“True New Orleans” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Green House Inn

You added Green House Inn to your Saves list
Green House Inn
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   1212 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Lower Garden District)   |
Special Offer
Free Off Street Parking
Ranked #19 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
“True New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2008

I lived in New Orleans for many years and moved away 2 years before Hurricane Katrina. When I go back to this magical city, I ALWAYS, ALWAYS stay at The Green House Inn. There are many reasons for this. First and foremost, the Inn is a beautifully stunning building that is over 100 years old. It is New Orleans through and through. When I am in New Orleans, I want to feel like I am back home in the city I love so much. The Greenhouse makes me feel welcome. The rooms are nicely decorated and very comfortable, and the pool grounds are as lush and tropical as any rainforest.
I can walk to the Arts District, the French Quarter ( or take an inexpensive 5 min cab ride there ) and the St. Charles street car is just 2 blocks away. The bar across from the Inn is full of friendly locals who live in the neighborhood. GREAT CHERRY MOJITOS !!!! The Green House Inn's owner, Jesse, is a true southern gentleman that goes out of his way to ensure you will love New Orleans as much as he does. Dickey, the house manager, is a vibrant delight!!! His easy manner and frequent laughter will have you comfortable in no time.
I believe, as a traveler, that good places should be rewarded with loyal guests and kind words. The Green House Inn is one of these places. Go there, you'll be glad you did.
Also, Steuben ( a kind and gentle German Shepard) will gladly offer up his beloved football to play with anyone who will play with him.
Once you go to this fantastic city, you will understand the phrase
" Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans? "
Have fun, Trip Seekers !!!!!

• Liked — It is for real. A true New Orleans experience
  • Disliked — I ate too many blueberry muffins they put out each morning, lol .
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Milton, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2008

Just returned from a terrific week in New Orleans, for Mardi Gras. Stayed at the Greenhouse Inn and loved it. Beautiful property and pool with very spacious rooms. The owner, Jessie, and his manager Dickie were so hospitable and helpful.

I loved the beautiful peaceful pool and yard and lounge area. Felt like I entered another world after coming back from the parades and the French Quarter. Walked just a couple of blocks to the parade routes so I got to enjoy five of them. Could also walk to the French Quarter but that did take about ten minutes or take the trolley. Also discovered the joys of the Garden District. Just walked down the street a few times to gawk at the great architecture and now that the streetcars were running again, just walked over to that line, two blocks and went uptown as well. Such a convenient location, but quiet and not in the thick of all the hoopla and bar scene.

The Greenhouse Inn is a beautiful historical property that Jessie has renovated and decorated in a wonderful traditional style. I could not have been happier with my choice in B&B. Will definitely stay there every time I visit New Orleans.

• Liked — Location and beauty of the property, exterior, interior and poolside.
  • Disliked — That I couldn't live there all year round.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2007

I have had the pleasure of staying at the Green House Inn several times. Every time it has been one of the most comfortable and relaxing visits to New Orleans.

The staff is a true example of Southern hospitality. They realize that since Katrina they must go above and beyond and they do it well, especially Richard.

The pool area is exquisite. See my photos. Escape the French Quarter by curling up with a book from their library and while away the hours in a swing or rocking chair. Naps are "mandatory"!

I recommend this New Orleans B&B to everyone.
LSUCAJUNLADY

Stayed April 2007
Baton Rouge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2007

My husband and I stay at a lot of B&B and small Inns while we travel. The Greenhouse Inn is our favorite place to stay while we are in New Orleans. The Inn keeper/owner is very warm and makes you feel at home as soon as you arrive. He is always current with what is going on in the city and is never without a recomendation for the best places to dine, shop, listen to some great music or join in on the local fun. The Inn is always festive and welcoming no matter what time of year we stay there. The pool is surrounded by lush tropical plants and has such a calming effect on those who venture into the tropical paradise or who are lucky enough to view it from the balcony off their rooms. The Greenhouse is a charming old three story house with a lot of history, eclectic and well maintained interiors, and a great staff that makes you want to come back and visit again and again. They make you love NOLA even more -if that is possible!

Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2007

After a full day of enjoying the sights, sounds, and food of New Orleans - the oasis of the Green House Inn is a wonderful resting spot to come back and relax before taking off on the next adventure.

I cannot tell you how wonderful it was to spend that time between touring and dinner sitting by the GORGEOUS pool and reading books, taking a dip and catching a nap. The pool area is an exquitely planned and maintained tropical garden. The Inn is located near wonderful restuarants, shops, and muesums. There is even a quant neighborhood watering hole across the street from the Inn, where you can enjoy a quiet cocktail before heading off to dinner, a concert or nightlife. The bonus: hopping in the hot tub to unwind at the end of evening before retiring.

The rooms are very clean, comfortable and beautifully decorated with original works of art. All the amenities you would expect are right there at your fingertips.

It's impossible to say enough good things about the staff at the Inn. They are sunny, friendly and knowledgable. Jesse, the inn keeper, has a weath of knowledge about New Orelans, which is more than willing to share. Katherine is an absolute doll!

Enjoy!

Stayed September 2007
NewYork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2007

If you want to hide out and get away this is the place.

I bring my dog Max,( a westy with a personality) with me everytime. He loves the place, Hanging around the pool with his buddy Stubben a big germand shepard, the owners dog. Stubben is a gentle as they come.

The Green House Inn is layed back! You feel right at home. No hassels no worries. Just a short taxi ride to some of the best of New Orleans. Jesse the owner will give you the best tips as to where the action is, or what new Bistro is hot.

Sunday morning is my favorite time at the Green House. Wake up, take a dip in the Garden pool, then off down Magazine Street to Slim Goodies for breakfast.. Man! Then back to green house for layed back day at the pool. Then in afternoon, slip down to French Quarter, and check out Jackson Square. Cool!

This is why they call it the Big Easy.

• Liked — Friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — Need more time to stay.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brooklyn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2007

This place is a major rip-off and travelers should stay away.

When I arrived at the Green House Inn, I was greeted by a reservations agent and a very large, intimidating German Shepherd. After signing the credit card voucher, I was shown to a second floor room. The accommodations were substandard. I tripped on entering the room as it was almost one foot lower than the hallway. Outside the window next to the bed was a unpleasantly loud air conditioning unit that served the entire hotel. And there were guests walking around without clothing both near the pool on the first level and on the second floor.

I explained to the owner that I could not stay for six nights in such conditions but would pay for one night. The owner said that his cancellation policy allowed him to charge me for six nights. He said that when I signed the credit card voucher, I agreed to his cancellation policy that no refunds were permitted.

This place is a rip-off and dangerous, as well. STAY AWAY.

Stayed July 2007
TheGreenHouseInn, Innkeeper at Green House Inn, responded to this review, December 13, 2007
As the Innkeepers of The Green House Inn, we welcome constructive criticism and constantly seek feedback to better service our guests. We are surprised and disturbed by HVOG's negative review of The Green House Inn on Trip Advisor dated November 6, 2007. In 15 years of doing business and having hosted thousands of guests, The Green House Inn has never received a negative review on Trip Advisor or any other web site. In fact we enjoyed a 5.0 rating before this posting.

We are sure there are facts and circumstances that led to HVOG's disgruntled comments but none of it was due to The Green House Inn. This guest booked a deeply discounted Internet rate for a standard king room. He was visiting during a major convention, which he was attending, and had mentioned that he liked our location just 3 blocks from the Convention Center. He also told us, on arrival, that he had forgotten to cancel a reservation he had made at another Inn that was further away and was going to lose his deposit there. We feel this oversight on his part, led to this posting.

As we are an intimate bed and breakfast inn, we have a 14-day cancellation period and offer no refunds for early departures – all of which is fully disclosed on our web site, in the written confirmation we send all guests, and in the reservations agreement every guest signs on check in. This guest checked in, signed all the forms, paid for his room by credit card and signed the credit card slip. Although he was booked in a standard room he was upgraded to a deluxe king with balcony on arrival, all at no extra cost to him. The room has new pillow top bedding, Egyptian cotton linens, deluxe bath amenities, a shower for 2, refrigerator, waffle weave robes and its own individual air conditioning/heating system. We personally escort each guest to their room when they check in, so that we can make sure everything meets their expectations. If any guest prefers another room, we always offer them an alternative – if it is available at their rate. This guest never mentioned any dissatisfaction at all to us.

Our Inn is "pet friendly". In response to HVOG's comment that he was greeted by a "large and intimidating German Shepherd", only the German Shepherd part of the comment is accurate. Steuben, our pet, is 11-years-old with severe arthritis and has been with The Green House Inn since he was 6-weeks old. He is a lovable dog that has been adopted by most guests as their "surrogate pet" while away from home.

Also, we are an adult only resort and our swimming pool is European Attitude (clothing optional). This is displayed on our web site and there is signage by the pool. It is limited to the pool area. This option is each guest’s personal choice; but no one was even exercising it while this guest was here.

Finally, the Inn is an historic property built in 1840; it is 167 years old and is located in an historic district. It has high ceilings, original hardwood floors and a number of steps/stairs. It has been completely renovated and modernized, while still maintaining its historic nature. The Green House Inn has state of the art lighting, alarms, signage and safety features. It is a very safe, comfortable enviroment.

We always point out to perspective guests that they should visit our web site, as it discloses everything about the Inn. Our return rate by past guests is 73%. That in it self tells you our Inn is a wonderful, safe and enjoyable place to stay. It is our home, and we live here.

Been to Green House Inn? Share your experiences!