I stayed at the Holiday Inn Downtown - Superdome last year when I was attending a convention in the French Quarter, and it was perfectly nice, standard Holiday Inn with friendly and accommodating staff. Hotwire got me a pretty good deal again for this year's iteration of the convention, and I was pleased to find that I knew the hotel from my previous stay.
Since my last stay, though, the hotel has undergone a comprehensive renovation. Hallways are newly carpeted and I think painted, while guest rooms are much nicer with stylish decor and furniture (dark gray and red walls with Warhol prints!) and feel bigger. Lots of counter/desktop space, lots of electrical outlets (which most hotels don't seem to have), big flatscreen TV. There was construction outside (I believe they're putting in a new streetcar line on Loyola Street), but we didn't hear a thing.
The blackout curtains certainly do darken the room: a couple times I got up and dressed in the dark because my travel companions were still asleep...and then was shocked by how bright it was when I got outside!
My travel companions enjoyed the guest laundry facilities and the swimming pool, though I didn't get a chance to use either. We parked a car for our stay, and though expensive ($26.75 I believe), the convenience of not parking someplace cheaper (and having full 24/7 in & out access) was worth it.
We extended our Hotwire reservation by a day because we found ourselves near the hotel earlier than we expected. That worked fine, except we had to check out and check back into the same hotel (though that took literally about thirty seconds to receive new key cards; not bad at all.) The front desk blocked off the room for the entire duration of the stay when I mentioned this, so we wouldn't have to change rooms, which we appreciated.
All the staff was incredibly helpful, especially Brad at the front desk (who broke $20 bills for me a couple of times so I could take the bus/streetcar) and Oswald at the bell desk, who cheerfully helped us with our many heavy bags and gave us good restaurant recommendations besides. But I feel like I shouldn't single anyone out, since everyone was so very friendly. We had no problems during the stay, with the possible exception of needing more towels a couple times, but our requests were instantly filled. (Also, the previous occupants had left a plastic wand of soap bubbles in the room, which was left alone by the housekeepers.)
The shuttle service to the cruise port would be useful if it went more places, but if you're going there I can see how it'd be very helpful. It's about a ten-minute walk to the Quarter, and while the terrain can be very quiet -- downright deserted on some blocks -- I never felt unsafe. There are 24-hour drugstores and convenience stores close to the hotel, and I was glad that our room had a fridge for storing the drinks I brought along, which were very nice to have after a long day of imbibing.
At any rate, I'd unquestioningly recommend this hotel as a great value in downtown New Orleans, and one of the most consistent places I've stayed there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy a refreshed Holiday Inn! Visit the recipient of the Customer Service Excellence award by IHG. Rooms feature Simmons pillow top mattresses and new pillow options. Relax in our courtesy area shuttle. Savor fresh coffee and pastries daily. Stay connected with FREE wireless. Plunge in our large rooftop pool and energize in our fitness center. Our full service property offers tantalizing meals morning, noon and night. Adult beverage options showcased in our Mardi Gras Lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo, Priceline and IHG so you can book your Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome Hotel New Orleans
- Downtown Superdome Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn New Orleans
- New Orleans Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Superdome