“Second stay: even better than the first” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   330 Loyola Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #58 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
New York City, New York
“Second stay: even better than the first”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Downtown - Superdome last year when I was attending a convention in the French Quarter, and it was perfectly nice, standard Holiday Inn with friendly and accommodating staff. Hotwire got me a pretty good deal again for this year's iteration of the convention, and I was pleased to find that I knew the hotel from my previous stay.

Since my last stay, though, the hotel has undergone a comprehensive renovation. Hallways are newly carpeted and I think painted, while guest rooms are much nicer with stylish decor and furniture (dark gray and red walls with Warhol prints!) and feel bigger. Lots of counter/desktop space, lots of electrical outlets (which most hotels don't seem to have), big flatscreen TV. There was construction outside (I believe they're putting in a new streetcar line on Loyola Street), but we didn't hear a thing.

The blackout curtains certainly do darken the room: a couple times I got up and dressed in the dark because my travel companions were still asleep...and then was shocked by how bright it was when I got outside!

My travel companions enjoyed the guest laundry facilities and the swimming pool, though I didn't get a chance to use either. We parked a car for our stay, and though expensive ($26.75 I believe), the convenience of not parking someplace cheaper (and having full 24/7 in & out access) was worth it.

We extended our Hotwire reservation by a day because we found ourselves near the hotel earlier than we expected. That worked fine, except we had to check out and check back into the same hotel (though that took literally about thirty seconds to receive new key cards; not bad at all.) The front desk blocked off the room for the entire duration of the stay when I mentioned this, so we wouldn't have to change rooms, which we appreciated.

All the staff was incredibly helpful, especially Brad at the front desk (who broke $20 bills for me a couple of times so I could take the bus/streetcar) and Oswald at the bell desk, who cheerfully helped us with our many heavy bags and gave us good restaurant recommendations besides. But I feel like I shouldn't single anyone out, since everyone was so very friendly. We had no problems during the stay, with the possible exception of needing more towels a couple times, but our requests were instantly filled. (Also, the previous occupants had left a plastic wand of soap bubbles in the room, which was left alone by the housekeepers.)

The shuttle service to the cruise port would be useful if it went more places, but if you're going there I can see how it'd be very helpful. It's about a ten-minute walk to the Quarter, and while the terrain can be very quiet -- downright deserted on some blocks -- I never felt unsafe. There are 24-hour drugstores and convenience stores close to the hotel, and I was glad that our room had a fridge for storing the drinks I brought along, which were very nice to have after a long day of imbibing.

At any rate, I'd unquestioningly recommend this hotel as a great value in downtown New Orleans, and one of the most consistent places I've stayed there.

Room Tip: The eighth floor looks out onto the pool and may possibly be louder, though I haven't stayed on...

698 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Polish first
Jupiter, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Hotel was clean and well kept up. Friendly, helpful staff, Comfortable room. Only two minor complaints -- couldn't get the wi-fi to work and the elevator service is very slow. Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there agin.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Tupelo, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Overall, it was a good deal-nothing too fancy, but I would definitely stay again. I went to NOLA to celebrate my 21st birthday, and stayed two nights with a group of friends. It is about a 10-15 minute walk to Bourbon street, but it wasn't bad. I walked both during the day and at 3am and nobody bothered us. I would not recommend walking alone anywhere in NOLA, but that is just me... with my friends it was fine, and even if I had to walk it alone, I doubt anything would have happened. I didn't even see any suspicious activity.

Pros: comfortable beds, clean, spacious rooms, close to canal street-yet away from the noise, good price, modern look, in-room refrigerator/microwave, price (I booked on Hotwire and it was about half the cost of everything else near that area)

Cons: elevators are VERY slow and there are not enough of them to service 18 floors worth of people, difficult to get special requests, pool was always filled with kids, expensive parking-$25/day (but it IS NOLA, so parking isn't going to be cheap anyhow)

The only issue I had was when I first checked in and they wouldn't give me two rooms next to each other. I booked 2 rooms when I made the reservation and I had called twice before the trip and made the request for the rooms to be next to each other. They said, "sorry, we are too full to get two rooms even close together" (and they were full, but I had called several weeks and even that morning to confirm my request had been entered). Once I asked the manager, however, she was able to get my two rooms next to each other-so if you have any special requests, be prepared to stand your ground and talk to a manager.

Overall, it was a great value and I am glad we stayed there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Tulsa, OK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in July. Our air conditioner was very loud and moldy and didn't work well. It took two nights of bad sleep for it to be replaced. It was truly obvious to anyone that it should have been taken care of long ago.

The elevators were very slow and really put a damper on our time. The staff is constantly using the 4 elevators(usually only 3 worked), so there wasn't room for the guests. MANY times we had to wait on the 3rd or 4th elevator to come. A LOT of wasted time.

The people at the front desk seem like they have heard all the complaints before and are tired of hearing it. I have stayed at many other hotels in this area without any of these problems, so why choose it?

Royersford, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding with family & friends. The hotel staff were very helpful & pleasant. The rooms were fairly updated and very clean.
The one complaint is that there air - conditioning system in the room & hotel itself is not very cooling. There are also no vents in the bathroom to help while taking a shower. The location is great - you can even walk to Bourbon Street. I am so very happy to see that in 5 years - they have come along way and still have a long way to go. Good Luck to all in NOLA! For the price of the room - it is a good place to stay.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary. I negotiated for the room on price line and was initially disappointed when I realized I paid $180.00 for a room at the Holiday Inn. When we arrived I seen how clean and updated the hotel was, and how helpful and friendly the staff was. I love that there was an Andy Warhol print in the room. I would absolutely stay at this hotel again. We felt completely safe walking back to the hotel @ midnight from Bourbon st. (Which I was a bit concerned about).

Marina del Rey, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We got into New Orleans a night earlier than planned and had to grab a hotel for a short night's sleep. This hotel was selling for about $60 on Hotwire. For that price, it was an absolute bargain. It's a solid three star hotel, near the Superdome and within walking distance of the Quarter. It's older, or at least it feels that way. As I recall the hallways had carpeted walls. The room was decent but had an old style wall unit air conditioner and there was no happy medium on climate. If you were within a three or four foot radius of the unit, it was blasting cold, but even still the rest of the room was warm and muggy. Of course, that's more to do with the city than the AC, but it would have been somewhat unpleasant for more than a night. The bottom line is that if New Orleans is a dream destination for you, aim higher in your choice of hotel, and if you are there on business with the client paying, there are better options. If you are looking for an inexpensive place to sleep off the night, and you don't expect to be in the room much, consider the Holiday Inn as long as the rate is in double digits. You could do worse.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome? Share your experiences!