“Boutique Facade” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel Modern

You added The Hotel Modern to your Saves list
The Hotel Modern
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   936 St. Charles Avenue, At Lee Circle, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #64 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
“Boutique Facade”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Despite all attempts at a chic, trendy hotel, the Hotel Modern is no better, and in many ways less impressive, than a common chain hotel. Upon arrival, we waited in the "lobby" area for some time before venturing down a hall to look for a hotel employee. Two employees were in an office, talking to one another. Assuming they were busy and would check us in as soon as they were free, we returned to the main area. After several more minutes, we returned to the employees only area to ask if we could check in. No apologies, just another wait as they finished their personal conversation. Promised drinks on check-in were two glasses of room temperature tap water (out of a fancy decanter). The room itself was small but well-laid-out and was clean with a few minor exceptions. Sleeping was the real issue over the four nights we were there. New Orleans was in the 70's and lower 80's (gorgeous!), and despite frigid temperatures in the hallways, our air conditioner didn't work at all. In addition to trying to sleep in a too warm room, the walls and ceilings are paper thin, and the door literally had a gap around it that let in a large amount of light, and sound, from the hallway. Flushing toilets, running showers, televisions, coughing, or any noise from adjacent rooms was loud enough to wake us.
Additionally, the price quoted online at the hotel's website, where the reservations were made, was not the rate charged, but as the confirmation had no price given, there was nothing we could do.
It was a great trip, and we'll be back in New Orleans soon, but the Hotel Modern will not be our choice again, and we would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your most recent stay at the Hotel Modern. Your feedback is important and appreciated as it assist us in our continuous efforts to improve our service and hotel overall.

I apologize for the inconveniences experienced during your stay. Although I cannot change what took place, I would like to discuss your comments further and understand better the different breakdowns of service.

At your convenience, please contact me directly at 504-962-0903 or via email at miguel@thehotelmodern.com.

Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Perfectly trendy while homey place to stay in New Orleans. I'm in love with the floor-to-ceiling bookcases in the lobby, the hand-painted windowpane maps on the walls, and the loquacious parrot at check-in. Our rooms had painted accent walls and trendy, fresh furnishings. Close enough to walk to the French Quarter or take a bus/street-car, but far enough away from the crazy hustle. We were charged exactly what was expected; no deposits or credit card holds. I highly recommend for anyone wanting a fresh room for an affordable price in New Orleans.

Stayed over MLK weekend. 2 rooms at $115/night through Priceline.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Lee Circle have a gorgeous view of the sunset over the monument.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing your most recent stay at the Hotel Modern. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

When you are ready to return to New Orleans, please contact us directly and inquire about our repeat guest discount offer.

Best regards.
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Traveled to New Orleans MLK Day weekend with two friends and thought The Hotel Modern was great. Staff was attentive and kind. Absolutely LOVED "Scarlet", the hotel's beautiful and charming red bird mascot that was situated behind the front desk. Before our outtings we always dropped by to say hello to her. Warning: do not give her your beads from Bourbon Street, she will not give them back... She loves those things! lol

Anyway, we stayed in room 206 which had a nice view of Lee's Circle, however at night the street car was kind of noisy, but not too bad. I saw in previous reviews that people had trouble sleeping because the bar is right below the 200 level, but we did not have that problem. I believe January is off-season for NO so there weren't too many people checked in, but this probably changes as the Superbowl/Mardi Gras season comes about!

Beds are very comfy, white sheets and comforter, bathroom was nice and clean and the room had a huge flat screen TV, which was nice. The rooms aren't big, but I think they were perfectly sized to be comfortable. Distance from the French Quarter was about a 15-20 min walk- not bad if you're used to walking everywhere. I happen to be from NYC so walking wasn't an issue. If it is, the front desk will gladly call a cab for you which will arrive promptly at whatever time you choose. The hotel is also right around the corner from the WWII museum, definitely worth the trip... I thought the museum was amazing.

Overall, I had a great time in NO and loved my stay at this hotel. Would definitely come again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Annie,

Thank you very much for your positive review! We are glad that you enjoyed your trip to New Orleans and got to see some of the activities around the hotel.

Please come back soon and contact us directly. We offer a special offer to repeat guests.

Happy Mardi Gras Season! A parade is about to roll down St. Charles Ave. tonight.
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Booked thru hotels.com for $100 for the evening of 01/05/2013 got to hotel a little early about 11am and just expected them to hold our bags until check in time but they went ahead and checked us in early and upgraded our room. Staff was amazingly friendly. Very large flat screen tv. Bed was more comfortable than my sleep number at home. Bus is a straight shot down to bourbon street. We left the next day on our cruise which the hotel is extremely close to the cruise ship pier. Overall it was a great stay and if I ever get back to New Orleans would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, January 22, 2013

Please contact us directly next time you plan to visit New Orleans and inquire about our special discount for repeat guests.
Charleston, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This hotel should have been great. Great location and I found a deal on Travelzoo that let me book this hotel for an affordable price for a conference I was attending in New Orleans. Upon check in the valet staff was very nice and helpful. The front desk staff was a different story. The employees did not seem very knowledgeable about what they needed to process the check in on the Travelzoo vouchers. The check in process took around 15 minutes for 2 couples.
The rooms are actually nice - well designed for small space. I was impressed with the design and especially the bathroom. The bathroom is a decent size, had a full tub and counter space which is a commodity in smaller hotel rooms. The beds were nice and were spacious enough for a couple. The hotel has wifi which is a plus.
The travelzoo vouchers specifically said they included 'The American Breakfast' which was listed on the menu. None of the people working in the dining room seemed to be aware of the deal that was offered. I went to the front desk to see if they had some idea of what was supposed to be included and I waited at the empty front desk for about 15 minutes and left. In the meantime my travel partners had flagged someone in management from the kitchen down. When we pointed out the discrepancy, he snatched the papers from us and said he would have to go upstairs. After 45 minutes the situation was sorted out and we got breakfast. The breakfast was just okay, my scrambled eggs were good but my travel partners got over-easy eggs and they were all undercooked. They do have some really nice grits - those are recommended.
Day 2 of breakfast did not go any better. We sat down and the waitress was purposefully ignoring us that morning. We watched her greet other people, clean off dirty tables (even though the restaurant wasn't busy) and take orders from people that arrived after us. I again went to the front desk and the gentleman working the front desk went to say something to the waitress. He asked her to take our order and within hearing distance of us we heard her huff and puff and snap "I'm trying". She was not very professional and clearly should not be in a hospitality position. The bus boy ended up being our server that day and he was nice and polite. Day 3 we abandoned the attempt to get breakfast since we were apparently bothering the staff so much.
Other notes on this hotel:
- it is very noisy. The people on the street you can hear, fire doors slam, and on Saturday nights the hotel bar plays music which can be heard up in the guest rooms.
- There is no ice or vending. If you follow all the signs that say 'ice' or 'vending' you find storage closets. If you look on the documentation provided in the room, it does say there is no ice or vending. We did not check this until after we followed the signs.
- there is no in room coffee and they are frequently out of coffee downstairs. I don't care about coffee but my husband really likes to have coffee available all day long and this was not an option here.
- The bird was cute but the front desk staff seemed more focused on quieting the bird down than helping the people in the lobby. Also, the front desk could use a bell or something. There were a few times where there was no one at the front desk and no way of getting their attention.

Overall, I felt that this hotel was more focused on being trendy than delivering hospitality. I would have preferred a little more hospitality and a little less trend. Also, the staff need to be aware of the terms of a travel deal if the hotel intends to offer them in the future. Finally, the hotel is very noisy and that is a serious on-going issue that should be corrected.

Room Tip: Ask for one far away from the courtyard bar and on the back side of the hotel for the quietest optio...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

We apologize for all of the inconveniences caused during your stay. Please contact me directly at miguel@thehotelmodern.com or (504) 962-0900 in order to learn more about your experience.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We recently booked a small room for two nights. While there were things we really liked about our stay - the decor, the friendly staff, the location - the feeling that we walked away with was negative. We were on the second floor, directly above the bar. We noticed early in our stay that the walls to our room seemed a little thin; we were able to hear people's conversations in the rooms around us at times, but it wasn't to a point that we would complain. Unfortunately for us, we did not read the review on this site before staying at the hotel. We did not know how bad it would be to stay in a room above the bar! Sometime right after we fell asleep, they began playing music in the courtyard below. The walls were vibrating, and we could understand the lyrics from inside our room with the doors closed!! We could not go back to bed until after two. At that time, they turned the speakers in the courtyard off, but still had loud music playing inside. In addition to the fact that we could not sleep, the air conditioner seemed to have some sort of sensor, which prevented it from running unless we were able to periodically wave our hands in front of it. While we were sleeping, it stopped running, and we were quite hot when we woke up. It would have been nice to know about the noise level ahead of time. I'm not sure whether the rooms that are higher up avoid the worst of the noise, but I agree with the previous review that if you stay here you should not stay in a room in the 200 level.

Dear Franchesca,

We apologize for any inconvenience caused during your stay. Please contact me directly at miguel@thehotelmodern.com or (504) 962-0900 in order to learn more about your experience.

We will note your reservation to ensure that you get a room in the main building on your next visit.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I booked a room in this hotel last minute in order to escape the awful conditions of another hotel that I had booked in advance. What a relief! I was on a budget and was pleasantly surprised by the reasonable price and the atmosphere of the hotel--also love Scarlett the parrot. The staff was friendly. The room had minimalist decor, but was quite comfortable. The location was great-right on Lee circle. A number of museums and galleries are right around the corner and the French quarter is about a 15 to 20 minute walk. Just a few things that are a bit inconsistent and could be improved. The hotel offers free internet access, but I had a lousy connection in my room. The cleaning staff did not come every day. The rooms could have a few more amenities (like a coffee machine). And the front desk staff were mostly in their twenties (college students?) and could have been trained a bit better in terms of giving advice and suggestions to guests who are visitors to New Orleans. Overall, however, I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: The rooms have a nice view of Lee circle.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your valuable feedback and for taking the time to review your experience at the Hotel Modern. I am happy to announce that we are in the process of installing Keurig coffee makers in all of our rooms. On your next visit, you will be able to enjoy a nice cup of coffee from your bed.

Been to The Hotel Modern? Share your experiences!