“Rooms smell like mildew & staff is RUDE!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center

You added Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 South Peters Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Lower Garden District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
WWII Museum & Parking
Ranked #58 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
San Jose, California
“Rooms smell like mildew & staff is RUDE!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

We are diamond members but the staff can careless who anybody is! Extremely RUDE & kitchen including room service closes @ 9pm no matter how full the bar/restaurant is..I had gumbo for lunch which closes @ 1:00 instead of 2:00 like most places & there was alot of shrimp but there was so much salt I couldn't eat it..the so called "pantry" wasn't stocked & none of the staff seemed to care less! I will b calling The Hilton Honors to complain & will NEVER stay here again even if they have us the room for free! It's close to the convention center but it's a hike to The Quarter & to restaurants..I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed January 2013
Kate R, Assistant to General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am truly sorry that you had a regrettable experience with some aspects of our hotel including our staff not providing you with the level of customer service you deserve, especially during your breakfast. Your review is incredibly valuable to us here and I have personally spoken to our staff regarding your comments, and reviewed them with our general manager. We will work to address and resolve all these matters with our staff.
Again, I sincerely apologize about your breakfast experience and that you had a disappointing stay at our hotel. I hope that next time you are in town, you give us another opportunity to provide you with the exceptional service you deserve. Thank you once again for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
New Haven, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The hotel offers nice, clean, spacious rooms and is conveniently located. Parking costs extra but that is to be expected in the area. The valet parking guys were nice, but at the reception desk I was informed that our reservation had been canceled because (it turned out) they had mixed up my credit card data. They did restore my reservation, however.

What will make the stay unforgettable is the breakfast staff, which seems to be a sullen circus troupe without training of any sort. They were unfriendly, insensitive, unattentive, slow, and rarely managed to serve a drink without spilling part of it on the table or our clothes. The buffet was perpetually out of dishes, and many of the glasses and cups were extremely dirty. The breakfast is a disgrace to the chain--stay away from it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kate R, Assistant to the General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I truly regret that you had a disappointing experience with some aspects of our hotel including our staff not providing you with the level of customer service you deserve. Your feedback is incredibly important to us and I can assure you that I have personally spoken to our staff regarding your comments. We will work with the food and beverage staff to ensure that this carefully reviewed and resolve any issues. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve.

Again, I sincerely apologize and I hope that next time you are in town, you give us another opportunity to provide you with the exceptional service you deserve. Thank you once again for your comments.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here while in New Orleans to celebrate The New Year. I normally stay at the Hilton Garden Inn on Gravier Sreet or another chain on Gravier Street because they are very close to the quarters.

The front desk attendants were very nice and helpful. The only complaint I have is the comfort of the beds. The mattress was very firm which I loved, but the pillows were very uncomfortable. I cannot sleep flat and no matter how many pillows I stacked, they still ended up being flat. I woke up both nights of my stay with a terrible back ache.

Also while having breakfast one morning, which by the way is delicious, one of the servers commented, about too many people coming in with coupons. We purchased a package that included breakfast. I thought her comment was pretty unprofessional even though she tried to say it jokingly. It shouldn't matter how patrons are paying as long as the patrons are paying and pay gratuity.

Other than that our stay was good. If you are ever traveling for business at the convention center, this hotel is the perfect location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We're happy you enjoyed our friendly desk attendants and location. It is unfortunate that you had a negative experience with our bed and I apologize for that. We have the brand standard Garden Sleep System beds, which has a dial to adjust the firmness to every guest's preferences and our front desk typically mentions this upon check-in. I'm sorry if this was not done in your case and will ensure that this will be reviewed with the front desk staff. Additionally, we do have other kinds of pillows, which our housekeeping staff would be happy to provide to you! The F&B Director has also taken note of your breakfast experience and we will mention it to our staff. Again, thank you for your review.
Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Vallet parking is $28 and they greet you right at curbside. The hotel is nice. Check in was easy and the front desk attendants were friendly. The hotel is clean and the room is nicely decorated. The beds are very firm. My family of four fit fine in the double standard room. Window view looked right out front of hotel. My only complaint is the noise. The walls are paper thin. We heard the conversations the neighbors had. They were very loud. I called front desk to ask for the manager on duty to ask the loud guest to not be so loud. It was 11 pm. Nothing was done because they did not stop being loud until 3 am. I will not stay here again due to the noise. It kept us up all night. On check out I was asked "how was your stay?" I informed the check-out attendant about the noise and she said "We hear that all the time." So, if you are looking for a quite place to stay, this is not it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kate R, Assistant to the General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We're glad you found the service so friendly! We also apologize for the noise you encountered during your stay and we're sorry that you were not offered to move to one of our quieter rooms or other alternatives that we have to alleviate noise level,
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

From the time the taxi dropped us off, we were greated with warmth and smiles. We had a double Queen room with a microwave and small refrigerator. It also had a desk, which was great because while I tagged along with my husband for a convention, I had to work and the desk space was perfect!! We had the bed & breakfast deal, which for 2, was only $15 - $20 more a night. You really weren't waited on, but there was staff there to refill your coffee. You went up to order your breakfast and could get eggs cooked any way, then they had gravy, boudin, bacon, sausage, mushrooms turkey sausage patties, etc... All kinds of breads/danish/yogurt/milk/fresh fruit/cereals and condiments were available. You could also make your own waffles. All in all, a nice spread. In the evening they offer free cookies and lemonade. Coffee, tea and hot chocolate was also available pretty much all day, free of charge. One HUGE con: the first night we went down to the bar and ordered 2 doubles to the tune of $39! Yes, $9 a drink! I went to the local liquor store the next day to buy a bottle for the week. The big bottle of Skye was $42.99 (we pay $22 for the same in Houston), but the Taaka and Smirnoff were the same cost. Do yourself a favor and stop before you get to the Quarter and get your alcohol and mixers before you arrive! I missed housekeeping twice because I was working and they had no problem when I asked them to clean the room one day at 3. The customer service was just really outstanding! It's a non smoking hotel, but they have a 'Smoker's Oasis' out the back entrance that was nice and peaceful. I even ate breakfast out there one morning. The beds have great pillows and cushy comforters and sleep was dreamy!! The view isn't great, but if you can ignore the buildings and see the sunrise past the bridge, it's beautiful! It's a walk to Bourbon street, but the taxi ride back is cheap so it's all good. I'd stay here again if doing a convention, which is a block from here! The gym is nice with tv's on each machine and plenty of free weights. The pool is heated but I didn't make it up there... All in all, great experience!

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor facing the convention center so we cleared the building obstruction. You s...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough review!
Bowie, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

A little surprised about some of negative reviews... Every single person I came into contact with was nothing but stellar.

I am a Hilton Honors Silver member and got a welcome bag of goodies when I checked in, and was afforded a late check out.

Cory at the front desk and a female staff member who was decorating the lobby with Christmas tree during my stay were especially helpful with requests that I had (many as they were). True professionals!

Everyone - from conference services to the front desk - delivered service with a smile and was pleasant to deal with.

Ate in the restaurant the first day of my stay for breakfast and lunch - and loved it there, too. All you can eat in the morning, with made-to-order Omlettes... Delicious!

Parking is valet only and was a little steep at almost $30/night -- but that seems like the going rate, with the hotel only a couple miles from the heart of downtown and Bourbon Street.

The only other thing I'll say is that the beds are really firm... not too soft. So beware of falling on the bed after a long day of work or play... Ouch!

Overall - I loved this place and would stay again... primarily because of the people.

• Stayed December 2012
Kate R, Assistant to the General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thanks for your response! We are so happy that you enjoyed our stay, especially our fabulous staff. We do like to give our HHonors members goodie bags, whether you're Blue or Diamond!
Corpus Christi, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Me and my wife stayed here during the Thanksgiving weekend. The hotel is in a pretty good location, not far from the French Quarter but far enough away you won't hear all the sounds from the crowds. I think the room was a lil over priced but they have a good restaurant and a bar downstairs. The beds weren't that comforatable in my opinion, when my wife woke up her back was sore from the mattress. i've stayed in much nicer hotels in New Orleans but it was a last minute and due to it being Bayou Classic weekend, all the hotels were booked.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We appreciate your mention of our lovely restaurant and wonderful location.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center? Share your experiences!