“Pretty Hoity-Toity, but service sucks.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel Modern

Save Saved
You added The Hotel Modern to your Saves list
The Hotel Modern
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   936 St. Charles Avenue, At Lee Circle, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #58 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Bloomington, Indiana
“Pretty Hoity-Toity, but service sucks.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This hotel apparently is hosting every band, crew member, and driver for the Buku Music Festival, and seem to be totally clueless. Several drivers, all of whom had driven several hundred miles, were left hanging in the lobby for up to four hours, although when advance calls were placed, assurances were made that rooms were ready and available. The hotel itself is very artsy and cutting-edge design wise. It's too bad the staff is not up to the job.

• Stayed March 2013
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
FSTegall,

I am sorry that you did not find our service to match the look of the property. I would like to learn more about your experience and challenges that would help us improve.

At your convenience, please contact me at (504) 962-0903 or Miguel@thehotelmodern.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This place is quirky. I think it fits with the vibe of New Orleans and especially the immediately surrounding area (the Contemporary Art Center and Museum of Southern Art are around the corner and several modern art galleries/studios are within a very short walk). There is a parrot in the lobby, which I found charming.

The decor is quirky. If heavy, classic furniture is your standard for quality, you will be unhappy here. I like the modern/eclectic thing, so I was find. The bed was very comfortable. I was here on business and putting in 14 hour days, so I probably could have slept just fine on the floor, but I slept like a champ. The walls are a bit thin, I could hear water running through pipes in the walls, I could hear people talking in their rooms as I walked down the hall. However, this isn't out of line with most chain hotels I stay in.

The check-in procedure is quirky. I get keeping the lobby more like a sitting room (I'm enjoying sitting here right now, cozy and comfy), but perhaps some sort of mobile solution (tablet-based?) would allow a bit more efficiency (and avoids discomfort when staff run off with your ID and credit card). The tablet can be stowed away easily, keeping the desk clear, and still aligns with a "modern" vibe.

I found the staff very polite and knowledgeable and waiting a few minutes for them to do their thing wasn't a big deal to me personally. The chairs are comfortable, the water is cold, there is art around, there's a pretty bird. Just relax.

If you're the type who tends toward cognitive dissonance, this place isn't for you. If you embrace the opportunity to be in a space that is different, you'll enjoy staying here very much.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Melissa,

We are quirky indeed! Thank you for your review and comments about your most recent stay at the Hotel Modern. Scarlett the parrot is flattered that you found her charming, and is wondering if you took any pictures of her.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to see you back soon, and when you decide to return, contact us for our repeat guest discount program.
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Suspect the best way to describe a stay at The Modern was stated by another couple in the lobby---This is the like a Saturday Night Live skit! And I would offer this was not meant in a positive way.
Where to begin---
Hotel is located adjacent to an abandoned gas station
Panhandlers typically hang out in the circle
There is no front desk---so a staff member 'disappears' wtih your credit card for a prolonged period as part of the check in process
The staff is inexperienced and immature. Arrived in the morning AFTER calling en route and had to wonder around the lobby calling 'is anybody home' before a person appeared
City has stated that one shouldn't drink the water BUT you have to go to the desk and ASK for bottled water and then the staff tells you---'well, I brushed my teeth with city water this morning and I feel ok'
Recommend finding another place to stay in New Orleans

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Amy,
Thank you for taking the time to report your experience at the Hotel Modern. While we understand that the hotel concept is different, we appreciate our guest feedback and take great consideration of the comments for improvement purposes.

We wish that you would have contact any of the managers to share your concerns while on property and allow us the opportunity to find alternative solutions for you.

The City of New Orleans experienced the embarrassing circumstance on Sunday morning of losing water pressure and ordering a boil-water advisory. At the hotel, we responded immediately, communicated to all guests, and offered bottle water. The water situation was not isolated to the Hotel Modern, it was city-wide.

We apologize for the mishaps and would invite you to contact us with further information about your stay.
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I had a nice stay in The Hotel Modern. The check in process was a little longer than normal even though there were no lines. The staff was friendly and curteous. The lobby and the hotel itself is going for a different look and vibe that I am not a fan of but others may like the appearance. The room was clean and comfy. The location is a plus since you are close to the sites and sounds of New Orleans.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hotel Modern. You will be happy to learn that we are currently working on an innovative procedure for check-in and check-out at the hotel that will expedite the process and not make it seem as odd as you point out.

I hope that you come back to the hotel soon and experience the changes we are making including our new Restaurant Tivoli & Lee that will open its doors within the next 5 days.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Not knowing anything about this hotel, we were pleasantly surprised with the staff and cleanliness.. Although some construction was going on for the resturant, the hotel was very well maintained. Very nice & clean room. Having Scarlett greet us upon arrival was great!

• Stayed February 2013
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you very much for letting other travelers know about your recent experience at the Hotel Modern. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed the accommodations, location and our super-hostess Miss Scarlett.

When you are ready to come back to New Orleans, contact us directly and inquire about the repeat guest discount program; it will save you 25% on your next visit.
Mobile
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

You get what you pay for. We got a great deal on this hotel and it has a good location. That said, the traffic outside of the hotel will keep most people up at night as it is very loud (sits right on Lee Circle). The staff is less than accommodating and at times the hotel is severely understaffed. The staff is not mean spirited but rather just appears that they do not know what they are doing.

Our biggest complaints would be (1) understaffed/poor service, (2) loud, (3) towels were taken but not replaced after the first night stay such that we did not have any towels for our showers

We did like the location and though the room was very very small it was clean and decent.

I would probably not stay here again. There are just too many great hotels in New Orleans to stay at the Hotel Modern. That said, if you can find a good deal and you are traveling on a budget, I am sure you could do worse than Hotel Modern.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent visit to the Hotel Modern. I am sorry to learn that you found some deficiencies with our service, and that the street traffic kept you up at night.

Your feedback is important for our ongoing improvements, and I would like to learn more about your experience. At your convenience, please contact me directly at (504) 962-0903 or via email at miguel@thehotelmodern.com.

Kind regards
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stayed in the hotel modern because it was close to the convention center and had better reviews than similarly priced hotels. From beginning to end, my stay was fantastic. The room was very comfortable and newly renovated. It had all of the little conveniences I could ask for from a 4+ star hotel. Even more though, the staff never missed an opportunity to exceed my expectations. They were excessively helpful, from delivering a stack of menus from restaurants that were open and deliver in at 1 in the morning, to checking my room 3 times when I had forgotten something. Altogether, one of my best hotel experiences in a very long time.

Also, hands down the best hotel bar I've ever been to. See my review for Bellocq.

• Stayed February 2013
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
We are delighted to received your review and learn of such positive experience. Thank you for letting others know how special your stay at the Hotel Modern was.

Come back soon, and when you do inquire about the repeat guest discount program available.

Again, thank you!

Been to The Hotel Modern? Share your experiences!