“Go when it's warm, wear sunscreen!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Serving the New Orleans area for 17 years, Cajun Encounters is a local, family owned tour provider. #1 Swamp Tours, Top City/Cemetery Tours, and Plantation Tours that show why Nola is a city like no other.
27 attraction reviews
“Go when it's warm, wear sunscreen!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

The gators only come out when it's warm, but don't go during summer because the swamps are probably hell on earth in that season. Pick a warm spring day, maybe in the afternoon, and wear sunscreen (we got sunburnt). Note that there are parts where the boat speeds up so it gets really windy, and during cold days you must bring a proper coat or you'll freeze.
As to the experience itself: we didn't get to see a lot of wildlife because it was still chilly, but the tour was nevertheless beautiful. The captain was very skillful with the boat and was funny and informative. The best part was that we actually got to hold and pet a little wild alligator (caught by the captain of another Cajun Encounters boat)! That was absolutely awesome!
I highly recommend this company in particular- they are very professional and they take only small groups on each boat (about 22 max). Also, they have boats without roofs so you get a much better look at everything.
If you are in the area, this is a fantastic experience for the whole family!

Red Deer, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“Plantations Tour -Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We took the Plantations tour as gators are not our thing. Our driver, Stacey, made the ride to the tour and back again very enjoyable and fun. Seeing the beauty of Oak Alley to the beauty of the Creole mansion of Laura. Guides were amazing and informative at both locations. Laura also provides a fascinating glimpse of the slave life. Reading the reading the "Code Noir", which dictated how slave were treated by their "owners", while looking on to original slave quarters was unforgettable. The Oak Alley tour is last so enjoy the view from the balcony of the old trees and grab a Mint Julep to reflect before heading home.

Manhattan, New York City
“Something Different”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I did a swamp tour. Our driver was great really nice guy and told good stories very entertaining. We were picked up on time from our hotel and then made a few more stops to get more people. It was very quick. Check in was easy and well organized. The swamp tour was good, safe, we saw hogs, baby hogs, snakes and alligators. Our boat driver / tour guide was ok and similar to other reviews I didn't get a feel that the guide had any respect for the wild life. He kept calling the hogs dumb and bragged how once he fed one a paper towel and the dumb hog ate it. That's terrible. He kept throwing marshmallows at its head. I wish we had a guide that appreciated nature and the habitat these beautiful animals live in. I wouldn't recommend this tour. I hear there are others with guides that really love the wild life. I wish we did one of those.

CajunEncounters, Director of Sales at Cajun Encounters, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Hi Melissa,

First off, thank you for taking our tour, and for spending a part of your vacation with us. You chose Cajun Encounters, when you could have chosen any company, and that means a lot to us.

We appreciate your kind words about our organization, which we work hard on, and are glad that you thought the tour was good.

We are alarmed to hear, however, of anyone feeding paper products to animals. We tour out of one of the last protected wetlands in Louisiana, and nature conservation is HUGE to us. Hearing the "paper towels" note is of grave concern, and we want to address this with the correct person IMMEDIATELY.

Is there any way you can email or call us and let us know which captain you toured with? We must address this right away. My email is marica@cajunencounters.com

Thanks again for your time. We work very hard to create a fun, educational experience for our guests, and work with our team very closely to continually improve. Your feedback means so much. Again thanks.
Redmond, Washington, United States
36 attraction reviews
“Touristy good time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I went on the swamp tour booked from my hostel before I realized you can get a discount by booking direct online and they will store do hotel pickup. I did manage to get a smaller discount with AAA card when I got there.

That much said this is a pretty good time catering to tourists that haven't seen alligators and snakes before. There were a lot more snakes and turtles than alligators when I went out of season last week (big guys still hibernating). They feed the big gators hot dogs and try to lure our pigs with marshmallows.

If you like birds and more wildlife and have your own car I would suggest doing one of the more intimate (yet cheaper) tours like Annie Miller's Son's on the other side of New Orleans at the Mandalay Wildlife Nature Reserve where I saw many more (albeit smaller) alligators but much more bird life and no snakes.

Fort St. John, Canada
“Great Gators”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Our Captain John was fantastic! He knew exactly where to take us to find the Gators and get them going. Answered all our questions and went the extra mile in making sure we got to see what we came out there for. Awesome tour and guide!