“Great Location, Modern but small” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Royal St Charles Hotel

Save Saved
You added Royal St Charles Hotel to your Saves list
Royal St Charles Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   135 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Clarion Collection Royal St Charles Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Savings Up To 30%
Ranked #72 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Houston, Texas
“Great Location, Modern but small”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

If you want to stop by for a quick stay, this is ok. The rooms were extremely small and not much room for a family of 4. We had an SUV and the parking garage which was 2 blocks away was just as small and tight to maneuver it. At the time, there was construction outside and not sure if this is always normal for downtown, but we could hear the noise from outside early in the morning :( We were on the 5th floor, but get the highest floor possible. The best parts were the decor of the hotel, it was clean and easy access to restaurants and shopping. We walked everywhere and no need to use the car. If the room was larger like most 3-4 star hotels, it would have been a better stay. If I had to come back, I would have to book the larger suites or rooms with the balcony. But all in all, the best part was the location and access to everything.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed here for five nights over Labor Day weekend and this hotel has a lot going for it. The positives are that it is in a great location, close to the French Quarter but far enough away not to be bothered by any partying noise. The hotel is very clean and rooms are small but comfortable, the beds are really fantastic. The staff at the coffee bar were really friendly on the whole as were the hotel staff. I had a room on the 9th floor and it was dead silent all the time apart from an occasional drunk guest coming in late, this is understandable in New Orleans.

Annoying management decisions:

Charging a resort fee of $10 per day to pay for facilities, this was supposed to include Wireless but the signal was poor that I couldn’t connect in my room. The only time the wireless worked was when I tested it in the lobby and got a download speed of less than 2 Mbits per second. If you need to charge for facilities roll it into the room rate so you don’t annoy people when you charge extra for things you don’t deliver. And you would save you staff the embarressment of have to explain what the charge was for.

I asked if I could check out a couple of hours late on the Tuesday but was told that I would be charged $25 an hour to do so after 11am. This is a reasonably large hotel with 143 rooms, why not use common sense and say Tuesday will be a quietier day, this guy was here for five nights so give him one hour for free till Midday then say any later is $25 an hour as a gesture of goodwill?

I hate to mention this because I liked the lady dealing with me. On check in I asked if I could upgrade to room with a window, I was told the option was to go for a Junior Suite for an extra $45 a night and I agreed. I was charged to my card then the lady on reception seemed to become confused said that the room she had sold me wasn’t available but I could upgrade to a room with a window that was $15 a night more than I had paid. Why not offer that to me first? This has to be a mangement deicsion to push more expensive rooms. Sorting out the credit and charges meant it was a long check in process and then the credit took a week to get back on my card. I accept this is not the hotel’s fault but annoying to have funds tied up for nothing because of a receptionist’s mistake. Also I wasn't told about the $10 a day charge until it had been charged to my card, this is bad training of the staff.

Nearly all the time there was only one person working the reception of a reasonably large hotel like this, this is bound to lead to bad service and stressed out staff. I felt like ii was a very nice hotel but they were running with bare bones staffing all the time.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a beautiful, modern hotel! We loved the lobby - super sleek, modern and we had a great concierge hook us up with some great tour ideas.

The room was amazing!! A beautiful corner suite overlooking downtown New Orleans and the French Quarter. It had two rooms, floor to ceiling windows and a huge cozy bed and giant bathroom. Everything about the room/hotel was fantastic. It really exceeded our expectations. The location was perfect, it was walking distance to everything in the French Quarter (just off Canal St) BUT next to some great restaurants in the business area we may not have tried if we were in the middle of French Quarter the whole time.

Room Tip: The top floor, corner room had the best view (I'm assuming), and a lot of space.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My sister and I booked our trip thru hotwire. This hotel was great. The staff was so friendly and nice! Everything is within walking distance...
The room was a little small, and there was no fridge which surprised me, but it was okay. They charge an extra $9.95 per day as a resort fee??? not sure the purpose for that fee. They said it was for the wifi and gym....
But the ladies at the front desk were friendly, helpful and made us feel like we were staying with family. We hated to leave. Would definitely stay again.
Parking is expensive...but you don't need a car, use the street cars or walk. You'll need to after all the good food you'll eat!

Room Tip: Rooms are a little small, but comfy!
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

After hours of debating I booked this hotel based on geography and price. The reviews I read on here were pretty good as well. I have to say it was an excellent choice. First off this was our first time visiting NOLA, my husband and 7 yo daughter. This location is perfect for a family visit as its just away enough from the sometimes crazy of the French Quarter but close enough to get there n everywhere else you care to go. The hotel is as it looks in the pictures, clean and lovely decor. Our room was on the 5th floor (503) over looking the corner of St. Charles. Booked a king room for 7 nights, the size was adequate, on the smaller side yes but not teeny. The staff of this hotel were warm and friendly from check in to check out, we were greeted daily with a wave and smiles. Our fav was Val the concierge. She was key in what we did with our time, we booked all of the tours we did through Val. The prices were compatable and she genuinely seemed to want us to have a great time. There is a trolly stop right on the front side of the hotel also we took that straight to the zoo effortlessly. The bellman were also great again friendly and helpful. All in all we had a wonderful time here. Nothing to complain about.. The only thing missing for us (for the kid) was a pool but there was so much to do and see it wasnt a huge miss. We will definitly be back.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Duncanville, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We were looking for a hotel in New Orleans that was close to the French Quarter and reasonably priced. The Royal St. Charles met those requirements. The rooms are not large, but the convenient location and newly renovated look made up for it. We weren't spending a lot of time in our room in any case. The hotel in walking distance to the French Quarter and the river front and the casino. Right off Canal Street.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

On our third trip to NOLA we stayed here. The location was great just off Canal so no crowds like on the French Quarter. Our room did not have a window which did not matter to me but might to others. Price was low for the area we did have to call the desk during one night to some drunk kids in the hallway still celebrating.

• Stayed May 2014

Been to Royal St Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!