“Great hotel, great location, good customer-service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 South Peters Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Lower Garden District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Park and Play
Ranked #52 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Atlanta
“Great hotel, great location, good customer-service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a medical convention. The location is excellent, near the Convention Center, National D-Day Museum, Harrah's Casino, and a short taxi-ride or 20 minute walk to the French Quarter. Rooms are spacious and clean, staff is friendly. Great customer-service, nice lobby.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

463 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

4 days after checking out of this place I notice that my online banking shows this hotel received their money yet they are still holding an additional $180.00 frozen on my account. Numerous phone calls from myself & a conference call with my bank still has them refusing to release the hold. Hiltons' accounting department verified the amount owed was the exact amount that was already deducted from my account and "suggested" I wait 3-5 more business days to see if the hold drops off or not. The bank representative told her that all she needed to do was verify she was not owed more than what had already been deducted from my account but she refused to do so. Customer Service/Management is a joke at this place!!! Do not use a bank/credit card at this place unless you plan on having twice that amount deducted from your account.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
TWelch, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center, responded to this review, April 3, 2010
I appreciate you taking time to create awareness around your experience. I can understand your frustration based on your comments and apologize that you were unable to get a resolution with our accounting department. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you so I can get additional details and assure resolution. Please contact 504-525-0044 and ask for the General Manager.
Louisiana, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

First of all, let me say I received a really great rate for this hotel on Hotwire, which may be the root of my problem. On check in, I was registered by an aloof female, bordering on rude, and I kept waiting for her to roll her eyes whenever I said anything, but she was able to control herself - barely, so it seems. The rooms are fantasic - fridge, microwave, free wireless, large and clean. Room Service is extremely expensive, slow, and the order was inaccurate, but we eventually got it straight after a few trips. Again, when calling to inquire about our hour late dinner, I encountered a very hostile female over the phone - "We are very busy now!!" Didn't care that I had some hungry children. Over an hour is way too long to wait, especially since we ordered early and they were not busy when we ordered. One word of caution though, the menus in the rooms must be old, the prices were more expensive (few dollars per entree) and they "no longer served" several items on the menu. I would return again if I got a good rate, because the rooms are fine, and the hotel is very well kept - I just appreciate good manners and professionalism, which I did not find here 50-60% of the time.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

After a year of staying in hotels (50, I think), this hotel was a pleasant surprise. Staff at the front desk were pleasant, prompt and helpful. The hotel is clean and modern, and has good facilities. It is only a block away from the Convention Center. Rooms are large, clean and much quieter than where I have stayed in New Orleans before. Room service was of good quality, if a little slow on one busy night. Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel if you are in New Orleans for a convention. Yes, it is some distance to the French Quarter - but at night most people will want to catch a taxi anyway.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Potomac, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 7 nights at the end of October. The first 5 were for business the last two were vacation time. I picked this hotel based on the recommendations posted here and its location close to the convention center.
A note about the Convention Center: though this hotel seems to be the closest, that Convention Center is HUGE. It may have taken me 5 min to walk to it, but since my meeting was held at the far end, another 10 min or more time was need to get where I needed to go along with 6,000 others.
This hotel was a disappointment for me. With business travel I have become a fan of Hilton hotels compared to other chains and the recommendations on here led me to believe this would live up to my other Hilton experiences in other Garden Inns and Embassy Suites. Not so. The front desk staff was disorganized for check in and there was not big line waiting, just me and one other person. I am a Hilton Honors member and they failed to inform me that I could get 2 complimentary waters per day from the pantry or give me them at check in. I was told by another guest. My room was 642. Ok in size and facing the rear of the hotel, into the small courtyard. This was a quiet room with the exception of the night club- Metropolitan- that is in the warehouse directly behind the hotel. At night, even from the 6th floor, the pounding of music, loud talk, etc could be heard. It was muffled enough most of the time by my room height to not be bothersome, but I would not want to have been on a lower floor facing that.
This was supposed to be an Evolution Room with this fantastic bed and bedding. I don't think adjusting the bed firmness worked and the sheets were thin, scratchy and would had black marks on them, even after new sheets were put on. I like that they try to be more green by giving you the option to have your sheets changed by putting the card on the bed, but I lacked instructions in the bathroom as to how they handle towels. From another guest, I know their bathroom contained instructions. They would also better serve the "greening" world by offering a different brand of toiletries.
The carpets in this hotel, especially the hallways, desperately need to be replaced. They are stained and dirty. I know many would say, "What do you expect in New Orleans? A place that is a party all the time!", but this is the Central Business District, not the French Quarter. A $200+ a night Hilton hotel. That caters to business travelers. No excuse. I was in a non-smoking room but had smoke smell coming into the room from either the smoking floor below (2nd floor) or a misbehaving guest. I did not realize this hotel still had a smoking floor and will avoid hotels that do if at all possible in the future. When I complained to the front desk, they were nice about it, but nothing could really be done except change my room. I figured smoke from the smoking floor was not going to choose rooms, so I stayed in the room I had already settled in to. You have to pay per day for use of the safe, but the internet access was free and a very welcome amenity. The fitness center was in a temporary location and I did not use it or the pool.
Breakfast was overpriced and not all that great, though the staff was very friendly. The coffee was absolutely awful every day.
Go to Café du Monde, Jacques Imo's, Gumbo Shop, Acme Oyster Bar, Mother's for some great food and ambiance....unfortunately none of these are very close to the hotel. Nearby is a great little pizza place called Pi (the mathematical symbol) and Pasta. The Riverwalk Streetcar is not too far away and will take you into the French Quarter. If you walk, it could take 20-30min depending on where you are trying to get to in the French Quarter.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

Excellent location for attending a conference at the Morial convention Center. Very happy with this choice. Very friendly and helpful staff. Every request was met-re restaurant reservations, tours booked last minute, restaurant suggestions in the area.
CJ was always smiling and so helpful at the front desk. Only thing to note that the hotel is in the Warehouse district-very quiet and most times secluded. Walked with ny girlfriend to the French Quarter, walked to trolleys. Never felt in danger. If you are attending a conference and love walking- this is the place for you. We also enjiyed the roof-top(4th floor) swimming pool and hot tub. Breakfasrt at the hotel was very complete at $10.99 if you have a large appetite. If not, go to Deanie's near by. Great lunch at Cochon, also near by. You can also grab a luch at the 3rd floor Riverwalk Mall , when at the convention center. I had free access to the business center- computers and printer.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

The HGI-Convention Center is a short walk to the French Quarter and CBD, and obviously right across the street from the Morial Convention Center. That was the primary reason I stayed there the first time, in July 2008, and then again in May 2009.

Two factors made both of my stays outstanding. First, the value of the hotel compared to the price. Rooms at this HGI routinely go for 50% or 75% less than lower-quality places in the Quarter. Why pay more when it's just a short walk and you're not in the room much anyway?

The second, and more impressive, factor was the tremendous service quality. I have stayed in many properties for business and leisure and would rate the service at this HGI among the top 3 "chain" properties I have visited. Not only is the service prompt, courteous, efficient, and without fail satisfactory, but the extra touches (fruit and cheese plate delivered to my room upon check-in?? complimentary and without request? free wi-fi, gym, fridge in the room, 24-hour coffee, etc.) go a long way. I am a Hilton HHonors silver status member, nothing special, but they treated me like a platinum member.

I will continue to use the HGI for trips to New Orleans.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo

Been to Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center? Share your experiences!