“OK for the Money” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 New Orleans -Old Gentilly Rd

Save Saved
You added Motel 6 New Orleans -Old Gentilly Rd to your Saves list
Motel 6 New Orleans -Old Gentilly Rd
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4200 Old Gentilly Road (I-10 Exit-239), New Orleans, LA 70126   |
Ranked #120 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Texas
“OK for the Money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I stayed here for a night to attend a court hearing. New Orleans isn't a cheap place to find accomodations, and this is probably one of the most reasonable. The room was clean and had internet access. I had been told that it suffered severe damage in the hurricane, and had beed renovated. There was no coffee maker in the room, but there was a coffee pot in the lobby, where I drank the weakest cup of Joe that I have ever had in my life. Basically, it was fairly clean, but a bit Spartan, not a great place to stay, but OK. Check in was a bit tedious.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere out in Metaire!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New Orleans
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

I stay at Motel 6 alot. They are dirt cheap without the dirt. They normally let children stay free. This means if there is one adult and children, you get a room with two beds at no additional fee. But this one suprised me last week by charging for two beds. Motel 6 doesn't normally charge by the bed, but by how many adults are in the room. I guess this one is independantly owned so they can do this. And they did it without offering any explaination. You would think if you are going to have a very different policy than the rest of the motels in your chain have you would at least kindly explain this to the guest instead of going about buisness like nothing strange is occuring. Also they way they vary from the Motel 6 norm is having check out time at 11 instead of 12. Of course when a customer is suprised they act like everything is normal, like they don't see what the big deal is when like 1000 Motel 6's do things one certain way and they decide to make some changes for the worse. So if your a faithful Motel 6 customer, steer clear of this one.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Coushatta, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

had family emergency and conceling reservation was last thing on our minds.when we tried to explain why we did not cancel,they charged us any way.when your faced with your mother having emergency surgery,you don't think about any thing else.to me they are selfish and uncarring people.we made it the second night of our reservation to find a dirty stained floor that did not look to have been vaccumed in quiet a while.around the tolet was dirty and had someones hair left from who knows when.linens where clean except for one pillow case that looked like a rodant had used the bathroom on it.they do not have coffee pots in the room.its in a bad neighborhood.i will not stay at any motel 6 again.i will try and find a motel that has owners that care about people.

Room Tip: aviod this motel period
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Iowa City IA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

This Motel 6 is clean, quiet, pet friendly and secure. (There is a large open area in back to walk a dog.) My room was a double with a microwave and fridge and it was enormous (I got a double for the fridge and microwave)! Plenty of room for me and my pooch. The area seems safe but after dark as with any place be cautious. The area seems to have gone thru some hurricane damage and it probably has seen better times. (There are abandoned buildings-former motels and a strip mall that are gone in the 'hood.) There is handy new shopping and eats THO; there is a Winn Dixie, Dollar General, Family Dollar, Walgreens, Burger King, Mcdonald's, Subway, Rally, Waffle HSE and gas stations in the immediate neighborhood and down the street. It is also close and a convenient drive to the French QTR (near Elysian Fields and ST Bernard exits). The parking lot was secured by a gate the first night I got there (but never again) which I found odd, but I only had to be let out once and I never had to use my key to open it. The hallways sometimes smelled odd but no worse than any other budget chain. I would stay here again. Especially if I was on a budget and unable to stay directly in the QTR!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Toledo, Oh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Our stay here was as expected. The room was clean, large, bathroom was nice, check in was pleasant. The location is not the best, but the parking lot is fenced in. For the price, its definitely worth it for how close you are to downtown. The front desk has numbers for taxi service. We were in town for the Sugar Bowl at the Superdome, and stayed here one night. We were able to order Domino's pizza as well and they delivered to the front desk. My husband had no issues going to get it. I would not recommend walking around the property at night, but for a place to lay your head during travels, its well suited. I would stay here again, if I were staying on a budget. Next time, I hope to be able to stay longer and down on Bourbon St. The trick with the showers and hot water are to start your shower water early, let it run for about 15 mins, and then you have a very hot shower. The abandoned building we looked at from our window was interesting, but, just part of the rebuilding from Katrina.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

We like to stay in Motel 6s when we travel because the rates are good and we normally have a predictable experience for a good sleep and a nice shower. Some are better than others but this room was acceptionally clean and large for a budget hotel! Initially, there was a strong cleaning agent smell in the room (which is not all bad) but it went away after cranking the A/C up a bit. The room was large, clean, and we had a nice big window facing a grassy area between us and I-10 freeway. We had a good sleep and shower.

It would have been nice to have a valet cart, micro-fridge, and iron but that was really a non-issue. We paid about $30.00 more for this Motel 6 than we typically do but it was only a few short minutes away from downtown New Orleans. Also, Kumar (the manager) was very helpful and courteous both over the phone and in person. Don't let the poor area of town deter you. We felt safe even staying out until after 1:00 am New Year's morning.

Room Tip: Ask for non-smoking.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

So i can start by saying that everyone who is talking smack about this motel and the location are incorrect. Yes, maybe the location of this hotel is not so great but look around, you have downtime New Orleans in less than 10 mins, you have French Quarters, Harrahs and everything so near by! the management was so nice and the rooms were more than enough! 2 queen beds with 4 people and it was still spacious. Trust me, my husband and I dont just stay at any hotel and this one is one that I will for sure keep coming back to when I visit New Orleans!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Motel 6 New Orleans -Old Gentilly Rd? Share your experiences!