“Budget friendly with great location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Royal St Charles Hotel

Save Saved
You added Royal St Charles Hotel to your Saves list
Royal St Charles Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   135 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Clarion Collection Royal St Charles Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Savings Up To 20%
Ranked #76 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Houston, Texas
“Budget friendly with great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

After searching priceline and the internet vigorously, I thought finding a decent hotel in the Quarter vicinity was impossible. That was until I came across the Royal St Charles. I went directly to the website and found AAA pricing much less than many hotels in the area. Not knowing anything about the hotel, I took a risk and booked it. We arrived at our room and it was clean , large flat screen tv, desk and an ok view on the street car side. Prior to arriving I requested a queen bed with a window, but I received two doubles instead; however upon calling the front desk they offred a queen with no window the next day. Though, a double was not sufficient for my boyfriend and I , we stuck it out for the sake of sunlight and view.

My only negative comment would be that the bathroom had no counter space, one towel had "residuals" of the last guest, which I did not discover until half-way through its use (gross!), the bathtub was dingy and when I turned on the bathtub faucet for the first time orange water came pouring out for the first minute and then it cleared up. The bedspread on one of the doubles was yellow and somewhat dingy. However, with all that said, we only stayed in the room for sleeping purposes so we were able to overlook its imperfections.

After reading the other reviews, I must say the streetcar was not an issue for us. We stayed on the 8th floor and aside from an occasional bell, the noise was not an issue.

The location is great! You cross over Canal and you are in the Quarter! After, a night on Bourbon I was thankful for this short hike to the hotel.

Self Parking was available four blocks away at the Hilton Garden hotel for $16 , but we lucked out the second night and found a space curbside for free! The only other fee was a 9.95/day mandatory fee and tax.

Room Tip: During the day look for parking around the hotel in unmarked areas and avoid the parking fee! Great...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

242 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

While the staff was super friendly to my children and kids under eighteen stay free in a parents room, I couldn’t help but notice my children were the youngest people there.  The vibe I received, from the contemporary décor and the lack of a pool, was that the hotel was geared toward adults. I felt this would have been a great place for a “getaway” weekend with my husband.  Although we were two blocks from the French Quarter, I was amazed at how quiet it was in our room.  I don’t know if it was because we were on the 10th floor or because the rooms were well insulated, but very few sounds reached our room, insuring we received rest in a city known for partying all night long.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

The staff was extremely helpful and welcoming! My room was very luxurious and had a beautiful view of downtown New Orleans! I loved staying at this hotel! I wish I could have stayed longer. I can't wait to return, hopefully soon!

• Stayed June 2013
Kansas City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

I had stayed at the Royal St. Charles hotel a few years ago and it was in need of an update, that remodel work has been done and I was pleased with the hotel, my room and the device. The front desk girl was very helpful and seemed to be there day and night. My room was not big but clean and quiet. Hotel location is great to go anywhere either by walking or streetcar stop right out front. All in all s great stay.

• Stayed June 2013
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is a great hotel with a inexpensive rate in the middle of New Orleans and everything you want to do. And a good coffee shop on the main floor. The rooms are very clean and nice look at the hotel the streetcar is right out your door and the best to see is very close by. There are some very inexpensive eateries very close by. And, the quarters one block away. I'll be back.

Room Tip: there are some very special rooms at this hotel. Also travel to New Orleans in the spring or fall an...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

No reservations. Showed up at the hotel at 9 pm. Staff was very helpful and charged what was quoted when we checked in. Didn't like $16/day parking charge. Parking garage was 4 blocks away. Arrived in our room and was pleasantly surprised. Very clean. Most comfortable beds/pillows of any hotel we have stayed at. Would definitely recommend this to anyone traveling to New Orleans. First time to LA. Walking distance to Bourbon street. Felt very safe with our teenagers. Only complaint was the trolley car stops right in front of the hotel. Great if you want to get around on it but noisy in the morning.

Room Tip: Got the handicap room. Bigger bathroom but no shelf to put makeup bag on.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

As a first time traveler to the N.O. I loved the close proximity of the hotel to everything. I wasn't a fan of the parking but I lucked up on a spot. The room was small but doable as I didn't spend much time there. The staff was very hospitable when I arrived. The room was very neat and clean. I didn't like the lack of sunlight. But the hotel was very quaint and for the price of 60.00 I couldn't beat the location. When I visit again I will keep this place in mind.

Room Tip: The rooms are small and so are the bathrooms. It really is good for a quiet couple getaway.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal St Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!