“Perfect from start to finish” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mr. John's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #83 of 1,540 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Josephine
Transit: St Charles Avenue Street Car RTA
Chicago, Illinois
“Perfect from start to finish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

A wonderful blend of creole and steakhouse. The filet was one of the best I've ever had. Fried green tomatoes with crab were delicious as were the BBQ shrimp. The creme brulee was also very good. Our server was helpful, but not annoying. We were staying in the Garden District so it was a nice walk from our hotel. Can't wait to return!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Mississippi
“Great service but we didnt enjoy the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

my husband and I, age 40-50, live less than an hour from NOLA and visit often. My favorite steak is Dickie Brennans steakhouse in the French Quarter which I am in quite a lot, last meal there was last week. Best blue cheese wedge and filet on the planet in my opine! we visited Mr. Johns due to the awesome reviews and friend recommendations. The service was very good! excellent, attentive staff from the beginning to the end.The ambiance is also very nice. it was a pleasant dining experience. the food just wasnt my thing. We started with seared Yellowfin. the quality of the tuna was excellent, as is to be expected. it was rolled in peppercorn which we generally enjoy. We both agreed there was too much pepper. it was a bit too hot, and we love heat. we went straight to entrees from there. i had the petite filet with loaded potato, he had the strip, which was recommended as a house specialty, and a potato with butter. two bites in we both decided we would have been better off at dickie brennans. In fairness, i think it is just a personal taste thing. at Mr. Johns, they season the steak with salt to the point that you can taste the salt. I dont like that. At dickie brennans all you taste is the beef. I dont like a lot of sodium in my meals, further, they pour melted butter on top like Ruths Chris does I believe. Again, just not my thing. i like a good piece of steak, grilled medium rare and left alone. In honesty, Mr. Johns advertises their cooking process i should have read it, understood i wouldnt like it and gone to dickie brennans instead. We wont be back simply because there is a steakhouse we like better nearby.Also, i thought the presentation of the steaks was lacking, my filet came on a large plate with sizzling splattered butter all over it and my small filet sitting in the middle. it wasnt appealing to me. As we waited for the check the smell of the butter was even bothering me. if you are into rich food,this is probably a great place. If you watch your sodium intake and prefer just simply good clean grilled meat, you are better off elsewhere.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“Not to miss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Take the trolly and take the time to have some of the best steak you will ever had. All three of the shrimp appetizers were great. And the gluttony red zin was the perfect pairing

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Delicious dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

A wonderful meal from start to finish and a fun ride back on the trolley. The she crab soup was really good as was the petite filet.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oxford, NC
“Fabulous Meal, Great Atomosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This was our last meal in NOLA and we were not disappointed. Some of the other reviewers must have had a hangover which caused negativity! We split the bacon wrapped stuffed shrimp appetizer and it was awesome. The French Onion soup was hard to eat but had good flavor. The she-crab soup was well prepared and tasty with lots of crab. We order filet mignon and ribeye steaks which were cooked to perfection. There was nothing negative at all and there was too much food to boot. I highly recommend this place.

Visited July 2013