“Great hotel with great views.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel Modern

Save Saved
You added The Hotel Modern to your Saves list
The Hotel Modern
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   936 St. Charles Avenue, At Lee Circle, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #62 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Austin, Texas
“Great hotel with great views.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I was in New Orleans for the Final Four and stayed at The Modern Hotel on St. Charles Ave. It is a very service oriented hotel and all of the staff was super nice. The rooms were a little small but not too small and very well decorated. The beds were super comfortable and everything was super clean. The only down side was that the wireless internet was down for a large portion of the time that we were there. The explanation was that the whole city was online about the Final Four and the city wasn't equipped to handle the load. That was a ridiculous answer and thus why I gave four stars instead of five. I didn't have problems getting online any where else I was in the city so the staff person was making excuses but had no clue what he was talking about. They have valet parking for $38 which is a little high but you can drive and park as much as you want. There is a Premium Parking lot just around the block that you can park for 24 hours for $25. That is what we did and had no problems. The rooms are a little more expensive that we usually pay but for the Final Four experience of being in the city it was worth it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
At The Hotel Modern, it is our goal to provide you with an entire pleasant experience. We are pleased you found our staff friendly and our rooms comfortable. We appreciate your feedback in regards to our wireless services, we understand the importance of it. While it is not a recurrent issue, it is being assessed to ensure it works to its full capability at all times. Please forgive us for the answer we offered.
We are looking forward to hosting you next time you visit our great city!

Magda Chappetta

383 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Queens, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night, the hotel was supposed to be charged to my client's card since he reserved it and used his card to reserve it. When I checked in the hotel, lobby person assured me it was only for incidentals. When I checked my bank statement I figured the charge was temporary, 2 weeks ago by and the charge was still on my card. I called them and explained the situation and they didn't show any care whatsoever. The person on the phone didn't do anything to help and said I'm sorry for the misunderstanding but we can't do anything to help you.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
HotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Dear guest, please accept our sincere apologies for the manner in which we handled this situation.

We did not communicate during the greeting process, the fact that the cardholder is required to be present unless prior arrangements have been made.

At the Hotel Modern, we take pride on our friendly and responsive staff. We are sorry we failed you. We will emphasize on being consistent.

Please reach out to me and I will be glad to further look into this billing issue.

I hope you enjoyed your stay and that you will consider giving us another opportunity.

Magda Chappetta
Guayama, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012 via mobile

Is a unique hotel, the front desk is a peculiar table no computer. The service it's the best and for welcome drink serving wine. The rooms are very modern and clean. I recommend 100%

• Stayed March 2012
Orlando, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Modern recently for a long weekend in New Orleans. The location was conveniently located right on the St. Charles Streetcar line with great view of Lee Circle from our window. Check-in and check-out were super easy and relaxed, and parking was very convenient, with a self-park lot located right behind the hotel. Rooms were very cute and tastefully decorated, but a bit on the small side. We had a "medium" sized room, which consisted of a king bed, with a tiny nightstand on one side and a little computer cart on the other. At the foot of the bed was one armchair and a long combination TV stand/dresser/desk. There was a tiny closet and a little bench in the hallway, but the bathroom was fairly large and really nice. The TV was a fairly large flat screen, but it wasn't worth watching due to the lousy reception. No coffee makers in the rooms and no ice machines on the floors was something else they need to work on. You could get coffee at the restaurant downstairs, but a 16-oz cup that was only about 2/3 even full cost me almost $4.00. After the first morning, we just went elsewhere for coffee. There was a coffee shop a couple of blocks away that had better coffee for half the price. Staff would bring up these huge champagne buckets of ice if you requested it, but it was a bit of overkill and the buckets would sweat so much that everything on the dresser was wet in the morning. We did enjoy the little courtyard area between the hotel and the bar because the weather was nice and management allowed us to bring our own wine out there to entertain some other friends in town. We were told that the hotel had just changed ownership/management and I think once they iron out the kinks, it's going to be an awesome place. Even with the small aggravations we experience, I would definitely return to this fun and funky hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

Beautifully done, amazing bathrooms, great beds, and a great location. The front desk staff were always very helpful and were the wait staff.

Only issues I had: the doormen who were never actually at the door (they would appear only after you entered or exited). The musty dampness as you walk into your room if the air hasn't been on in quite a while. In fact, my clothes would take on a horrible smell as a result. No hair dryers or ironing boards. I also had to request a phone, a clock, and other basics as none of them were in my room when I arrived. When I had a hair dryer requested, they gave me a broken one.

Be aware that, yes, the rooms are tiny, but the bathrooms are quite large. That said, I don't think the pricing for this hotel was entirely worth it; but again, it is a great location and very stylish in it's decor, and clean.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

From the moment you enter the lobby - the hotel has a nice vibe. The front desk is efficient and very nice. The bellhop was knowledgable and gave us some great ideas on things to do. The room was very clean and inviting.

The WW11 musuem is within walking distance worth the trip. If you are going on a cruise the hotel is not to far from the docks. Of you are going to the French Quarter you can take the trolley literally in front of the hotel.

We would definitely go back!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Maryland Heights
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Modern for a long weekend in NOLA and will definitely be back. The hotel sits right on Lee CIrcle in the Arts District aka the Warehouse District. The hotel itself is in great shape with a very modern, "hip" feel to it. There's even a parrot, Scarlet, in the lobby. The lobby feels like you've walked into someone's private library rather than a hotel.

My room was on the 8th floor and while small, was perfect for thr weekend. This is New Orleans so you're probably not staying in your room much. The bathroom was fine for one although if two people were trying to get ready, it might be a squeeze due to the small sink and ledge vs. a countertop. The bed was very comfortable and I had no problems sleeping at night. They even provide an umbrella in the room to use although thankfully I never needed it.

The location is very convenient. I love to walk, so walking form the hotel to the French Quarter was not a problem. If you don't want to walk, the St. Charles streetcar runs right past the hotel so you have easy access out to he Garden District or down to Canal where you can walk into the Quarter or connect with the Canal line.

Nearby you have great attractions like the WWII Museum, the Contemporary Arts Center, galleries, etc. and much, much more nearby. Great food is everywhere in New Orleans and you have places like Cochon, Cochon Butcher, Capdeville, American Sector, and the Soda Shop (great breakfast biscuits!) in the area and so much more.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Hotel Modern? Share your experiences!