“Feel good restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Brazilian, Caribbean, Vegan, Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Magazine
Description: Carmo is a New Orleans-based tropical restaurant and bar with a commitment to providing vegans, vegetarians and omnivores alike with healthy and affordable dishes in a warm, friendly and casual atmosphere. The menu is built upon the rich, multi-cultural culinary influences found throughout the Caribbean, Central and South America, West Africa, Southeast Asian, Gulf South and beyond and features eclectic and traditional/traditionally-inspired dishes with an emphasis on fresh, local ingredients, as well as unique and little-known flavors from around the world. Exotic fruit such as juice of the cocoa fruit (cacau), cupuacu, graviola (sour sop), caja and caju infuse Carmo's juice and cocktail menu with exciting new flavors.
Kensington, MD
“Feel good restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Our dinner at Carmo offered a refreshing break from more traditional New Orleans cuisine and restaurant experiences on our recent vacation. The food was healthy and delicious -- I had a salmon salad in which the fish tasted super fresh and expertly seasoned. My daughters enjoyed making their drink selections from the exotic juices menu. The atmosphere was casual and relaxed, and the proprietors were so nice that their goodwill was infectious. The experience left us feeling healthy and in good spirits!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dana H, Owner at Carmo, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Karen,

Thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor. I'm thrilled to hear our food left you "feeling healthy and in good spirits." Instead of relying on fried Cajun food, we try to set ourselves apart from standard New Orleans restaurants by serving tropical fare that's both delicious and nutritious. I'm glad you and your daughters enjoyed everything. Hope to see you back again soon!

Iowa
“Unbelievably good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I've written this review three times now, and each time the words fall short. I'm in love with this restaurant. I had a vegan Rico (my friend had the carnivore version), and it was amazing. I also had an Esmerelda salad; can't say enough about it either. So just how good was this place? I was visiting the city of New Orleans, with its hundreds of restaurants, and guess where I went for lunch the very next day? On the 2nd trip, I had a Carmo salad, along with another Rico. I'll be dreaming about this food. Wish I lived a few hundred miles closer. I'll give it 6 out of 5 stars. You gotta try this restaurant, ESPECIALLY if you are vegetarian/vegan. The friend who ordered the pulled pork Rico was equally impressed, so this is a great place for non-veggies as well.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dana H, Owner at Carmo, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. I love that you're in love with Carmo! Considering there are many great restaurants in New Orleans, I'm honored you dined with us twice during your trip. Thanks again for your enthusiastic support, and I hope you get a chance to visit again soon.

Dana, Owner
“If I could eat there every day, I would be a vegan!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Delicious !! Everything was very fresh and the people that work there are fantastic. Great cocktails as well.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dana H, Owner at Carmo, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thanks Suzanne! Looking forward to your next meal with us!

Best wishes,
Boston
“Great lunch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Vegetarian friendly (my wife) and good for carnivores (me). We had a very good lunch at this establishment. My wife had the Veggie King sandwich and I had the Rico sandwich, both of which were fresh and tasty. Staff were friendly and efficient. All in all a great first time visit and true to the reviews!

Dana H, Owner at Carmo, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor. I'm glad to know you and your wife thought your lunch was fresh and tasty. We make sure our menu is diverse so that both vegetarians and carnivores can find something delicious to eat. Hope you get a chance to dine with us again soon!

Chatham, Ontario, Canada
“Finally... vegetables!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

NOLA is known for it's po'boys and deep fried foods... Carmo is an absolute breath of fresh air with its DELICIOUS seafood, veggie, vegan and gluten-free food. Seriously, their food is amazing. My husband loves meat and we split two salads and two entrees and he loved them too. Staff were super friendly and helpful in recommending sights to see and music to catch.

Visited December 2012
Dana H, Owner at Carmo, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Hi Becca,

Thank you so much for your review. Plenty of restaurants in New Orleans serve fried Cajun food, so I'm happy to know you think our menu is "an absolute breath of fresh air." Which salads and entrees did you try? Any favorites?

All of us here love meeting tourists and pointing them to our favorite sights to see. I'm glad to know you appreciated our warm and friendly service. I hope you had a fantastic trip, and hope to see you back again soon.