown boutique hotels. The mattress was a bit thin making my night's rest not so restful. Bathroom was also small.

The worst part was the parking; I paid a nice sum to park in the TIGHTEST parking structure I have ever seen. I gritted my teeth with every turn in that cramped space hoping in would not scratch the side of my car. I admit I am a bit claustrophobic so that doesn't help either. I should have just paid the additional charge and had them do it for me... what a mess. I only complained because I had to go back and forth from the room to the car several times.

Overall, a decent place to stay but not having their own garage killed it for me. The small rooms and tiny mattress didn't help either. If you can find something else, go there first. I'd only consider this a last resort if I everything else was booked up and I had to be in downtown N.O.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

On a recent trip to New Orleans, I had the opportunity to stay at the Royal St. Charles Hotel, and I'm really glad I did. The location was great - a block off Canal Street and the Quarter. Room was well appointed and comfortable, and it was sure convenient to have a nice coffee cafe in the lobby. But what made the trip memorable were the people. From everyone at the desk who were both professional and personable, to the hard working folks in the cafe who were able to get coffee and food out quickly, to the housekeepers who kept our messy room clean. The housekeepers were friendly and outgoing, and enjoyed serving us. I left a small gift for our housekeeper and had the opportunity to meet the General Manager - now I know why the staff is so personable - It comes from the top! I've stayed in New Orleans several times, but couldn't tell you anything about any of the staff members at any other hotel. These professionals at the Royal St. Charles made my trip memorable. Thanks for all you do!

Room Tip: We were on the top floor and loved it. It was cozy and quiet.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

With a small budget we had 4 adults to a room. This would probably make most hotel rooms feel small, however this room felt even smaller. Other than the size, the room was great. It had updated bathrooms and furniture.

As most people mention, the location is better than good. Being a few streets away from bourbon cuts down on noise. Free wifi. The coffee shop in the lobby is another plus. I would definitely stay here again when visiting the big easy.

P.S. Ask the bell hop for a taxi, you may get lucky and get a private SUV for the same price. I did.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Yes, everything written about this nice hotel is true.

The staff were excellent, accommodating and friendly. They made you feel welcomed

The location is perfect and comparatively, the price value is great. From there, walk across the Canal street and you are at the Royal street, the pedestrian walkway of the French Quarter. Walk to the water side, you are at RiverWalk, the outlet shopping center. You can also walk to WWII museum. and the Charles street streetcar is just outside the door that can take you to the Garden City.

Small coffee cafe in the lobby, and a lot of eating places within one block. McDonald, Subway, but who wants this when you can get the southern gravy from Kristal and Southern fried chicken (juicy, mmmm....) just a block away.

Just don't get a room right by Charles Street, (small room number e.g 1) those "dammmm......" :-):-):-) streetcars, they woke you up bright and early, even on the 7th floor. Unless of course you are a sound sleeper.

One other thing, don't know whether it is true or not, our family doctor suggested that a couple family members got bed bug bites. First time for us. One unique travel experience

Room Tip: Again, if you are not a sound sleeper, avoid room facing the Charles Street where the streetcars are...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Charlottetown, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My room was noticeably small, but it felt really cozy. Perfect for one person. You can hear the street cars when they rumble by, but it wasn't an annoying noise. It reminded me I was in New Orleans. The best part is that it's easy to find your way back to your hotel because it's named for the streets it's on.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Our entire family (husband/myself, son/wife/granddaughter, daughter and friend, plus another young couple) traveled to NOLA for a wedding. Son made our hotel reservations and they couldn't have been at a better hotel. Royal st. Charles staff was professional but friendly, very accommodating, and most welcoming. The hotel was very clean. All parts that we used, lobby, public restrooms, PJ's Coffee Shop, were always tidy. Our housekeeper was a great lady named Jesse who met every challenge we threw her way ... And four rooms of people, including an infant as well as an expecting mom, can certainly be challenging. I highly recommend this property. Great location for walking anywhere in the downtown and French Quarter areas. I am looking forward to staying there again!

Room Tip: We stayed on tenth floor ... Request a high floor ... Very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Been to Royal St Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!