You added BEST WESTERN PLUS French Quarter Landmark Hotel to your Saves list
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Houston, Texas
“Good enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

After reading some of the other reviews, I agree with some of the downfalls. I can see how parking a large vehicle would be difficult but it's doable. They do lock the parking garage at night but when we arrived back late, there was a nice gentleman who opened the gate for us. The front desk service and housekeeping aren't great. We even tipped housekeeping and they still didn't leave us new soap and shampoo/conditioner. We called and they brought more up quickly. It's New Orleans and what I have learned going there is that sometimes with such a laid back culture you get too relaxed service.

I would stay here again. It's close enough to walk but away from all the loudness that keeps you up at night if you are trying to sleep. The rooms were clean and nice enough. We didn't spend too much time lounging around in the room so it met our needs. It's better than paying $50 more a night for a room in the heart of the Quarter that is old and dirty and right in the middle of the late night..well all night yelling.

Room Tip: We reserved a room with 1 bed and when we arrived they put us in one with 2 full beds. If you do ha...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

This hotel is generally a good choice if you want to be near the French Quarter. It's on Rampart Street just across the street from Louis Armstrong Park (I was warned not to go in the park after dark). Three blocks to Bourbon Street, and about five blocks to Jackson Square and Cafe du Monde.

The room was nice, with a table and chairs, as well as a work desk. It came fully equipped with coffee maker and fridge. My only complaint was the windows. Screws had been inserted to prevent one from opening the windows. I like fresh air, especially when sleeping, and their appeared to be no way to just run the fan on the A/C unit--you had to have heat or cold. In October, you need neither in New Orleans. I went to Rite-Aid and bought a $2 screwdriver and removed the screws. I put them back in before I left.

They have a good breakfast with a large breakfast room next to the bar, but make sure you get there before 9:30. They start shutting everything down right at closing time--no wiggle room. The bar is open in the evening, but I never saw more than one or two people there--New Orleans has lots of bars, so no reason to go to the one at the hotel.

There's a large pool in an interior courtyard, but I didn't try it. There were lots of Europeans (French and German) staying here.

The price on Friday night was a bit high (over $150), but on weeknights it was a pretty good value.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Phoenix
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

I arrived in the evening to the French Quarter on August 19, 2011. I know that our health care corp authorizes the Best Weterns for our business travel. I approached the front desk where there were two employees behind the counter. One appeared to be front desk staff and the other a manager of some sort. The male who appeared to be the manager was seated eating fried chicken. I asked if they had any rooms for the night. The man who did not stop eating started talking to me through the other staff member without looking at me, as if I were rude enough to interrupt his chicken snack. So he says "yeah" to my inquiry into room availability to which the staff employee reiterates this affirmation to me as if I needed a tranlator. I asked what the rate was, again without looking at me I was quoted a rate well above the internet posted rate. I asked it they had a AAA rate, again without looking at me or stopping his snack the manager responded nastily as if speaking through his coworker "nope that's it". I said thank you and walked out. I walked around the area and quickly found a nice place to stay a few blocks down for ~$100/night. I understand that Best Westerns are indepently owned and I usually enjoy them. This experience was not just bad customer service; it was downright insulting. I am really an easy to please traveller. Stay anywhere else. The French Quarter has a myriad of nice places. This is not one of them.

Room Tip: Just stay somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I was skeptical about staying at this hotel because of the mediocre reviews but decide to anyway. Big mistake. We got a room with a king sized bed. The room was nicely decorated but the furniture is too big for the small room. Not much moving space. I noticed in the shower stall a plastic razor cover by the drain that was not removed from housekeeping decide to leave it there. The second day our room was not even made up. I called at 4:45 pm to the front desk and was told that housekeeping staff had left for the day and that the manager would be informed and get back to me. That never happened. I went to the front desk and told the female clerk with blond hair that my room was never made up and that I needed towels. She asked "how many" and gave me the towels with a curt response of "I'm sorry about that". Surprisingly enough there was a man before me asking for bathroom tissue because housekeeping didn't leave him any. The next day I reminded another front desk clerk that I wanted my room made up. She didn't even look at me and said "sure". When I got back to the room, my request to change the linen on the bed was never done, and the razor cover was still on the shower drain! I noticed during the day that housekeeping staff was always on their cell phones or chatting amongst themselves. Front staff and housekeeping staff need some kind of customer training because these people don't seem to care about their clients or their jobs.

Room Tip: Get a room with double beds. They are much larger
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Stayed there for 2 nights in September 2011.Wonderful location.Friendly stuff.Room small but very nicely and tastefully decorated. For two people big enough,for four with lots of luggage little space.Very clean and attendive service.Lots of sun lounges,tables,chairs and parabols to relax in a beautiful outdoor atrium with a clean nice pool.
Free Breakfast with waffles,cereals,toast in an also well decorated room with view to the pool.
Only 2 disadvantages:small elevator for many guests and parking cost 22 $ per day.And you will need it! Only a few blocks away from French Quarter with Bourbon Street.So leave your car at the hotel.
We enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

This was our first trip to New Orleans and wanted a place in the French Quarter, The parking in the garage is extremely tight, so if you have a large or even a mid-size vehicle you might have problems. And it is first come first serve. We got a spot on the end, and the balcony was right above and people were throwing their trash off the balcony into the garbage bin which was on the end, and there was food, bags, etc all over the ground. Their elevator is very small. We left the card on the bed requesting that they change the sheets and had spoken to housekeeping, they did not change them. They just made the bed. No matter what the air conditioner was set at, it did not cool the room. Shower door kept sliding open, and website said each room had a ceiling fan, ours did not, they said during the remodeling that they had done, all of them were removed. And they mention about how close they are to bourbon street, but when you ask about getting there, they tell you not to go the shortest route because that is the hood and you could be mugged. So you have to go over 2-3 blocks, then go down to bourbon street. Would not go back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

Apart from from the poor attitude from the afternoon check in clerk (long blonde hair, mole on chin) this was a great stay. Excellent value. Close enough, yet far enough from Bourbon street. Good breakfast, and beautifully re-finished rooms. I would stay here again. Don't let one miserable receptionist taint this hotel (alnost did for me), the others were excellent and made you feel welcome. Very clean. Great location.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS French Quarter Landmark Hotel? Share your experiences!