“Wyndham chain needs to shut this place down” 1 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #96 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Wyndham chain needs to shut this place down”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The is the first time I have ever felt the need to post on trip advisor...Usually I am the most easy going person in the world and except things as they are...BUT this stay at this hotel not only left me speechless but has me questioning my loyalty to the Wyndham Rewards program......To start off I stay at the Wyndham properties a lot for work..at least 10 days a month and after this nightmare will now take a look at other chains....I called this location because I was having trouble booking some reward nights, and spoke with a very nice lady who I spent 20 minutes on the phone with as she booked my reservation...Hung up the phone and was happy that I was helped very professionally ( Courtney I believe was her name) and about 10 minutes later a call came in from the rewards department who was VERY RUDE and not helpful...I am a rewards member with a lot of points and was treated this way so I can only imagine how others are treated. Basically I had to redo the whole reservation...Anyway....We arrived at the hotel at 4:30 to check in...The girl at the front desk was clueless not only about her job but about life in general. Taylor was her name....It started out bad as she asked if she could help us and I said yes I had reservations..as I told her my last name, she turned sideways and started talking with a guest about the happenings of the night before (the guest she was talking to was being helped by another worker)...I stood there for about 3 minutes before she said.."I'm sorry what was that name again"...So again I told her...She stood there for about 5 minutes, nothing said just staring at the screen like she was reading a Chinese novel and didn't understand it....Then she said hold on...Walked to the back and came out and handed that guest she was having conversations with a sheet of paper...then asked me again my last name...So at this point I said loudly my last name...She then went back into a trance and said nothing...Finally she said I have you a room on the 3rd floor....I replied. Do you have another floor...We had heard a person was shot on the 3rd floor and would really rather stay somewhere else....Now you would think that since a person was shot there the staff would be knowledgeable about the situation and at least be able to address it right? (by the way, a person was shot there in late June for those that are unaware)...Her response was ...Huh, I never heard that...Are you sure this is the right hotel?,....Really...C'mon, guys. There were police detectives in the lobby when we got there interviewing people... Anyway past that...She said...Well I have some rooms but they are not ready. At 4:30? You post your check in time at 3 but at 4:30 still no rooms....Finally with some luck, she found a room....She then went on to tell me I had 3 other reservations that night...I said no I don't and showed her the email confirmations, to which she said...." What is this?"...I said these are the email confirmations that Wyndham sent to me...She said "I have never seen those"...At this point I am thinking that I am on hidden camera or they went out on Bourbon street last night and held interviews...Finally she said, " So you don't have these reservations"..I replied. No...She said "Ok, I will have my manager take these off and I will call you to confirm"...As of today, I have not heard from his person. Not surprised at all....So as we stood there and waited for her to get our room keys...Her friend from earlier showed back up and she asked us to hold on as she went and finished her conversation...Finally I said, Can I have our keys.......So from the time we got there at 4:30 to the time we got our keys in our hand it took 35 minutes to check in to a hotel...UNACCEPTABLE....

The room....It was a suite, with no windows....Not bad but I wouldn't advertise a suite. I would advertise an oversized room...The bathrooms were the nicest part of the room but the door to the bathroom is right by the head of the bed basically. The bed was king size bed not bad except for the stains on the sheets of what looked liked blood splatter and then a stain in the middle that looked like some spilled coffee on it (ok, I am being nice about the stain but that's the nicest way to describe it). The first night our air did not work at all but after a night on Bourbon we didn't care until the next morning...

The next morning as we were leaving we stopped by the front desk to let them know about the air and the stains...To out dismay Taylor was working but we decided to give it another try...So we walked up and got the "May I help you"...As we were telling Taylor about the sheets and the sir, she basically walked to the other counter to help another customer. I think to give change or keys...We just looked at each other...she walked back and again said. I'm sorry, what can I do for you....We again explained the problems and I honestly have never seen the look we got ...It was like me giving my 6 month old peas for the first time...She stared in space and was looking at us...Finally she said ok I will take care of it...Then we said...Don't you think you need our room number? She said, Oh yea...She wrote something down and we walked out. As we walked out the door we said to each other, No way in hell anything gets done......

So as we came back to the hotel, we walked to the front desk to check to see if they were able to change the sheets and fix the air....Another lady was at the front desk and said. Let me look..She came back and said I don't see anything listed but I will send someone up now...This was 2:00 and we walked in our room and no maid service had been done and the air still didn't work...We decided to leave to go get a drink because we couldn't handle much more. As we were leaving a guy showed up with no badge, no Wyndham shirt nothing and said, I'm here to fix the air...This guy could have been off the streets about to rob us...His only credit was he had a maintenance worker badge hanging from his pocket of his pants...

Then as we checked out...I was there with another group that also used points...as he checked out he has no bill due to points and no charges...I checked out and had $1 charge each night for a total of 2$....There was no explanation of why I got charged except city fee...When I asked the person why I got charged and he didn't, she said it must be his lucky day....Not hear me on this, I could care less about 2$ but it just seems there is no process in place at this hotel or the training program for new hires SUCKS..

The fitness center was under construction so it was out. The parking was 30$ a night because the front desk told us the lot was full but the guy parking the cars said it wasn't...

Overall, a horribly run hotel and the front desk needs an overhaul...There are many choices out there for people to stay and the first contact that you make is with the front desk and to be pushed off or ignored is a bad start....This hotel offers no wow factor of the rooms and average at best which is fine, IF the staff makes up for it. This hotel fails at both...Your staff should be up to date about the happenings of the hotel, for example the shooting...Again I wasn't shocked that someone in New Orleans got shot, but shocked that Taylor who works there knew nothing about it.

I will also send this to Wyndham rewards as I feel as waste of my points was done. I could have stayed in my car and had the same experience....Wyndham just lost a repeat customer because of the actions of this hotel...

Stay at your own risk, but there are ALO better hotels in New Orleans. LESSON LEARNED!.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
WL-DHR, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel Baronne Plaza, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your most recent stay with us. We apologize if your stay was not 100% satisfactory for we do value your business and strive to ensure every guest experience is positive.

We will be sure to pass along your comments to our staff members so we can make the necessary changes and hopefully, win back your business in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Let me first off say that I have never in my life expirenced a worse time at a hotel. Upon arrival the girl at the front desk had NO IDEA what she was doing it took us 30 mins to check in. After a long day of traveling thats the last thing I want to happen whenchecking in to a hotel. Second, We had gotten 3 rooms using our Wyhndam Rewards. Two of the rooms were checking in Saturday and the other room on Sunday. Well they were all under our name. So we got one couple checked into there room then finally got checked into ours. At the desk Taylor was helping us and we CHANGED the name for the reservation arriving on Sunday to the Couples name. On Sunday when they arrived the girl working didn't remember that she changed the name on the reservation so would not let them check in. So we were in the French Quarter had to come all the way back and confirm they were checking in using our points. When we asked why she did not change the name yesterday when she asked she was like "what" super aggravating considering it was pouring rain outside. Our room was just ok. Our Air Conditioner didn't work and it took along time to fix. Thank goodness we brought a fan. In our Buddies room there was mold on the wall the same girl at the front desk didn't care. Also our floor was not vaccuumed upon arrival. I could go on and on about things about this hotel. But overall I will not return to this hotel. And neither will the group of 8 that was with us. Everyone had a bad time at this hotel. My Recommendation would be to hire people that care about there guests checking in and know what there doing.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

When we arrived, valet for $30/day was the only thing available. The registrations were a little bit messed up for one couple. The first night we had a suite and there are no windows. It had mold on the wall. The coffee machine in the room had probably never been cleaned. The toilet is in the middle of the bathroom. I could tell that it had been updated but the layout could have been thought out a bit more. The gym was under construction. The location is two blocks off Bourbon Street, which gave the only reprieve of the night. The TV would not stay on. I spent 10 minutes in the morning trying to get the cable on and finally gave up. The second room was a regular room and it was better. No mold, the coffee maker must have been cleaned at some point and it had a window. There was a movie being made and I could hear gunshots from outside. It would have been a courtesy to let us know that we may hear shots.

Room Tip: Suites are not worth the extra money.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Hotel staff was very friendly. Building is a little older, but updates are visible. The fitness center was under construction while we were there. Rooms were a little small, but beds were extremely comfortable. We weren't able to stay in a room with exterior windows, which was disappointing but not a big deal. It wasn't as close to the action as some of the hotels, but it was close enough. A couple blocks in the wrong direction was a little sketchy, but for the most part the neighborhood was fine.
Overall, I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
On behalf of the entire Wyndham Garden Hotel staff, thank you so much for the wonderful review! If there is anything else we can do to make your next stay even more memorable, please do not hesitate to contact us again (504-522-0083)!
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I just completed a 3 night stay at the Wyndham Garden Inn on Baronne Street in New Orleans. I must say, it was by far the worst experience I have had at any hotel. I stepped on a shard of glass in the bathroom and had to dig it out of my foot. We had no glass in the room, so clearly it came from the hotel floor. The second day we were there, a Sunday, our room was never cleaned, despite the fact we were absent from the room for 6+ hours during the day. When we brought this to the attention of the staff, they essentially argued with us. The best they could do was give us sheets and towels, so we proceeded to make our own bed and clean our own room. This was a theme with the staff, that when we asked any question really, they were quite argumentative and defensive. The last straw that made me write this email is that the valet stole $20 worth of quarters from my boyfriend’s car. (Which we paid $30+ a night to park) This whole constellation of events means we will never stay in any Wyndham hotel of any kind. I just joined your membership program as I will be travelling much more, and I will not be using that again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Wyndham Garden Hotel Baronne Plaza? Share your experiences!