“Nice and Contemporary” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel Modern

You added The Hotel Modern to your Saves list
The Hotel Modern
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   936 St. Charles Avenue, At Lee Circle, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Ranked #68 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Buffalo, New York
“Nice and Contemporary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for one night this past weekend and were very pleased. Check in went smoothly and although we asked for a room facing Lee Circle, we were fine with having a view of the World War II Museum. The room was small, and we expected that after reading the reviews on here, but it was very clean. My wife LOVED the books that were all over the hotel and in the room...nice touch. The hotel is right across the street from where the St. Charles streetcar picks you up, which we took to Canal St. to get to the French Quarter. We booked our room through Groupon and was given a $25 credit to use for drinks and food at Tivoli & Lee. We were told by the front desk that we could use it after we checked out, but the restaurant manager told us something different, which was sort of embarrassing. After going back and forth between the restaurant and hotel, she said it was taken care of, but when I checked my bank account, I was charged the full amount for the meal and didn't receive a credit from the hotel. The miscommunication between the two entities was my only issue.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
TheHotelModern, Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Cory sorry about the mix up! We are glad the rest of your stay was uneventful and if you need anything else please feel free to contact us directly and we will do whatever we need to help you out.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Indonesian first
Enterprise, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed over night before we went on a cruise. We chose to use the valet to park, because we came in late at night (around midnight). The attendants were very helpful and didn't mind conversing with weary travelers. The hotel is home to a parrot, it's like a mascot of the hotel. The room we stayed in was very interestingly furnished, a mixture of hipster and modern. I thought it was a neat little place. Comfortable, but not extremely spacious. Our room overlooked Lee Circle, and it was pretty neat to look at during the night. I enjoyed our stay, though it was very brief.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
TheHotelModern, Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
We are sorry that your trip was so brief with us, I guess this means you will just have to come back and enjoy it again. Have fun on your cruise!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Really nice hotel just a touch off the beaten path. The rooms are very nice, staff is friendly, and there's a parrot at the front desk! They were very flexible with our checkin/out times and dates and were more than willing to help us as much as possible. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014
TheHotelModern, Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
We always do our best in order to really impress our guests! Thank you for staying and we hope to see you again soon!
Franklinton, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Do not stay at the Modern! We had to change rooms 3 times because the first room was dirty, the second room smelled of smoke. In the 3rd room the light in the bathroom went out and the maintence guy came and stood on the bathroom sink and got dirt everywhere and I had to ask for someone to come clean it and I watched as they barely wiped off the counter. I had to clean the debris that fell from the bulb myself. Then when we got back to the room the only thing I asked for was a bathtub and it would not hold water. All they offered was a breakfast voucher. This was the most horrible experience I have ever had in New Orleans. Do NOT waste your money!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2014
We are sorry that your experience with us at the hotel did not go so smoothly. Next time you are personally picking your room please make sure you are fully aware of what you are doing. The hotel did make a mistake yes, however the fault is your own that you chose to move so many times... For that is the reason we showed you so many rooms. And we are thankful that you did not "waste" your money considering for the inconvenience you were refunded.
State College, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I recently stayed at The Hotel Modern for two nights. The accommodations were comfortable, the staff friendly and professional, and the food was great.

Dan from Guest Services was incredibly helpful in that he had printed my resume for me to assist in my many interviews in the city.
Slyvia in the dining room was very warm and friendly and knowledgeable about the city and the restaurant's cuisine. She even tried to find out where I can find the fabulous coffee servers. Seriously- I want one of those!
The Bell staff was wonderful and timely in setting up travel arrangements to the airport. Rick was especially helpful and friendly, as was Nicole at the Front Desk.

Thanks- I will certainly be back!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
We are excited to hear how fabulous your stay was!!! We never get tired of hearing about guests having a great stay!
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

A little off the beaten path, but a very nice property. It's about a 10 block walk to the French Quarter, or you can catch the streetcar that runs right by the front door. Room was small but clean, modern, quiet and relaxing. Check-in was a breeze and they even matched the price when we decided to extend our stay. Parking is a hassle--private garage about 4-5 blocks away--we self-parked and the total was $10 for two days--valet is $30/day. Overall, very nice stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Sometimes off the beaten path can be better!! Next time you stay with us you should try out the museums, they are just 1 block away and are very interesting.
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I want to recommend the Hotel Modern. I recently stayed there with five other members of my family for graduation at Tulane. It was well priced, comfortable and quiet. It's a great location, right on the St. Charles street car line at Lee Circle, which made getting around town fun and easy. I want to particularly compliment Rick, who, amongst other things, recommended a great swamp tour for us and Kyle, who was the epitome of southern hospitality and incredibly helpful with every other detail of our visit. I hope that the GM takes notice of this review because both Rick and Kyle are real gems and just who I would want front and center if it was my call.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Great guests really make the business so much better to work in!! Thanks for being one, and we hope to see you again soon!

Been to The Hotel Modern? Share your experiences!