“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel Modern

You added The Hotel Modern to your Saves list
The Hotel Modern
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   936 St. Charles Avenue, At Lee Circle, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #64 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I made a special request when I booked the room for my boyfriend's birthday. The request was fulfilled and it made his birthday very special.

The small room was more spacious than the picture looked online.

The restaurant and bar attached to the Hotel were great.

All in all, it was a unique experience. I very much enjoyed my stay and would do it again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind comments. We are thrilled to learn that you enjoyed your weekend festivities and that your boyfriend was able to have a happy birthday.

Come back to visit us soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Prairieville, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This Hotel was one of many I have never heard of. Groupon had a special, so we decided to book it. The location is great! Rooms are very clean and nice. Beds are comfortable. Make sure you have a "do not disturb" sign to hang on the door, if not they will knock several times in the morning. The restaurant and bar we also great. The Cobbler drinks in the bar are interesting..I would recommend this Hotel to anyone looking to be just the right distance from all the action. Riding the street car is a must!

Room Tip: No pool so I couldnt rate it. Nor did I see a spa
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Happy Anniversary!

In New Orleans, we strongly believe in traditions, and you may need to make it a tradition to come every August to cheer and celebrate your anniversary at the hotel. We look forward to your next visit, and the many more anniversary celebrations to come.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed here for one night. When I searched for a hotel in the French Quarter this came up as potential. This hotel is outside of the French Quarter, HOWEVER it is close to the street car. The Street car runs all day and take you directly to the French Quarter.
Unfortunately they did not restock my room with coffee and fresh glasses so I was a bit dissapointed. However, the beds are comfy and the rooms are spacious.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent experience at the Hotel Modern. We look forward to your return soon. Until then, be well...
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Absolutely Fabulous! This is were we stayed for my 40th Birthday and it was great! Very nice and the atmosphere was very relaxing! I had a great time because everything was close by the trolley and in walking distance. Very Cozy! I love how we could sit out side and enjoy the night air with that very special person I was with who made it all possible! I would like to take the time out and thank a very important staff member there name Will for making my night even better!So genuine Thank from the bottom of my heart for a great experience!

Room Tip: room 323 was the best!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
We are thrilled to learn that your 40th birthday was a total success. We look forward to you making the Hotel Modern a tradition for birthday celebrations to come. By the way, Scarlett is wondering if you took any pictures with her, and she wishes you a Happy Birthday!
Lewisville, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Hotel Modern is a great place that we discovered a few years ago. It's location is in a perfect spot that allows easy access to the French Quarter and Garden District. We usually park our car the entire time and hop on the street car to get around. There is a stop right by the hotel. The staff is very welcoming and will do all they can to make your stay pleasant. The rooms are clean and nicely decorated. There is a bar at the hotel that have AMAZiNG drinks! People leave their hotels to come and have drinks here. If you are looking for a place with friendly staff, clean rooms, and great drinks...Hotel Modern is for you!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with others about the Hotel Modern. We are delighted to learn that not only you enjoyed your accommodations, but also you had a chance to appreciate the food and cocktail program Tivoli & Lee and Bellocq have to offer. We hope that you come back soon, please contact us directly next time you plan on visiting New Orleans and inquire about our repeat guest discount.
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Inefficiency and dirty-sloppy housekeeping abound at this could-be-very-charming but unfortunately disastrous hotel of attempted hipness.

All the elements for success are in place - interesting design - cool little bar - slick restaurant - great beds - sexy metal headboards (perfect if you are handcuff inclined) - in-room Keurig coffee maker - a beautiful Eclectus Parrot hanging out at the simple reception desk - yes everything is there - EXCEPT the right people to make this place work!

The dried excrement smeared on my shower floor - overlooked by housekeeping prior to my check-in - would not have been such a problem, had management either offered me a new room immediately or cleaned up the mess in a timely matter. When I spotted the feces, I called the manager on duty to show him the mess. Of course he was surprised to see this and said he would get on it immediately. When I returned to the hotel - following a meeting with work colleagues, SIX HOURS LATER - the fecal matter was still there!!! So I contacted management a second time, spoke with a new manager - who had no knowledge of the situation - she assured me the issue would be addressed - and so I went out to dinner. Returning to the room two hours later, I found the excrement had been removed, but there were no towels. So I called for towels - and towels arrived - some with dirty brown and yellow stains. Not such a big deal - until I pulled back the comforter on the bed to reveal similar brownish and yellow stains on the sheets.

The second day of my stay - there was a huge garbage bag filled with empty food and drink cartons and people's personal trash - sitting opened on the floor in the hallway outside of my room. See photo - it was there for several hours.

You get the idea. This place is dirty - even that lovely Keurig coffee maker was covered in dust (so much so, you would not want to use it for making coffee) - as were the air vents in the room. And, it is unfortunate that on-duty management does not seem too concerned about making things right during your stay.

Two attempts, while I was still a hotel guest, to contact the General Manager to discuss these issues - because the place could really be great - went unanswered - and similar requests by the managers on duty I spoke with went without response. I did - upon returning home - receive a call from another on-duty manager - which was pleasant and he well-represented his concerns about my concerns. But where was this concern during my stay?

That said, with some elbow grease and a few changes in staff/management, The Hotel Modern could be an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for your time and discussing the chain of events that you experienced while visiting the hotel this past weekend. It is very unfortunate that the resolution for your service breakdowns did not go smoothly and resulted in you contacting my directly. As stated during our conversation, we would love for you to return to our hotel and give us another chance to show you the other side of New Orleans. Until next time, be well.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

booked the hotel room online. Based upon the description I was expecting something much bigger and nicer. The description said bath shower combination bathrobes special art deco. pictures as well. Are room had none of these! Additionally the room was itty bitty tiny! It really felt like a little box. There was literally no place to open my suitcase except for behind the door which meant I couldn't open the door. overall the bed was awesome the room was really cute and a nice bathroom it just needed to be double the size.one last warning finding it and parking is a bearcall meh but the staff is really helpful and handling it!

• Stayed August 2013
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
We are sorry to learn that you found our rooms to be on the smaller side. We offer different room type accommodations that perhaps would best fit what you are looking for. Next time you plan to visit New Orleans, please contact us directly, we would love for you to experience one of our Large rooms. Until then, be well.

Been to The Hotel Modern? Share your experiences!