“If location is important” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$10 Off Parking Per Night
Ranked #91 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Thunder Bay, Canada
“If location is important”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

If location is important and it was for us because we wanted to be central and within walking distance to the French Quarter and other attractions but far enough away from the noise this is a good choice. The front desk lady greeted us warmly, told us how to get to various places of interest, places close by to eat, and made us feel very welcome. There is construction going on directly across from the hotel daily, this did not bother us in the least as we were up and out early enough, and returned late enough to be not bothered by noise. The room was a good size and the beds were super comfy. The room was inexpensive. Those were the good points. However,
The hotel is very old looking and a bit run down to the point where (even though it is clean) it does not feel clean. It is definitely in need of updating and the upholstered furniture looks beyond dated.
The coffee shop in the lobby was not open when it was supposed to be and the counters and microwave were filthy. There is a restaurant also off the lobby, but we did not dine there. I don't think I would choose to stay at this hotel again, unless it was 'cleaned up'. Sorry, I really hate to be negative, this hotel was just very unappealing.

Room Tip: There are interior rooms, unless you like this idea, get a room with an exterior window
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
WL-DHR, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel Baronne Plaza, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your most recent stay with us. We are glad to hear your stay was overall satisfactory, but we will still pass along those noticeable shortcomings to our staff members. If there is anything else we can do to make your next stay even more memorable, please do not hesitate to contact us again (504-522-0083)!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Helsinki, Finland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Our stay was otherwise pleasant but one of the staff members STOLE my wifi hotspot device. I accidentally left it to our room after the checkout and 30min after the checkout I noticed that I left it on the table next to my bed. When I returned to the hotel there was a maid already cleaning our room and she said that she has not seen my device. She was a bit nervous and few times she put her hand into her work uniforms pockets like she was hiding something there.

I tried to speak with the hotel staff about this but they just repeated what the maid said: there was nothing found from the room. Later on the same night was able to track from my Verizon page that someone is constantly trying to use my device.

After few days I took a screencap of the Verizon page as an evidence and sent an email to the hotel but they did not respond to that in any way. I was able to track from my server logs that someone from the hotel opened my screencap URL/link. I waited 5 days and the I sent email to Wyndham customer service. They also tried to contact hotel management. It took a week to get answer from them. They promised to refund 20 USD for me and I was not pleased because the price of the stolen device is over 100 USD. OK, it was my fault that I left it to our room after the checkout but the way how hotel handled this was not professional. They just said that it was my fault that I did not take care of my personal belongings. I believe that the stealing maid is still working for the hotel so please hide your valuables!

During the last 3 years I have road tripped more than 15 000 miles and I have stayed in over 100 different hotels. There has been some very shady hotels in the middle of nowhere and some of the hotels have located in not so friendly neighborhoods. This was the first time when hotel staff member stole something from me!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear JackFin,

Thank you for writing a review on your most recent stay with us. Upon researching your comments with hotel management, we found the following:

1. We do take theft issues very seriously. We interviewed our HK staff and the employee in question is no longer working at this property.

2. We did refund you a portion of your stay as a courtesy for the inconvenience even though there was no substantial proof that a theft occurred.

3. We will continue to monitor our staff and insure these issues do not arise again, but in the meantime, still encourage guests to store their valuables in the hotel guestroom safe as a precaution.

Most of our hotel guests have a wonderful experience and it is unfortunate yours was not. We wish you all the best in your future travels.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

had a wonderful experience at this hotel. the lobby is magnificent and the staff could not be friendlier especially the general manager candace. she went out of her way to make us feel at home. the rooms were extremely clean and the bed was very comfortable. everything is in walking distance from the hotel and make sure you ask the front desk for food recommendations. we will be back very soon! there is a diner and coffee shop on the ground floor connected to the lobby so make sure you try their famous pan cakes!.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
WL-DHR, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel Baronne Plaza, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
On behalf of our GM Candice and the entire Wyndham Garden Hotel staff, thank you so much for the wonderful 5 star review! Hearing positive feedback such as yours really makes our day! If there is anything else we can do to make your next stay even more memorable, please do not hesitate to contact us again (504-522-0083)!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

This hotel in located one block from the french quarters, so it's a great location if you want to stay central. When we arrived there where 3 people in the reception, only one was helping another quest. Nobody greeted us, we had to wait until the the person in front was ready and it took some time. Far from the southern hospitality at least when you're from Texas. Rooms are fairly large, beds where comfy, but the bathroom was not clean, found large black hairs in the shower.

There is no breakfast included they obviously have that leased out to somebody else, we had a breakfast for 3 with coffee, juice and a regular breakfast $ 47.55 is not cheap. So next morning we went to IHOP for the breakfast that was better and less money.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Riverdale
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Charged 499.00 a night for essence festival. Hotel room had ceilings in room with water damage and sink stopped up no breakfast or anything inclued. force to pay for valet parking 44.00 no discount for wyndham owers or wyndham rewards disappointed for first time at wyndham hotel . Listening to clerks at check in made me fell ripped off. person who check me in could mot address my concern

Room Tip: be specific about what you want. I.e separte area for viewing and relaxing when renting suite not ju...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Charles J,

1. You paid the average rate that is normally advertised for this Special Event. In addition, the rate you paid was not only competitive with other nearby 3 star hotels, but included many other amenities that 4-5 star hotels would normally charge.

2. If you were truly unhappy with your stay, you could have spoken to one of our managers and we would have more than happy to release you from your reservation and find a hotel that could meet your personal needs.

3. We do not force hotel guests to park with us. There are numerous other parking garages nearby.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

This is an old department store converted in the Art Deco fashion. Came with family (two teens). They are doing construction next door so they recommended an inside room for a quiet morning. The inside room have a window that opens to the hallway. Room was clean and beds were comfy. My only complaint was there is no exhaust fan in the bathroom so our family of four taking back to back showers made it steamy for make up etc. there is a diner and a coffee shop in the lobby. Great location, about a 10 min walk to the French quarter.

Stayed July 2014
WL-DHR, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel Baronne Plaza, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

The room was filthy!!!!!!
Dirty Items are as follows:
Tub - Didn't drain properly
Shower Curtain -Bottom stained w/black mildew
Sink - Mildew in the center area
Toilet - Not cleaned properly
Carpet - Dirty (stains)
Flooring - Not leveled (you could feel the holes)
Vents - Black dust coming from it
A/C Unit - Didn't cool properly (NO fresh air, it felt like it was recycled)
Insects - Rats in the basement, little black bugs inside the room.
Chair - Broken & leaning
Window Seals - Dirty
Drapes - Dusty

They charged 4-5 star rates, the room felt like a 1-2 star & it was very uncomfortable in addition to ruining my vacation.

The disgust & filth prevented me from relaxing or eating inside the room. When I informed your staff of these items, their response was "Did you call to report them?" Poor service to say the least.

• Stayed July 2014
WL-DHR, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel Baronne Plaza, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear GuilogK,

1. You stayed with us for 3 nights during Essence Festival and paid the average rate that is normally advertised for this Special Event. In addition, the rate you paid was not only competitive with other nearby 3 star hotels, but included many other amenities that 4-5 star hotels would normally charge.

2. During the 3 days you stayed with us, you did not speak to any manager at the property. You waited until after you checked out to email our General Manager your list of complaints.

3. You acknowledged you did not give the hotel the opportunity to at least try to rectify your complaints, but still demanded a full refund. In addition, you acknowledged you did not want to check out because there were no other hotels available. Upon further research, records show there were other hotels with room availability.

4. Our General Manager did issue an apology as well a partial refund as a courtesy.

Been to Wyndham Garden Hotel Baronne Plaza? Share your experiences!