“complete joke - stay somewhere else you have been warned. See my photos.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Garden Hotel Baronne Plaza

Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #101 of 156 Hotels in New Orleans
Broome, Australia
“complete joke - stay somewhere else you have been warned. See my photos.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

Firstly the hotel is under major construction!!! If anyone had bothered to tell us when we booked up that we would be entering a building site like this I would have told them to go take a hike (that’s the polite version). Oh.... maybe that’s why they neglected to mention that bit, silly me? Lets just pretend its all nice and cosy and we won't lose any money eh, bad, bad, bad!
I have taken some photos because I want you to see for yourself what a little refurbishment work actually looks like, please do take a peak.
"Oh sorry the restaurant is closed too, the refurbishment you see" said the polite receptionist....grr forgot to mention that to us as well. "Its going ***s up" I said to my dumbstruck partner! Actually we just turned to each other and burst out laughing that’s what can happen when you are left in disbelief.
So bomb site at reception, no food what next............. well cockroaches!!!!! yes the little blighters are here in numbers, but wait they are dying so that’s okay because they've been treated obviously (I suppose they could have starved because the restaurant's shut remember) well guess what they were here in the same spots day after day after day.....oh my god nobody is bothering to clean up! Think I'm joking don't you? Well there were dead insect bodies, rubbish and litter lying around for three days, all in the exact same places, bad, bad, bad. I know because I photographed it. Yes I'm ashamed of being so sad but by the time I was leaving I was desperate for revenge. Me bitter???? definitely. I knew people wouldn't believe me unless I could show them anyway so I started to photograph everything. I had visions of some manager coming on here and trying to say I was a liar or exaggerating you know how they like to play things down, Its business remember. Well the pictures are there you decide.
The rooms themselves are more like cold, miserable, caves, with the bare essentials in. Actually it's all garbage the only plus point is the staff, they are really nice. I feel sorry for them having to explain this joke to every customer who comes through the door. I really do.
Anyway I've had my say, thank goodness for sites like trip advisor, hopefully a lot of you will be put off and find somewhere not under refurbishment for your stay. New Orleans and its folk are really lovely, the Baronne Plaza most definitely is not! Don't go it's a complete insult to your intelligence. Bitter and vengeful, Chris.

Note - I’ve just returned from a tour in America and I stayed at 12 different hotels, this hotel doesn’t even merit a last place amongst them, it’s three below that spot! What I really mean is I have a few comparisons to back up what I‘m talking about. I just don’t want people to be disappointed like we were afterall you are paying so much money.

Top tour for me was the Cajun Adventura swamp trip, loved it. Takes a morning and they pick you up at the door. The VIP city tour was okay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
wghotel, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel Baronne Plaza, responded to this review, July 1, 2009
As always, we welcome all guests reviews (good and bad). Any guests complaints are always resolved immediately if notified to management in advance. On behalf of our hotel staff, we hope the comment above does not discourage prospective guests from staying with us. We are regarded as one of the top-notch service-providing hotels in New Orleans. In addition to our excellent service and reasonable room rates, we are in the process of updating our hotel's interior appearance and have taken the initiative to expand our hotel to include a total of 3 meeting and ballroom spaces. Come stay with us and see for yourself...we promise you will not be disappointed!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Madison, MS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

We loved the offer of free parking, but the lot was full when we checked in at 3pm, which is when they begin check-in. We ended up paying $20 to park down the block. On the plus side, the staff was friendly, and the rooms were clean and the beds very comfortable. We did not have a problem with noise from the other rooms. On the down side, the rooms are small, the view is lousy, and it was a long walk to get into the action in the French Quarter. The lobby is under construction, so there is no bar or restaurant, and the lobby is full of drop cloths. This is a good place to stay if you are on a tight budget, but plan to pay to park.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
On behalf of our hotel management, we apologize for not being able to accommodate you with complimentary parking. But as with all promotions, there are restrictions that apply and stated at the time before a reservation is confirmed by a guest. Nevertheless, our hotel is in the process of expanding our services so we can accommodate all our guests to the best of our ability.
Great Neck, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

This hotel is under construction right now, and has a strange look on the inside--it still kind of seems like a cavernous mall and feels rather deserted. The room I had was very clean and tasteful, very comfortable bed, nice flat screen TV. But doors were slamming all night and the walls seemed very thin. I could hear everything said in the room next to me, and in the morning the construction crews started up their work and that was LOUD. I got a pretty good value on Orbitz and definitely saved a lot by not staying at the Marriott a few blocks away, which was where I was attending a conference. The location of the Baronne is great--just off Canal Street so a little quieter and just as convenient. My biggest complaint about this hotel is that the Internet connection (wireless) is SO frustrating. It went in and out all night, and I really needed it in order to prepare my conference presentation. Anything needing a sustained connection was impossible to do. I complained and the staff was rude about it, saying "It must be your computer." Also, one night I came back late to find my door key no longer worked. The front desk person was not very helpful and seemed to think I was trying to get away with something?? She said maybe someone was in my room and had locked me out--which kind of freaked me out. It just took a lot longer than it should have for them to give me another key...annoying. But overall, this is a good place to stay and will only get better when the renovations are complete.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. As always, we welcome all guests reviews (good and bad). Our hotel is in the process of make interior improvements that we are sure prospective guests will be delighted to hear (as well as see upon arrival). In addition to already providing top-notch service, we are expanding our hotel to include a total of 3 meeting and ballroom spaces. Come stay with us and see for yourself...we promise you will not be disappointed!
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

PROS: The rooms were vice nice for the pirce you paid. Be sure to ask for a room with windows facing the exterior (as opposed to the interior of the building). There is a flat screen tv an up-to-date furnishings in the room. The staff were very pleasant and personable. I was having an issue with the TV and telephone in the room at 2am in the morning and they sent maintenance up there to fix it right away.

CONS: Housekeeping has the tendency to nag you when it comes to cleaning the room. If you tell them to come back in and hr or so, they will have front desk call you [again] and inform you that the housekeeper will be leaving at 3pm today, therefore she needed a specific return time. This was quite annoying when someone was tryign to sleep in late. The most troubling experince is the fact the the hallway/lobby/lounge/elevantors smelt VERY stuffy and musty. The air was filled with dust as a result of the renovations going on in the common areas. I would recommned that the hotel use only one elevator for cargo as it is quite an unpleasant experience to ride in such a close-knit space with so much dust.

All in all, if you can bare the few cons of this hotel, I would recommend it as "stayable" for an affordable price. I am sure that the dust issue will be resolved as soon as they complete renovations. It the hotel is also located 2 blocks away from Bourbon Street so it is very convenient. However, the street is very dark and lonely to way to and from the central spots.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
WL-DHR, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel Baronne Plaza, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your most recent stay with us. We are glad to hear your stay was overall satisfactory, but we will still pass along those noticeable shortcomings to our staff members. If there is anything else we can do to make your next stay even more memorable, please do not hesitate to contact us again (504-522-0083)!
Texas!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

We arrived on a very rainy early afternoon about 3 hours before checkout. With parking the way it is in New Orleans, we really didn't want to have to lug all of our stuff from a parking garage over there in the rain 3 hours later. Went inside to ask directions to a parking garage and an extremely friendly desk clerk told us that there was no problem checking us in early. Told us to leave the car right in front of the hotel and unload and we could take our time. Throughout our two day stay, the front desk personnel were extremely pleasant always taking time to say hi to our kiddos and greet us. The rooms were clean and simple. It was a bit removed from the heart of the French Quarter but it was still relatively easy walking distance even with a 2 year old. Very good experience and this will be my go-to hotel for future New Orleans visits.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
WL-DHR, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel Baronne Plaza, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
On behalf of the entire Wyndham Garden Hotel staff, thank you so much for the wonderful review! If there is anything else we can do to make your next stay even more memorable, please do not hesitate to contact us again (504-522-0083)!
Ft. Smith, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

We stayed here March 27th and 28th. The hotel lobby is being updated, so there were some miscellaneous building materials scattered around the corners of the lobby. The receptionist was friendly and the check in went smoothly. Our room was on the third floor and was very clean. The room had been recently updated and had a nice granite bathroom and LCD TV. The bed was soft and comfy. Our room didn't have a window facing outside, it faced into the atrium area. With the blind closed, the room was pitch dark like a cave, so it was nice for sleeping in. The hotel is only two blocks from the corner of Canal and Bourbon St., so it's very convenient to the French Quarter. This hotel doesn't have a pool or restaurant/bar, but it's location makes up for the lack of amenities. We couldn't have asked for a better room for the price.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
WL-DHR, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel Baronne Plaza, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

Wherever we attend our annual large convention, we always look for acceptable less expensive accommodations. The Baronne Hotel 'won out' over all the options we checked. We had 10 executive rooms (9 double and 1 single) for our group.

While it was a longer walking distance to the convention center than we normally prefer, a nearby hotel booked for the convention by the organizing program had a free shuttle provided by the organizers. Taxi fares were not too bad from the convention center, when the shuttle was unavailable.

Because the hotel is converted from a non-hotel use, rooms were not uniform in size. Some of the double rooms were a bit small and perhaps should have been singles. The largest double room did not have hot enough water (it may have been furthest from the water heater on the floor , but is not unique to this hotel -- I have had this happen at other hotels; check your shower when you arrive and switch rooms, if necessary), but the people in the room stayed there, because they liked having a big room. That being said, we were pleased overall with our rooms. The single I had included a bathroom nearly as big as the rest of the room. The bathroom floors are a marble-like material, so can be a bit cold, but it was better than having tile, which can be difficult to keep clean in the recessed edges of each tile. The 'dresser' was four low drawers that had a padded cushion on top for extra seating in the room for visitors -- a nice feature for when our group gathered.

All staff were extremely helpful. Our rooms were clean and the areas outside the rooms were also clean.

All our rooms were interior rooms facing out to an atrium open to all floors, with my room being immediately adjacent to the elevator. There was extra noise as people came and went, but not to the point where it disturbed me once I was asleep. The hotel, however, was not as full as during a more popular time like Mardi Gras. With the location near Bourbon street, one should expect more noise than at a hotel further away -- no big deal.

The beds were the kind you get in the fanciest hotel, soft and comfortable. They were high, so a short person like myself almost needed a footstool to get in my bed. Once there, however, I could have stayed there all day and night.

At night, it was a bit dark for a couple blocks until you reached the main street (Canal), so you might want to walk with someone else, if you don't like less well-lit areas. Construction nearby may have contributed to this being darker than normal. Once the construction is completed there may be more light from the adjacent lot.

The wireless internet did not always work for me, but it was nice it was free when it did work.

We were all pleased with the rate -- less than $100 a night, including all taxes and fees for executive rooms (albeit without microwave or refrigerator).

Next time our convention is in New Orleans, we will definitely check out availability from this hotel. I have a feeling, that as word spreads, availability may go down, but that happens with decent accommodations.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business